Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

When Eccleston turned them down why didn't they call Paul McGann instead of John Hurt

Old 03-11-2013, 18:41
James_Vick
Inactive Member

When Eccleston turned them down why didn't they call Paul McGann instead of John Hurt?

Up until recentaly we believed McGann's Doctor fought in and ended the Time War. Why Moffat though it was a good idea too create another Doctor when Eccleston turned it down is beyond me. They should have just called up Paul McGann, he still looks looks close enough to what he did in 1996 that it would be believable, he does look a little older but that can be explain easily as we don't know how long the McGann body lasted for.

Please don't misquote me and think that I don't like John Hurt, I do like him he's a fantastic and it'll be interesting to see his interpenetration of the Doctor if nothing else. But the main reason this annoys me somewhat is that McGann is the most unappreciated Doctor of all due to all having one on-screen adventure, he really deserves more screen time and he what's appear in the show again so I really don't get why Moffat's did what he did but then again why that man does anything is beyond me.
James_Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 03-11-2013, 18:46
Benjamin Sisko
Forum Member

Big Finish audios have put McGann's incarnation as lasting the best part of about 300 years! (So roughly as long as Matt's)

But I'm guessing we'll find out soon enough about Hurt. McGann may still be involved yet, Eccleston too, otherwise we will have two mystery regenerations...
Benjamin Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:46
saladfingers81
Forum Member

Cant you ask your 'source' the answer to this question? How are any forum members supposed to answer this question when we haven't a) seen the episode b) worked on the show c) read Steven Moffats mind.

Its almost as if you've posed an unanswerable question for the purposes of slating Moffat for the 1000th time in a few days.
saladfingers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:52
James_Vick
Inactive Member

Cant you ask your 'source' the answer to this question? How are any forum members supposed to answer this question when we haven't a) seen the episode b) worked on the show c) read Steven Moffats mind.

Its almost as if you've posed an answerable question for the purposes of slating Moffat for the 1000th time in a few days. You're making alot of noise on this forum while saying very little of substance I'm afraid.
I'm asking for people to say why they think Moffat didn't call Paul. I don't actual expect them too know the answer, same goes for my source, how is he/she suppost to know what Moffat was thinking.
Old 03-11-2013, 18:54
be more pacific
Forum Member

Where's the evidence that John Hurt was hired as a replacement for Christopher Eccleston? Hurt is not exactly the sort of actor who would be a last minute replacement.

It looks very much like the main story is based around the concept of Hurt as a "secret" rogue Doctor. It seems likely that Hurt's Doctor (whichever number he may be) was always going to be someone other than Eccleston or McGann.
be more pacific is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:57
SilenceWillFall
Forum Member

From everything that Moffat said it sounds like he has been playing with the idea that there is an unknown Doctor for a while in his mind and IMO it's very likely that tha casting of John hurt has absolutely nothing to do with Eccleston.
SilenceWillFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 18:58
James_Vick
Inactive Member

Where's the evidence that John Hurt was hired as a replacement for Christopher Eccleston? Hurt is not exactly the sort of actor who would be a last minute replacement.

It looks very much like the main story is based around the concept of Hurt as a "secret" rogue Doctor. It seems likely that Hurt's Doctor (whichever number he may be) was always going to be someone other than Eccleston or McGann.
That's not what my source is saying but if you choose to believe that I can't stop you
Old 03-11-2013, 18:59
James_Vick
Inactive Member

From everything that Moffat said it sounds like he has been playing with the idea that there is an unknown Doctor for a while in his mind and IMO it's very likely that tha casting of John hurt has absolutely nothing to do with Eccleston.
See above ^
Old 03-11-2013, 19:00
CD93
Forum Member

Different Doctor - Different Actor.

If this is the story Moffat wanted... should 8 have been The Doctor that broke the promise?
CD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:00
be more pacific
Forum Member

That's not what my source is saying but if you choose to believe that I can't stop you
So what is your "source" saying?
Old 03-11-2013, 19:01
James_Vick
Inactive Member

Also Moffat also said he's been lying is arse off so I don't just a single thing that comes out of this mouth anymore
Old 03-11-2013, 19:02
soulou
Forum Member

Paul McGann may be popular with "fans" but his presence would mean little to the casual viewer, which is probably the majority of viewers. He is just that guy from that awful movie. John Hurt is a big, well respected name. Can you imagine the final scenes of The Name of the Doctor having the same impact with Paul as they did with John Hurt? I can't.
soulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:03
James_Vick
Inactive Member

Paul McGann may be popular with "fans" but his presence would mean little to the casual viewer, which is probably the majority of viewers. He is just that guy from that awful movie. John Hurt is a big, well respected name. Can you imagine the final scenes of The Name of the Doctor having the same impact with Paul as they did with John Hurt? I can't.
IT'S THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY IT SHOULD BE FOR THE FANS NOT THE CASUAL VIEWERS
Old 03-11-2013, 19:04
James_Vick
Inactive Member

So what is your "source" saying?
Exactly what I said at the begin of this post, that Hurt was called in when Eccleston dropped out.

Anyway please can we get back on topic
Old 03-11-2013, 19:06
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

(deleted, cos I was typing gibberish).
chuffnobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:06
be more pacific
Forum Member

You are Ian Levine and I claim my five pounds!
Old 03-11-2013, 19:08
chuffnobbler
Forum Member

Maybe I wasn't the only one typing gibberish.
chuffnobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:09
James_Vick
Inactive Member

You are Ian Levine and I claim my five pounds!
I wish I was Ian Levine, man's a legend
Old 03-11-2013, 19:16
CD93
Forum Member

Now you are just Levine in disguise, admit it
CD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:18
James_Vick
Inactive Member

Can we PLEASE get back on topic
Old 03-11-2013, 19:19
DanielF
Forum Member

Is Levine the middleman to the source then?
DanielF is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:22
be more pacific
Forum Member

Well, he's done a lot for missing episodes, but he also claims to have written Attack of the Cybermen. So it's swings and roundabouts.

I suggest you look at the sort of Doctor Who we would get if Ian was in charge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUS9c8Ovs6c

The guy absolutely refuses to cut a single line, no matter how badly written or tautological it may be. It's as if the mass junking of actual episodes has made him OCD about creating a visual record of every abandoned or proposed project.
Old 03-11-2013, 19:28
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

I'm inclined to believe that as well actually.
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 19:32
Shawn_Lunn
Forum Member

Scary thought
Shawn_Lunn is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 20:13
James_Vick
Inactive Member

For godsake can we PLEASE get back on topic