Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Films that actors were going to do but didn't due to their death

Old 09-11-2013, 09:51
little-monster
Forum Member

I was thinking about films that were going to be played by a different actor but never did due to that actor's death.

I know that Aaliyah was meant to do The Matrix and play the role that Jada Pinkett did. She was also meant to do Honey, which Jessica Alba did, and was also going to do Sparkle, after Whitney Houston fought hard to get her in the role, which eventually got shelved for several years and was eventually played by Jordin Sparks.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:28
Old.Tallen
Forum Member

The only one I can think of is Dark Blood, the film River Phoenix was making when he died.

As far as I'm aware, this film never got finished.
Old.Tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53
cobwebsoup
Forum Member

Leslie Neilsen was going to star in a fourth Naked Gun movie back in 2010 but he sadly passed away before it was filmed.
cobwebsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56
Alien_Saxon
Inactive Member

Bruce Lee had apparently agreed to play a villain in the James Bond movie "Man with a golden gun" before he passed away.
Alien_Saxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22
Susie_Wilcox
Inactive Member

Marilyn Monroe was signed to star in 'Kiss Me Stupid' with Dean Martin but died before production began...Kim Novak took the role (just as well...dreadful film).

Jeffrey Hunter (King of Kings, Capt. Kirk in Star Trek pilot episode) signed to film The Desperados in 1969 but died of brain haemorrhage soon after.
Susie_Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:12
Susie_Wilcox
Inactive Member

Steve McQueen was offered the role of the bodyguard in The Bodyguard opposite Diana Ross when the film was going to be made in 1976 but it kept getting postponed and of course he died years before it got made.

Poltergeist actress Dominique Dunne was signed for a role in V: The Final Battle (1984) when she was murdered by her ex-boyfriend.
Susie_Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:35
markcuk
Forum Member

The only one I can think of is Dark Blood, the film River Phoenix was making when he died.

This was actually finished this year... you will find it if you look hard enough!!

Mark
markcuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 14:03
Takae
Forum Member

Charlotte Coleman
Meant to appear in Bright Young Things and Anita and Me. She was to meet about appearing in The Heart of Me (at the time, known as The Echo) and The Magdalene Sisters, but she died before the meetings could take place.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 14:27
Walter Neff
Forum Member

James Dean was scheduled to star in the Rocky Graziano story, but when he died Paul Newman took over the role, and he was a smash hit in Somebody Up There Likes Me. I don't think that Dean would have been so memorable in that role.
Walter Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 14:36
Summeriris
Forum Member

Jack Benny was due to do 'The Sunshine Boys' and died before filming started. George Burns stepped in and won the Oscar.
Summeriris is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 17:41
Michael_Eve
Forum Member

Montgomery Clift was due to star with Elizabeth Taylor in 'Reflections in A Golden Eye' and did 'The Defector' in 1966 as a 'warm-up' to show he could still act after being considered uninsurable since 'Freud' (in which he was great, but there were lots of shenanigans on that film; from what I've heard, not least because of the director)

Marlon Brando took the role after Clift died.

Ironically, imho 'The Defector' is a pretty interesting film, and not just because it was Monty's last role before his death, and 'Reflections...' is absolutely dreadful.
Michael_Eve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 20:05
mialicious
Forum Member

bill murray replaced john belushi in ghostbusters.
mialicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 20:39
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Weren't Roy Kinnear and John Candy both filming when they died? I'm not sure if there parts were cut or the films cancelled.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 23:34
Louloumcm21
Forum Member

River Phoenix was also scheduled to film Interview With A Vampire, Christian Slater was recast in the role after Phoenix's death.
Louloumcm21 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:36
Gusto Brunt
Forum Member

Weren't Roy Kinnear and John Candy both filming when they died? I'm not sure if there parts were cut or the films cancelled.
Roy died in 1988, following a fall from a horse, making the movie, The Return of the Musketeers.

John Candy died six years later of a heart attack. I don't think they were ever in the same movie together though.
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:16
007Fusion
Forum Member

Chris Farley was due to play Shrek, even recorded his lines but was replaced by Mike Myers upon his death. There was another film too, that he was due to star in but i can't remember the name.
007Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:27
Callum_Brown
Forum Member

Presumably Richard Harris was signed on for a few more Harry Potters before Michael Gambon took over.
Callum_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 13:46
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Roy died in 1988, following a fall from a horse, making the movie, The Return of the Musketeers.

John Candy died six years later of a heart attack. I don't think they were ever in the same movie together though.
degsyhufc was referring to 2 separate films.

Kinnear's part in the Musketeers film still stands (they used a double and a soundalike in some scenes).

The makers of Wagons East also used a double for scenes they could not re-write without Candy's character.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 14:42
brumilad
Forum Member

Poltergeist actress Dominique Dunne was signed for a role in V: The Final Battle (1984) when she was murdered by her ex-boyfriend.
Sorry to be picky but it was the first V mini-series she was filming when she was murdered, playing Robin.
brumilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 14:45
brumilad
Forum Member

She wasn't signed but the producers of Superman apparently wanted Joan Crawford for Ma Kent. She was too ill however and died before production.
brumilad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 15:42
degsyhufc
Forum Member

degsyhufc was referring to 2 separate films.

Kinnear's part in the Musketeers film still stands (they used a double and a soundalike in some scenes).

The makers of Wagons East also used a double for scenes they could not re-write without Candy's character.
Thanks. Yes those are what I was referring to.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 22:44
sarahj1986
Forum Member

Heath Ledger was filming the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus when he died
sarahj1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:34
CLL Dodge
Forum Member

Vic Morrow was famously decapitated along with 2 kids whilst filming The Twilight Zone. He's still in the picture, the kids roles were cut.
CLL Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:51
Jamie_181
Forum Member

Heath Ledger was filming the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus when he died
Would he have been in the Dark Knight Rises? I think the film would have benefited from a few scenes from him, locked up in Arkham, or perhaps involved in the prison breakout scenes. It's a great shame.
Jamie_181 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 13:21
AngiBear
Forum Member

Oliver Reed died during the filming of Gladiator. They had to shoot some scenes using CGI and one using a mannequin.
AngiBear is offline   Reply With Quote