Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Sam Bailey is overrated.

Old 11-11-2013, 15:03
JustArun
Forum Member

Yes she sings exceptionally well, but last I checked this isn't 'The Voice UK'. She reminds me of Leanne Mitchell winner of the first series of The Voice UK. There's also the fact that if she does win, the recording process will see her leaving her family for quite a bit and I don't think she wants that.
JustArun is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-11-2013, 15:06
David_Morgan
Inactive Member

What everybody seems to be saying is the SB has a great voice and is personable - though not overly charismatic. To me, that sounds accurate and doesn't overrate her at all.

Perhaps she can win on just having a good voice - it may be enough.
David_Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:07
Nastyman69
Forum Member

Personally I think she is fantastic and will get some sort of deal but I don't think she'll be successful like many people on here claim
Nastyman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:11
Tim_A
Forum Member

I doubt Sam Bailey has ambitions of being some massive superstar to be honest. I think she would be quite content with releasing a cover album, doing a bit of gigging and making a tidy sum of money for her family whilst getting some recognition for her talent at the same time.

Not what Syco want.
Tim_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:15
Molly Bloom
Forum Member

I generally like her but I thought her performance of New York, New York was dreadful. It was just bellowing. Shouting the lyrics does not automatically make a good performance and I thought the judges praise of her was ridiculously over the top.

However, if she released an album after the show I would probably listen to it. I've enjoyed her singing apart from this week, which was too Tesco Mary for my tastes.
Molly Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:25
GibsonSG
Forum Member

Yes she sings exceptionally well, but last I checked this isn't 'The Voice UK'. She reminds me of Leanne Mitchell winner of the first series of The Voice UK. There's also the fact that if she does win, the recording process will see her leaving her family for quite a bit and I don't think she wants that.
Surely when looking at the winner of a singing competition the vocal should have some bearing on the issue. The much trotted out "this isn't the Voice" is getting tiring. No it isn't and I agree image and stage presence come into it but first and foremost there is the vocal.
GibsonSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:31
my name is joe
Forum Member

i think calling someone overrated is the most overrated critique it's possible to make of someone
my name is joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:32
mrsgrumpy49
Forum Member

No it isn't and I agree image and stage presence come into it but first and foremost there is the vocal.
I actually think she has been improving in this. Imo there is something emerging which is more than just them prettying her up.
mrsgrumpy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:38
Treewatcher
Forum Member

Loved her from her first audition and she continues to sing better than anyone else. I didn't like Leanne from The Voice much so there really is no comparison between those two. She's not over-rated - she is being appreciated by those who know good music when they hear it.
Treewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:39
Roland Mouse
Inactive Member

Yes maybe she should wiggle her bum about, dance with dwarves and light up a joint to appeal to the vacuous kiddies as they are clueless about actual singing.
Roland Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:41
Roland Mouse
Inactive Member

i think calling someone overrated is the most overrated critique it's possible to make of someone
And begs the question why are they not rating singers on singing in a singing competition but instead on how Kool day Iz?
Roland Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 15:46
earldbest
Forum Member

In theory, everyone is overrated.
earldbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:02
duncann
Forum Member

Sam was great in get auditions before the cheap makeover and Sharon choosing the Streisand/Minnelli/Dion back catalogue to sing. If you look back on YouTube I think you can see an earthier more real, throaty singer with a bit of edge who could sell a few albums. Mist music purchasers are over 40. Middle of the road sells slower but longer and for higher prices. It will all depend on Sycophants and if they put as much effort into her releases as they did for Subo.
duncann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:02
shelleyj89
Forum Member

Last time I watched The Voice, the blind auditions aside, it wasn't too disimilar from X Factor.

I don't see that she's overrated. She's getting justified praise for being an excellent singer.
shelleyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:06
stash22
Forum Member

Shes an excellent singer and she has shown that she can rise to the challenge of performing well in all the different themes she has been given. I would be interested to see her take on a more modern song, she said she would like to see a Beyonce or Rhianna song so I hope she will in future weeks. People keep comparing her to Mary, but I didnt think Mary was so good in the upbeat numbers and she struggled with the changing themes - Sam doesnt have that problem.
stash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:15
foxy23
Forum Member

There is no denying she is a very good singer, but a star? Time will tell. She'd be great in theatre, but I really don't think she would set the charts alight!
foxy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:18
Evannah
Forum Member

The X Factor's a singing contest. She can sing. She deserves to win IMO.
Evannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:25
Arnold1
Forum Member

She's a great singer but I wouldn't buy her album. Her performances are quite dated and too similar to other singers.

I was looking for someone with a unique voice and that was Abi, but sadly she's now gone.
Arnold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 16:55
AaronWx
Forum Member

Wrong.
AaronWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 17:07
Helen_Smith3
Forum Member

I wouldn't say that she's overrated because she is very good however if someone Tamera/hannah's age had Sam's voice they wouldn't be getting half the praise that she is. People like her more because she's older/average looking and doesn't look like a typical pop star.
Helen_Smith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 17:11
sgeandhu
Forum Member

I generally like her but I thought her performance of New York, New York was dreadful. It was just bellowing. Shouting the lyrics does not automatically make a good performance and I thought the judges praise of her was ridiculously over the top.

However, if she released an album after the show I would probably listen to it. I've enjoyed her singing apart from this week, which was too Tesco Mary for my tastes.
I agree about "New York, New York" this week - her worst performance imho - too karaoke for my liking.
sgeandhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 17:14
rizzoli_2013
Forum Member

I don't think she is
rizzoli_2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 17:50
ChelseaaKylex

I agree so oveerrated
ChelseaaKylex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 18:21
JustArun
Forum Member

She isn't a star. I feel sorry for those children of hers who'll miss her when she's away on long trips.
JustArun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 18:25
Randysback
Forum Member

OK, so you think she`s over rated. But she is a 1000 miles better than the rest of the rubbish on this year... FACT
Randysback is offline   Reply With Quote