Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Lady GaGa vs Sir Cliff

Old 08-11-2013, 20:07
jimmy_reed
Forum Member

both release albums on monday, has the tennis loving OAP got the power to outsell Stephanie German Otter
jimmy_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-11-2013, 20:27
wise-up
Forum Member

Aww I was expecting there to have been some petty celebrity slanging match, I was interested in what cliff would use as insults. Disappointed
wise-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 20:30
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

I'd say the Gaga's new album will sell better. Cliff is the epitome of naff and probably doesn't have many fans left apart from grannies, middle-aged housewives and the types of people who buy 1 CD a year in Tesco. I actually saw Sir Cliff in Tesco once. He was scrutinising his receipt
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:40
gertrude
Forum Member

I'd say the Gaga's new album will sell better. Cliff is the epitome of naff and probably doesn't have many fans left apart from grannies, middle-aged housewives and the types of people who buy 1 CD a year in Tesco. I actually saw Sir Cliff in Tesco once. He was scrutinising his receipt

How patronising is this!!!

Well, I hope Cliff proves you wrong

1/ I can't imagine Gaga singing as Cliff did at Wimbledon

2/ The negative about (Sir) Cliff, (and you) is that he buys

in Tesco's
gertrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:10
thewaywardbus
Forum Member

Good example of the same snobby attitude you complain about radio one having!

Hypocritical maybe?
thewaywardbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:16
MrMeatAndPotato
Forum Member

Hypocritical maybe?
I think the most amusing part is that said poster happens to be a Saturdays fan.

So how they can pass judgement on other artists is beyond me
MrMeatAndPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:32
AdzPower
Forum Member

You're discounting a ton of acts that release albums next week, Little Mix and Keane to name a few.
But yes I think Gaga will vastly outsell Cliff, and tbh I don't see how it matters.
He's been going for over 5 decades!
Gaga is one of the current popstar fads and in 10-20 years time if she's still around and selling as strongly as Cliff at his age then I think she may become as legendary as him.
AdzPower is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 13:53
GagaKeshaMinaj
Forum Member

Maybe Cliff should release his new album exclusively with Tesco as it did really well for other A listers such as Queen Nadine Coyle!
He may have a shot a number 1 then!

Only joking, seriously though, Gaga SHOULD be number 1 and probably almost definitely will be with all of these preorders! Little Mix will be closest at 2 and I didn't even know Cliff was releasing an album soo...

By the way, I bought Insatiable...
GagaKeshaMinaj is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 17:25
cnbcwatcher
Forum Member

How patronising is this!!!

Well, I hope Cliff proves you wrong

1/ I can't imagine Gaga singing as Cliff did at Wimbledon

2/ The negative about (Sir) Cliff, (and you) is that he buys

in Tesco's
I just never liked him and I don't know anyone who does. Even my mother, who is in her 60s and normally into middle of the road music, doesn't really like his stuff. Gaga might end up lasting as long as Cliff, who knows? She might not always do electro pop music. She has a future as a jazz singer/entertainer. Cliff to me is the epitome of naff. His Christmas songs are particularly bad. Millennium Prayer anyone? It doesn't bother me that he shops in Tesco's, he's entitled to shop wherever he wants.
cnbcwatcher is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 18:49
cliffy91
Forum Member

I will be buying the Cliff album and have no interest in Gaga's music but I fully expect her to get number 1 with her album,Cliff will make number 7 I think
cliffy91 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 19:45
Microkorg
Forum Member

I'd say the Cliff's new album will sell better. Gaga is the epitome of naff and probably doesn't have many fans left apart from mental 'stans'
Edited for truth
Microkorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 23:55
Amanda_Raymond
Forum Member

There were 8 new entries in the album top 10 this week, looks like the same could happen next week, Cliff could struggle to make the top 10. GaGa will probably be number one
Amanda_Raymond is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 21:06
sparkle22
Forum Member

cliff is a great performer check out his music dvd's especially soulicious where he duetted with many soul artists.
the attitude in this country is a joke just because he is a Christian doesn't sell sex to his fans doesn't mean he deserves to be mocked like he has over the years.
yes some of his dancing on stage can be cheesy but he regularly sells out shows his last 2 albums have gone top ten.
if he was really as hated as many people think that wouldn't have happened.
sparkle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:42
Alrightmate
Forum Member

I wouldn't underestimate the size of Cliff Richard's fanbase.

He's not my cup of tea, but he seems to be doing okay if he hasn't been on a reality TV show eating insects just yet.
Alrightmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:28
dee123
Forum Member

Hypocritical maybe?
I think the most amusing part is that said poster happens to be a Saturdays fan.

So how they can pass judgement on other artists is beyond me
But he is terrible.
dee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:15
Merity
Forum Member

I wouldn't underestimate the size of Cliff Richard's fanbase.
I agree.

Still going strong after 55 years - record sales of over 250 million....sold out concerts....

He still has a loyal fanbase in the UK and all over the world.

Not for one moment though has he a chance of beating Lady Gaga or some of the other album releases out this week ....but it doesnt really matter for Sir Cliff - at this stage of his career it's all about enjoying making music for his fans.

He also has a DVD out this week of his Rock and Roll concert filmed in the Sydney Opera House - his DVDS always sell well.....

He's a legend - how many of todays stars would love a career like his.

PS This article says in a nutshell why Sir Cliff is still going strong today. Some great statistics and comments....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/s...quotes-2722610
Merity is offline   Reply With Quote