Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What to watch after Breaking Bad?

Old 14-11-2013, 12:10
Xela M
Forum Member

Up until recently I have been slightly obsessed with "Breaking Bad" and now that I have watched it all I'm looking for another show. I have tried to start on the "Wire", but neither the acting nor the writing compares to the phenomenon that was "Breaking Bad". Can anyone recommend any shows of similar quality?
Xela M is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 14-11-2013, 12:37
flagpole
Forum Member

the wire is pretty much universally acknowledged as one of the best written and acted shows that has ever been.

and if you don't think the wire was well written or acted there seems to be little hope for you. i could accept that you didn't enjoy it. it's not everyone's cup of tea but to criticise the acting and the writing is absurd.

however take a look at the sopranos, west wing, the shield, buffy, southland
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 12:56
Jenzen
Forum Member

Try Justified
Jenzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 13:27
Xela M
Forum Member

the wire is pretty much universally acknowledged as one of the best written and acted shows that has ever been.

and if you don't think the wire was well written or acted there seems to be little hope for you. i could accept that you didn't enjoy it. it's not everyone's cup of tea but to criticise the acting and the writing is absurd.

however take a look at the sopranos, west wing, the shield, buffy, southland
To be fair, I have only seen the first episode. It was OK, but there's too much "lingo" and it didn't look like my cup of tea.
Old 14-11-2013, 13:28
flagpole
Forum Member

To be fair, I have only seen the first episode. It was OK, but there's too much "lingo" and it didn't look like my cup of tea.
perhaps you should watch a couple more.
Old 14-11-2013, 13:28
dbramley
Forum Member

I'm with you - the wire is massively over-rated by critics and people like flagpole! I hated it, but loved breaking bad.

I do agree that the Sopranos, southland, the shield are all very good though I don't think they're all on Netflix.

Walking Dead, Dexter, six feet under, 24 all worth watching if you've not already seen them.
dbramley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 13:35
kylesmith
Forum Member

Homeland, Southland, Prison Break, Hostages, The Walking Dead.
kylesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 13:49
mred2000
Forum Member

Not that it effects the writing or overall story but some of the directors who worked on Breaking Bad have had stints on, or are currently filming on, Game of Thrones... Also, the editor from BB (the one who did the official podcasts) is now working on Walking Dead... So you might want to check them out (they're good, anyway)
mred2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 14:43
Weetibix
Forum Member

I started watching The Sopranos after Breaking Bad and have thoroughly enjoyed it....great story and some great characters.
Breaking Bad is still my number one favourite though.

Homeland is also excellent
Weetibix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 14:45
Xela M
Forum Member

I've seen (and liked) The Sopranos, but I haven't watched any of the other shows mentioned in this thread.

Someone I know recommended House of Cards. Has anyone seen it?
Old 14-11-2013, 14:47
DarthFader
Forum Member

For me and I stress this is all just IMHO, THe Wire is the modern day emperor's new clothes. I watched the whole of season one and couldn't stand it.

Like you I love Breaking Bad (just finished it myself). Have you tried Oz?

PJ
DarthFader is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 14:50
mred2000
Forum Member

Someone I know recommended House of Cards. Has anyone seen it?
Yup. Watched it all and, despite a couple of low points, overall loved it. Spacey and Wright are excellent but most folk in it give very good performances.
mred2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 15:04
Dannielle_Howel
Forum Member

Weeds (Although it has more of a comedy aspect) is great, I actually prefer it too BB - I won't go into why because last time I did on here I was ridiculed.

Other really great shows include: Orange is the new black, American Horror Story (Also think is better than BB) Pretty Little Liars (Yes, really... It's my favorite show, I wish more people would give it a chance) The Walking Dead, Homeland, The Sopranos, Nurse Jackie or if you want something a bit sweeter and something that will pull on your heart strings I fully recommend The Big C.

Get a Netflix account if you haven't already, there's some really great shows on there
Dannielle_Howel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 15:38
postit
Forum Member

Weeds (Although it has more of a comedy aspect) is great, I actually prefer it too BB - I won't go into why because last time I did on here I was ridiculed.

Other really great shows include: Orange is the new black, American Horror Story (Also think is better than BB) Pretty Little Liars (Yes, really... It's my favorite show, I wish more people would give it a chance) The Walking Dead, Homeland, The Sopranos, Nurse Jackie or if you want something a bit sweeter and something that will pull on your heart strings I fully recommend The Big C.

Get a Netflix account if you haven't already, there's some really great shows on there
I loved Weeds too
postit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 15:47
flagpole
Forum Member

I'm with you - the wire is massively over-rated by critics and people like flagpole! I hated it, but loved breaking bad.

I do agree that the Sopranos, southland, the shield are all very good though I don't think they're all on Netflix.

Walking Dead, Dexter, six feet under, 24 all worth watching if you've not already seen them.
If you look a little closer you will see that not only did i not over rate The Wire, I did not rate it at all.
Old 14-11-2013, 19:54
Brummiekev
Forum Member

The Blacklist is brilliant, best US show since Breaking Bad for me. Just love the acting especially from James Spader!!
Brummiekev is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 20:09
satellite
Forum Member

Up until recently I have been slightly obsessed with "Breaking Bad" and now that I have watched it all I'm looking for another show. I have tried to start on the "Wire", but neither the acting nor the writing compares to the phenomenon that was "Breaking Bad". Can anyone recommend any shows of similar quality?
Funnily enough, I was only asking the same thing. I might give The Wire a go.

Dexter is great as well, S1 and 4 were the best, but it's definitely worth a punt, even though the final series was a disappointment.
satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 20:51
flagpole
Forum Member

The Blacklist is brilliant, best US show since Breaking Bad for me. Just love the acting especially from James Spader!!
He plays the same character as in the office.
Old 14-11-2013, 22:25
GOGO2
Forum Member

As much as I loved The Wire I don't think it's something you can really compare to Breaking Bad, they're two completely different shows and both brilliant in their own right. It took me some time to warm towards The Wire tbh, it wasn't until about Season 3 that I thought "wow this is quite special", so stick with it OP!

Other shows I'd recommend are...

Six Feet Under
Orange Is The New Black
Dexter (but don't bother after Season 5)
The Sopranos
The West Wing
Nurse Jackie
House Of Cards

I need something new to watch too, I'm really trying to like Homelands at the moment but I'm just not feeling it. I miss Walt and Jessie
GOGO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2013, 22:34
flagpole
Forum Member

As much as I loved The Wire I don't think it's something you can really compare to Breaking Bad, they're two completely different shows and both brilliant in their own right. It took me some time to warm towards The Wire tbh, it wasn't until about Season 3 that I thought "wow this is quite special", so stick with it OP!

Other shows I'd recommend are...

Six Feet Under
Orange Is The New Black
Dexter (but don't bother after Season 5)
The Sopranos
The West Wing
Nurse Jackie
House Of Cards

I need something new to watch too, I'm really trying to like Homelands at the moment but I'm just not feeling it. I miss Walt and Jessie
The shield
Old 15-11-2013, 10:44
charger21
Forum Member

I recommend Sons Of Anarchy.

As for the wire I watched 3 or 4 episodes in a row but havent felt the urge to watch it again. It was rather boring
charger21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 10:59
Dansky+HD
Forum Member

I started watching The Sopranos after Breaking Bad and have thoroughly enjoyed it....great story and some great characters.
Breaking Bad is still my number one favourite though.

Homeland series 1 & 2 we're excellent but now it's turned into a daytime soap opera type dross.

Extremely disappointed with its direction.

They need yo work hard to make it the epic watch of the 1st 2 seasons. They won't manage it the season but they have got a season 4.
But if Brody is killed off viewers will be lost in their droves.
Dansky+HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:04
StargateNerd_24
Forum Member

Couldn't agree more I just finished season 3 and it has really come into its own. I still don't think it's the best show ever. The writing and acting is superb and it seems really true to life.

Roll on season 4
StargateNerd_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:18
Tom2023
Forum Member

I think it's been piss-poor this season. The show was fairly okay the first season but now it is just being milked. It's all about the Benjamins now.

If you liked Breaking Bad the first time around I would recommend watching it again from the beginning, you find plenty of little things you missed.
Tom2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:28
Jenzen
Forum Member

Surprised no one else has mentioned Justified. Such an underrated show

Also I will second Sons of Anarchy, it's fanatastic.
Jenzen is offline   Reply With Quote