Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Three to cease trading with Carphone Warehouse

Old 07-11-2013, 00:45
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Three will cease trading with Carphone Warehouse from 4 December 2013. They did the same with Phones4U in April 2012.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/27....WmAywxAq.dpuf
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:23
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Three really are going solo.

No quidco/tcb
No CPW
No P4U
jabbamk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27
enapace
Forum Member

That isn't to surprising honestly as they want you go directly to them. But also because Three are opening more and more retail shops so they likely think they don't need CW. They some of the cheapest contracts and best value ones around and offering free LTE expect they think this will help them move forward better.

CW will hate losing there custom if customers numbers keep increasing. Three likely think there offers are good enough and just need greater brand awareness. Bit of advertising wouldn't go a miss you often see EE and Vodafone not so much O2 as others but rarely see Three at all. Free LTE is likely going gain them a fair amount of customers by this time next year.

Jabba not sure P4U was for same reason as O2 have cut of new contracts through them as well. P4U are just terrible I've never known a business like them.
enapace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:25
corf
Forum Member

Three's word of mouth is so strong right now, they probably don't need advertising.
corf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:34
qasdfdsaq
Forum Member

Indeed, and while they're still the "smallest" network in terms of customers, the incumbents (well, two of them) did have a 20-year headstart.

As I recall 3 has more customers now than Vodafone and O2 combined when 3 was launched.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46
finbaar
Forum Member

It is a pity. I would never take a contract out where the phone has a sim lock. But at the moment I can only see myself buying sim free phones anyway. I do have a Three PAYG sim though and I may make this my main number.
finbaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 13:01
japaul
Forum Member

Indeed, and while they're still the "smallest" network in terms of customers, the incumbents (well, two of them) did have a 20-year headstart.

As I recall 3 has more customers now than Vodafone and O2 combined when 3 was launched.
Nowhere near. When Three launched Vodafone and O2 had about 12 million active customers each. Three now have ~8 million active. In fact O2 have added more customers to their total than Three since three launched.
japaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 13:15
qasdfdsaq
Forum Member

Bleh, you're right, I have no idea where the numbers in my head came from :-/

Major brain fart there.
Old 07-11-2013, 13:38
Kierankay
Forum Member

Three's word of mouth is so strong right now, they probably don't need advertising.
The only word of mouth I hear about three is how bad their signal is in school. Meanwhile O2 and Vodafone have full bars.
Kierankay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 13:48
daveyfs
Forum Member

The only word of mouth I hear about three is how bad their signal is in school. Meanwhile O2 and Vodafone have full bars.
Probably not 3G though.
daveyfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 16:09
Kierankay
Forum Member

Probably not 3G though.
As I live in a city (Glasgow) there is 3G everywhere here on O2 and VF, there is even 4G available.
Old 07-11-2013, 16:26
ic
Forum Member

But full bars mean exactly naff all .
ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 17:12
Richard_T
Forum Member

But full bars mean exactly naff all .
... But a full display of signal bars looks good on your phone, why settle with two bars from three, when you can get all five with O2 or Vodafone regardless of the fact that the full bars represent 2G, and threes pitiful two bars are DC HSDPA+
Richard_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 18:01
Kierankay
Forum Member

... But a full display of signal bars looks good on your phone, why settle with two bars from three, when you can get all five with O2 or Vodafone regardless of the fact that the full bars represent 2G, and threes pitiful two bars are DC HSDPA+
Actually it's full Bars HSDPA+ O2 and Vodafone and 1 bar HSDPA+ on Three if your lucky or in certain parts of the building no signal at all.
Old 07-11-2013, 18:45
Zee_Bukhari
Forum Member

Actually it's full Bars HSDPA+ O2 and Vodafone and 1 bar HSDPA+ on Three if your lucky or in certain parts of the building no signal at all.
and the most funny thing about that is you'll get better call quality on Three 1 bar then you would on O2's or Vodafone's 5 bars thanks to HD voice. You'd most likely get better data speeds on Three's 1 bar too.
Zee_Bukhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 19:00
neil79
Forum Member

No signal whatsoever from 3 where I live. All the other networks have a decent signal. 3 are too expensive for such a patchy network.
neil79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 19:26
qasdfdsaq
Forum Member

What is this mysterious HSDPA+ I keep hearing about. Surely you mean HSPA+
Old 07-11-2013, 20:29
Quackers
Forum Member

Until they scream from the roof tops they have UK call centres '3' will never get my business. The End.
Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 20:51
Zee_Bukhari
Forum Member

No signal whatsoever from 3 where I live. All the other networks have a decent signal. 3 are too expensive for such a patchy network.
Three have 98% 3G coverage, with EE having a tiny bit more, we've just found out Vodafone have the least coverage at less than 90%, O2 at around 90% (don't believe it) so it is hardly a patchy network.
Zee_Bukhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 20:55
jabbamk1
Forum Member

Three have 98% 3G coverage, with EE having a tiny bit more, we've just found out Vodafone have the least coverage at less than 90%, O2 at around 90% (don't believe it) so it is hardly a patchy network.
O2 achieved 90% population coverage this time last year. (November 2012)
Old 08-11-2013, 17:47
Three
Forum Member

Even if this was true, times were different back then. Smartphones are very popular these days and affordable and that's helped Three to grow it's customer base.

I'd rather have a low signal on Three than a full signal on O2/Vodafone/EE. Where Three does have a signal, regardless of strength in terms of bars, it's very stable. I can still get a decent data connection (enough to stream a YouTube video) on 1-2 bars with Three.

Until they scream from the roof tops they have UK call centres '3' will never get my business. The End.
This is a good point. There CS is rubbish.
Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 22:18
neil79
Forum Member

Just checked the 3 coverage map where I live and they clearly have poor indoor coverage. I don't want to freeze my bits off to send a text or make a phone call.

3 are too expensive so even if their coverage improved they would need to offer me a better deal.
neil79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 22:21
thebennyboy
Forum Member

Just checked the 3 coverage map where I live and they clearly have poor indoor coverage. I don't want to freeze my bits off to send a text or make a phone call.

3 are too expensive so even if their coverage improved they would need to offer me a better deal.
If you think Three is expensive then your a complete tight arse. You should take a look at EE then decide if Three is expensive
thebennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 22:22
jabbamk1
Forum Member

3 are too expensive
I agre... Wait! What?????
Old 08-11-2013, 22:24
Kierankay
Forum Member

I would say they are the cheapest out of all networks.