Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Help with windows 8.1

Old 18-11-2013, 07:23
satman17
Forum Member

I have just downloaded windows 8.1 off the windows web site, I want to put the programme on disk after I have installed the programme on the laptop I'm actually using, how can I do this?
satman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-11-2013, 09:40
psionic
Forum Member

Are you saying you want to copy Windows 8.1 to avoid downloading it again?

Sadly, there is no official way of doing it. MS expect you to download it each time. There are 8.1 ISOs available but they don't accept the same serial numbers as 8.0. A few workarounds exist but ultimately are a bit of a hassle. Easier to download again IMHO.
psionic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 11:05
Biggles1000
Forum Member

If you've still got the "Install Windows" link on your desktop, clicking on this will give you various options, including "Install by creating media". This will give the options to create an .iso file or USB flash drive. You can run this link and create both types, if needed.
Biggles1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 17:18
soup_dragon
Forum Member

I've used Macrium Reflect, free version, to back up the entire hard drive ( inc O/S ) to a single image file. If things go pear shaped you just boot from a cd that you create from within the software then point the software to the location of your back up. Can be on an external drive or another partition of the same hard drive. 20 mins or so later your system is restored to the time when you created your back up.
It works well and has saved me a lot of work over the years

Cheers Tom
soup_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote