Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Disposing of TomTom to relative. Can I deregister it?

Old 15-11-2013, 12:08
jsmith99
Forum Member

I've just bought a new Satnav, a Garmin, after having a TomTom for four years. Currently, I'm getting emails about updates, plus a weekly reminder that my Live Service has expired.

I'm planning to give the TT to a poor relation. Can I de-register it, thus allowing my relation to register it? They may choose not to register it, but at least I'd stop the emails from TT.
jsmith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 15-11-2013, 12:45
chrisjr
Forum Member

You can try deleting your account. Instructions here

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/an...vacy-policy%3F

well sort of.

You will soon discover, as I just have, that there is no Category of "My Account" available on the send e-mail page. And none of the categories you can select are remotely appropriate. Anyway I've just sent a "Delete my account" message to them so see what happens.

Though past experience of TomTom's so called support service doesn't fill me with much hope.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 14:44
chrisjr
Forum Member

Just had a reply from TomTom. Despite doing what they said on the webpage linked to above they wanted to know what I meant! So I replied, "Delete My Account" like what it says on your own website (or words to that effect ). Oh well, maybe now the account will be deleted.
Old 16-11-2013, 00:23
jsmith99
Forum Member

Thanks chrisjr. I've just been through the process you detailed in post 2.

As you say, no "category" fits, and it's a required field. I'll wait for their reply now. I can also put the 2GB of the first backup onto a memory card, and delete it.
Old 16-11-2013, 09:47
jsmith99
Forum Member

And I've received a standard response from TT, saying someone will be in touch within a couple of days.
Old 16-11-2013, 14:22
chrisjr
Forum Member

Just out of idle curiosity tried logging in to TomTom. Account still active. No response to the reply I sent yesterday so who knows what will happen.
Old 18-11-2013, 11:00
jsmith99
Forum Member

I've just received an email from TT. I have to agree to five conditions, and then my account disappears. Though it's possible it could be revived if I (or someone) registers the device with a different email address - it's not clear whether it's the device, or just the account, which can't be reactivated. For security reasons.

...........before we can remove you account, please agree to the following conditions:-

- We will deactivate your account as long you have no pending transactions such as orders or repairs etc
- Please be aware that you will lose any credentials (PLUS services, HOME login, etc...) linked to your account.
- Out of security measures, TomTom will not reactivate disabled accounts.
- It is not possible to transfer PLUS Services, Maps etc from one account to another.
- Once the account has been removed, and you wish to continue to use TomTom products, you will need to re-register your details via the website with a valid e-mail address.

Please reply back to this e-mail, stating that you agree to these conditions. Once you have replied to us, this e-mail will be the last communication to you from this account.
Old 18-11-2013, 11:04
chrisjr
Forum Member

I've just received an email from TT. I have to agree to five conditions, and then my account disappears. Though it's possible it could be revived if I (or someone) registers the device with a different email address - it's not clear whether it's the device, or just the account, which can't be reactivated. For security reasons.
At least you got that far!

I was wondering why they hadn't replied to my response the their initial query. Had a bounce back message saying the e-mail couldn't be delivered!

Not sure I can be bothered to send it again to be honest.
Old 19-11-2013, 10:07
jsmith99
Forum Member

I had another email last night; my account is now closed, but the device can be re-registered with a different email address.

I used the link you posted earlier, then, when I received an email from TT, I just used "Reply". So I don't see why yours should bounce back.