Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Digital Camera Batteries - Self Discharge

Old 13-11-2013, 21:13
heiker
Forum Member

I've owned three makes of digital camera...Sony, Pentax and Canon. With all three, the lithium rechargable batteries discharge themselves in fairly quick time when not being used. Anyone else affected?

Wiki states that: "Typically, among rechargeable batteries, lithium batteries suffer the least amount of self-discharge"

I've never have this problem with the rechargeable batteries in the MP3 Players or Portable Radios.
heiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 13-11-2013, 22:56
diablo
Forum Member

I've had a couple of cameras in the past which did this.

Though my previous camera, a Kodak, kept the charge pretty well. My Sony HX9V was left in a drawer for months but still had a fair bit of charge left when I needed it recently.

On the ones which went flat I had to insert a bit of paper or polythene to keep the batteries from touching the connectors inside. I do this with the emergency camera I keep in the car.
diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2013, 23:27
xp95
Inactive Member

It has always happened with my Samsung digital camera ever since I got it back in 2006!
xp95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 02:54
d'@ve
Forum Member

My 2 year old Pentax K-5 (original Li battery) still holds its charge for ever, after 2 years now. Never ceases to amaze me.

I bought a spare Inov8 battery to use as backup and rotated them. The Inov8 was useless, wouldn't hold its charge for long and was completely knackered within a year. Never again!
d'@ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 08:33
heiker
Forum Member

I guess it might be sensible to remove the battery from the camera when not in use.
heiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 16:16
nvingo
Forum Member

I've a (Traveler) pocket HD camcorder and a (Maplin) full HD hand camcorder. They take the same model of battery, of which I have four.
The Traveler maintains the battery charge level for many months in standby.
The Maplin discharges the battery in just over a week and always needs the time/date resetting if I don't change the battery before then.
nvingo is offline   Reply With Quote