Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Lily Allen and the John Lewis Christmas Advert

Old 08-11-2013, 11:06
sunrisegirl
Forum Member

After weeks of rumours, the John Lewis 2013 Christmas ad is today revealed. Its musical centrepiece is Lily Allen covering Keane's Somewhere Only We Know.

The animated ad is based on a short story about the spirit of Christmas dubbed 'The Bear And The Hare', and has been put together by agency Adam&Eve/DDB. You can watch it below.

Somewhere Only We Know is published by Universal Music Publishing, while Lily Allen's label is the now-Warner-owned Parlophone. Her management is handled by Rocket Management. All sides are understood to have been integral in closing the deal with John Lewis. Annie Lennox is also believed to have been in the running to record the ad's soundtrack.

The new John Lewis campaign is reported to have a whopping 7m marketing fund behind it. Such heavy Q4 TV exposure would be perfect timing for the BRIT Award-winning Allen, whose third studio album is due to be released in the new year.

The ad will be shown during the break of this Saturday's X Factor on ITV1.

The magic formula of a young act covering a classic song has been evident in the last four above-the-line John Lewis TV ad campaigns - all of which are known in trade sync circles for setting in motion the "John Lewis effect" of accelerated sales and exposure.

Recent examples have included, Ellie Goulding covering Elton John classic Your Song, taking her new version of the song to the top of the iTunes chart, and Gabrielle Aplin's cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Power Of Love - which went on to become an Official UK No.1 single.

You can watch the John Lewis 2013 Christmas ad below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWig2WARb0
sunrisegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12
Diane_Rob
Inactive Member

Aw that's sweet and lovely, lovely cover by Lily too!
Diane_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:37
Hav_mor91
Forum Member

I really liked it a nice theme, good animation and a good cover by Lily too it's a bit sacchrine but when are the JL adverts not
Hav_mor91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:39
Heavenly
Forum Member

Love the ad, thank God Lily has done the song, cannot abide Keane.
Heavenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:41
gashead
Forum Member

After weeks of rumours, the John Lewis 2013 Christmas ad is today revealed. Its musical centrepiece is Lily Allen covering Keane's Somewhere Only We Know.

The animated ad is based on a short story about the spirit of Christmas dubbed 'The Bear And The Hare', and has been put together by agency Adam&Eve/DDB. You can watch it below.

Somewhere Only We Know is published by Universal Music Publishing, while Lily Allen's label is the now-Warner-owned Parlophone. Her management is handled by Rocket Management. All sides are understood to have been integral in closing the deal with John Lewis. Annie Lennox is also believed to have been in the running to record the ad's soundtrack.

The new John Lewis campaign is reported to have a whopping 7m marketing fund behind it. Such heavy Q4 TV exposure would be perfect timing for the BRIT Award-winning Allen, whose third studio album is due to be released in the new year.

The ad will be shown during the break of this Saturday's X Factor on ITV1.

The magic formula of a young act covering a classic song has been evident in the last four above-the-line John Lewis TV ad campaigns - all of which are known in trade sync circles for setting in motion the "John Lewis effect" of accelerated sales and exposure.

Recent examples have included, Ellie Goulding covering Elton John classic Your Song, taking her new version of the song to the top of the iTunes chart, and Gabrielle Aplin's cover of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Power Of Love - which went on to become an Official UK No.1 single.

You can watch the John Lewis 2013 Christmas ad below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWig2WARb0
Great bit of PR/ marketing blurb there, but I'd hardly describe Lilly Allen as a "young act", nor Somewhere Only We Know as a "classic".
gashead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:46
Everything Goes
Forum Member

Aww that is lovely
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:59
Smudged
Forum Member

meh

if it's a Xmas ad they should do a Xmas song imo.
Smudged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:36
JamieHT
Forum Member

I'm the opposite. I can't stand Lily's voice/pronunciation.
JamieHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:40
Heavenly
Forum Member

Its not that I am a Lily Cole fan...but anything apart from that tit from Keane is an improvement.
Heavenly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:58
MrMarple
Forum Member

Its not that I am a Lily Cole fan...but anything apart from that tit from Keane is an improvement.
Erm........ Lily Cole isn't singing it, or am I missing something?
MrMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:03
Microkorg
Forum Member

Grrr
Thought the silly bint had 'retired'?
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 13:12
dekkard
Forum Member

Just bore witness to said ad, would be better with no sound an horrific cover of an average song by an average band. Made worse by Lily Allen's pathetic vocal ability. But then again anything is made worse if you attach Lily Allen to it!!
dekkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:02
Smudged
Forum Member

Just bore witness to said ad, would be better with no sound an horrific cover of an average song by an average band. Made worse by Lily Allen's pathetic vocal ability. But then again anything is made worse if you attach Lily Allen to it!!
Don't worry, you'll only be hearing it about 200 times between now and Xmas
Old 08-11-2013, 14:12
dee123
Forum Member

I don't like either's pronunciation of the song
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:13
Mrfenty
Forum Member

Don't worry, you'll only be hearing it about 200 times between now and Xmas
I think thats the desired effect, this a great PR move for Lily slowly moving back into the publics awareness, building up some interest before she releases new music early next year.
Mrfenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 14:43
Smudged
Forum Member

I think thats the desired effect, this a great PR move for Lily slowly moving back into the publics awareness, building up some interest before she releases new music early next year.
Adverts rock!
Old 08-11-2013, 15:24
Semierotic
Forum Member

Allen can't sing, but that aside she's a more engaging popstar than most.
Semierotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 15:34
Daisy Bennyboots
Forum Member

Soppy advert. I quite liked the JL ad a few years ago featuring the Smith cover, but this is dreadful. Of all the people with beautiful, haunting voices who could have made it a stunning cover, they inexplicably pick Lily Allen? Why?

I used to like Keane, I thought Hopes And Fears was a good album, but Alan Partridge as ruined their music for me now

Seriously, what a load of sentimental dirge. But then I can see it being attractive to womenchildren everywhere, crying into their Winnie the Pooh stationery.

It's not for me
Daisy Bennyboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 16:07
lovelife7292
Forum Member

like this advert, it's great to have Lily back. Expecting this to be top 10 come christmas week.

I don't think they'll ever beat this though; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLOnR1s74o
lovelife7292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 23:20
squirtle
Forum Member

As adverts starring bears go, I prefer the Muller rice bear. He sings better than Lily Allen and does that cool dance at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhIZ9Xgmpno
squirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:14
dearmrman
Forum Member

I like Lilly Allen, but her vocal abilities really show up as poor on this advert, can't say I like this version of the song.
dearmrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42
Alien_Saxon
Inactive Member

I thought her 5 minutes of fame were up?
Alien_Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42
Seanie(:
Forum Member

I thought that was lovely
Seanie(: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 15:48
babelogue
Forum Member

I like Lilly Allen, but her vocal abilities really show up as poor on this advert, can't say I like this version of the song.
I thought that as well. She's ok with a large full production behind her, but she shouldn't be singing song with such a sparse production, it really shows up how thin and weak her vocals are.
babelogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 02:54
Eric_Blob
Forum Member

like this advert, it's great to have Lily back. Expecting this to be top 10 come christmas week.

I don't think they'll ever beat this though; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSLOnR1s74o
I wouldn't be surprised if it went top 10 this week or next week, to be honest.
Eric_Blob is offline   Reply With Quote