Feminism

SchumpaterSchumpater Posts: 265
Forum Member
Any feminists on digital spy?

Personally I feel that patriarchal structures still viciously protrude out of the fabric of our modern society. Much more work needs to be done, we need a 50/50 gender split in parliament in order to represent society more equally, in order to achieve this aim parties need to continue with all gender shortlists which have been so successful in getting women into parliament.
Furthermore we need the government to ban page 3, the sexual objectification in page 3 breeds rape culture and only serves the white male establishment. White males need to realize that they are not entitled to a daily dose of objectifying woman with their breakfast. Also what are we teaching children if we just allow them to see females breasts from such a young age? It makes women look like sexual objects and makes rape more acceptable in the eyes of young men.

Overall I think there needs to be much stricter government control in order to further the march towards gender equality, I may be a white male myself, but I am aware of my privilege, are you aware of yours?

Comments

• twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern appliances such as dishwashers and microwave ovens has given modern day women to much time to moan about their lot. I blame Thatcher.:cool:
  • johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schumpater wrote: »

Personally I feel that patriarchal structures still viciously protrude out of the fabric of our modern society. Much more work needs to be done, we need a 50/50 gender split in parliament in order to represent society more equally, in order to achieve this aim parties need to continue with all gender shortlists which have been so successful in getting women into parliament.
    Furthermore we need the government to ban page 3, the sexual objectification in page 3 breeds rape culture and only serves the white male establishment. White males need to realize that they are not entitled to a daily dose of objectifying woman with their breakfast. Also what are we teaching children if we just allow them to see females breasts from such a young age? It makes women look like sexual objects and makes rape more acceptable in the eyes of young men.

Overall I think there needs to be much stricter government control in order to further the march towards gender equality, I may be a white male myself, but I am aware of my privilege, are you aware of yours?

First off i actually disagree with these all women shortlists, surely these are actually counterproductive to the feminist movement. I mean surely women should be picked for high roles because they are the best, not because of their sex.
  • SchumpaterSchumpater Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    This is systematic of the sexism women face everyday online.
    We need all women shortlists as otherwise the white men will not pick the women to be in parliament. This is due to patriarchal doctrine which has infected the bedrock of British society.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There are a few, but.... (in my opinion) the recent threads about Feminism in GD have all been unsatisfactory, and have all ended the same way:
    After an early, promising discussion, a group of Cave Men pull up in a car and start shouting random abuse through the windows. And then vanish.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is systematic of the sexism women face everyday online.
    We need all women shortlists as otherwise the white men will not pick the women to be in parliament. This is due to patriarchal doctrine which has infected the bedrock of British society.

If that were true how did Margaret Thatcher get elected to parliament, how did she get elected Conservative leader, how did she get returned as Prime Minister three times ?

Sorry but your thinking on this is lazy and wrong IMHO
    Forum Member
    twogunthom wrote: »
    Modern appliances such as dishwashers and microwave ovens has given modern day women to much time to moan about their lot. I blame Thatcher.:cool:
    First off i actually disagree with these all women shortlists, surely these are actually counterproductive to the feminist movement. I mean surely women should be picked for high roles because they are the best, not because of their sex.
    Landis wrote: »
    There are a few, but.... (in my opinion) the recent threads about Feminism in GD have all been unsatisfactory, and have all ended the same way:
    After an early, promising discussion, a group of Cave Men pull up in a car and start shouting random abuse through the windows. And then vanish.

Neanderthals such wogunthum, gosh. Disgraceful, should be banned IMO
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    am not a fan of "The Sun" but fail to see the problem with page 3, no on is forcing the girls to pose for it, they getting paid good money
    Forum Member
    am not a fan of "The Sun" but fail to see the problem with page 3, no on is forcing the girls to pose for it, they getting paid good money

AKA being exploited by the capitalist system, money is not everything you know
    Forum Member
    AKA being exploited by the capitalist system, money is not everything you know

it is necessary for survival
  • johnny_boi_UKjohnny_boi_UK Posts: 3,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neanderthals such wogunthum, gosh. Disgraceful, should be banned IMO

You mentioned page 3 and how it sexulised women but what about

Music videos and lyrics
    adverts
    tv and films
    games
    Lads mags
    Even some toys
    Not even to mention things on the net
    Forum Member
    Even some toys

what sort of toys :eek:
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do love it when someone professing to be seeking gender equality wants to do that via discrimination and quotas and throws in a bit of racism that page 3 is for white males only.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    All I can see is a feminist calling men sexist for not agreeing with her, sign.
    Forum Member

according the OP profile, she is actually a he
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    according the OP profile, she is actually a he
    him*

Just filling up the word count of my obviously very witty post.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its good to see that feminism is well & truely BACK.

It obv had its heyday in the 70's, it kinda went a bit weird in the 80's with the "Overly-serious student" feminist becoming a stereotypical figure. In the 90's feminism couldnt decide whether it was all "ladette" or a new kinda girly feminism as portrayed by the Spice Girls or Beyonce. In the noughties feminism seemed to disappear, we were back to seeing "hotties" writhing all over pop vids & now, at last, that is being challenged.
    So in 2013 feminism is back, back, BACk- a more bold, confrontational feminism than the fluffy 90's version. Its kinda like the 70's incarnation, except this time with a kinda weary cynicism about society than the more positive movement of the 70's. Social media has helped to bolster this Eg: @everydaysexism

In many ways 2013 reminds me of the 70's, & this is a v obvious similarity.
  • Miss GeorgieMiss Georgie Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    lots of sexisms on this thread

I don't properly understand your post trumpeter but the responses to your pposs just show how sexist conservatives are
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The page 3 thing perhaps would be a bit annoying if you had daughters (I haven't). But how exactly would you ban it? What would that law look like exactly?
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Landis wrote: »

Same happens on Twitter and other social sites, to an embarrassing level, hopefully the cave men will, albeit slowly, be driven away.

The Margaret Thatcher argument is the equivalent of Godwin's Law in these type of discussions.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Don't know.

Personally I feel that patriarchal structures still viciously protrude out of the fabric of our modern society.
    nice phrase. you should put that in your thesis
    Much more work needs to be done, we need a 50/50 gender split in parliament in order to represent society more equally,
    Interesting concept. On what basis do you say that?

What work have you done in order that you determine our society can only be effectively represented by a parliament that is gender reflective.

of all the things i look for in an MP their gender is the last thing that is of interest to me. much more important to me is that they share my values, ideology and view of the world. it seems very un-feminist to say that women can not represent a male electorate which would appear to be a consequence of saying male MPs can't represent a female electorate.

honestly the nature of someone's genitals is not that important in determining their ability to to a job.
    in order to achieve this aim parties need to continue with all gender shortlists which have been so successful in getting women into parliament.
    I know an MP from an all female shortlist. she contends that she would have been an MP anyway. but the fact that she was originally selected from an all female list is something constantly used to undermine her. because everyone, including me thinks that there was someone else better suited to the job.

I think we should select the best person for the job. period. and that all discrimination on the ground of gender, sexuality, race is wrong and must be searched out and destroyed.
    [/QUOTE]
    Furthermore we need the government to ban page 3, the sexual objectification in page 3 breeds rape culture[/QUOTE]
    Do we have a rape culture? I thought our society was one of the least rapey in the world?
    and only serves the white male establishment. White males need to realize that they are not entitled to a daily dose of objectifying woman with their breakfast.
    This is just overt racism
    Also what are we teaching children if we just allow them to see females breasts from such a young age? It makes women look like sexual objects and makes rape more acceptable in the eyes of young men.
    Well like i say i don't think rape is considered acceptable in our society. But i would imagine what we are teaching children is boobs aren't that special and don't lose your shit over them.[/QUOTE]

Overall I think there needs to be much stricter government control in order to further the march towards gender equality, I may be a white male myself, but I am aware of my privilege, are you aware of yours?[/QUOTE]
    Oh i'm aware of yours.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mentioned page 3 and how it sexulised women but what about

Music videos and lyrics
    adverts
    tv and films
    games
    Lads mags
    Even some toys
    Not even to mention things on the net
    Video games are an interesting, if worrying one. I did view an interesting thesis of a recent development in video games where game developers were introducing the idea that a woman should 'reward' the player for saving them, for example, with sex. It's the same illogical ideology that can be found with the feminists natural enemy, the 'Nice Guy™'. There is still an element of misogyny and sexualization of women in video games and still an idea from some quarters that only men (should) play video games, an absurd and offensive suggestion.

Its also seen in the technology sector, where the free and open source software (FOSS) sector are trying to encourage more women to use FOSS and code, particularly as men far outnumber men in FOSS, far more so than for properitary software made by Microsoft and Apple. One forum for a Linux distribution I use had a woman join and the number of responses from men either shocked at seeing a woman as if women never existed before or asking her out because you'd think these men had never had a girlfriend before or despising her for being a woman was sickening.
  • rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why the obsession about 50/50 splits? I wouldn't care if parliament comprised 90% of one gender or the other so long as they were the best person for the gig. And where does that logic end? A cap on privately educated MPs? Only 15% of them to have come from higher income backgrounds to reflect reality? What about religious and non religious proportions? Skin colour? Disability?
    Furthermore we need the government to ban page 3, the sexual objectification in page 3 breeds rape culture and only serves the white male establishment.
    White males need to realize that they are not entitled to a daily dose of objectifying woman with their breakfast. Also what are we teaching children if we just allow them to see females breasts from such a young age? It makes women look like sexual objects and makes rape more acceptable in the eyes of young men.

Utter cods.
    Overall I think there needs to be much stricter government control in order to further the march towards gender equality.

You don't want to be called Loretta and have babies by any chance do you? :)
    Forum Member
    Video games are an interesting, if worrying one. I did view an interesting thesis of a recent development in video games where game developers were introducing the idea that a woman should 'reward' the player for saving them, for example, with sex. It's the same illogical ideology that can be found with the feminists natural enemy, the 'Nice Guy™'. There is still an element of misogyny and sexualization of women in video games and still an idea from some quarters that only men (should) play video games, an absurd and offensive suggestion.
    d before or despising her for being a woman was sickening.

has anyone ever head of the Dead or Alive series fighting games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_(series)

although this entry was controversial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_or_Alive_Xtreme_Beach_Volleyball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM6lxmFGvB8&lc=SKwEMl0b5vwj_ioQxZ2Zahry3fy1sxWmOFsSBhFlUug

i havent played any of them

Is 'Dead or Alive' sexist? Is it wrong to give a female character sex appeal?

http://www.examiner.com/article/is-dead-or-alive-sexist-is-it-wrong-to-give-a-female-character-sex-appeal
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Then you need to go to Specsavers. OP is male.
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Then you need to go to Specsavers. OP is male.

From that would I be correct in assuming you believe men can not be feminists ?

What is a feminist?
    A person, male or female advocating the rights of women in relation to men.