Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Who are you listening to RIGHT THIS SECOND?! (Part 23)

Old 22-03-2014, 19:51
jules1000
Forum Member

Having just heard them singing on the National Lottery results I just wondered how they have stayed around this long??

I personally thought they were dreadful and wondered if they are considered a poor mans (figure of speech)Spice Girls.??

Thanks musical dsers.
jules1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-03-2014, 20:13
Red22
Forum Member

They're trying too hard
Red22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 20:29
cris182
Forum Member

They seem to do really cheesy music videos. Not keen on the music either. But they are exactly what the target audience loves
cris182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 20:46
LandslideBrad
Forum Member

Nope.

The only similarities for me is that they're both British girlgroups with individual personalities.

I could never get in to the Spice Girls because the vocals weren't strong enough for me but Little Mix constantly slay on vocals, stage presence and dancing. All though SG's songs were such anthems. I feel like SG made straight forward iconic pop music whereas LM make kind of make experimental Pop with an R&B influence too.
LandslideBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 20:58
evie71
Inactive Member

I watched them on sport relief last night and thought they looked a right mess. Vocals were off but was more surprised at how unattractive they all are. One of them (Jessie ?) looked like a giant blob wearing an ill fitting wig prancing about.Totally cringy, god knows how they have lasted this long.
evie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 21:02
Shadow2009
Forum Member

'Move' was an absolute TUNE. Nice, interesting pop song with catchy hooks and they always nail it live.

However their other material is just so cheesy and try hard. They seem like nice girls and Perrie/Jade are great singers but the material is letting them down.
Shadow2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 21:11
Aura101
Forum Member

what little mix are lacking, is a hit.

'wings' did the job i guess, but one song wont keep them in a career.

i love 'move', but i wouldnt say it has set the world alight.

i got there album Salute, and its just watered down bog standard bland pop music with a failed attempt at destinys child 2000 r&b. disappointed to say the least.

though there certainly is hope for them yet....
Aura101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 21:38
Torch81
Forum Member

They certainly aren't as bad as the Spice Girls in that they don't seem so delusional in respect of their 'alleged' importance to the world of music. They're a passing fad, flavour of the month type thing, I'd imagine they'll (hopefully) descend into obscurity sooner rather than later.
Torch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 21:54
mgvsmith
Forum Member

They're trying too hard
I actually agree with that. I think they are trying a bit too hard.
LM are better vocally than the Spice Girls but they also co write a lot of the of their own songs. They seem to be into contemporary R n'B music which might limit rather than widen their appeal with a UK audience. However, it may help LM gaining a US audience.

I think they are just one killer single from a major breakthrough.
I also think that Jesy, Perrie, Leigh Anne or Jade are just as attractive as any member of the Spice Girls with the possible exception of my fav, Mel B.
mgvsmith is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2014, 21:57
Tom_Mullen
Forum Member

Having just heard them singing on the National Lottery results I just wondered how they have stayed around this long??

I personally thought they were dreadful and wondered if they are considered a poor mans (figure of speech)Spice Girls.??

Thanks musical dsers.
Pretty much yes, I've never rated them at all to be honest and I'm surprised they haven't faded away like most x factor winners seem to.
Tom_Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 02:03
DreC
Forum Member

Thanks musical dsers.
They're nothing like the spice girls, they're around because people like their music, vocals and personality. Could the spice girls sing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcDgfJ9d4pI
DreC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 02:03
DreC
Forum Member

I watched them on sport relief last night and thought they looked a right mess. Vocals were off but was more surprised at how unattractive they all are. One of them (Jessie ?) looked like a giant blob wearing an ill fitting wig prancing about.Totally cringy, god knows how they have lasted this long.
You're swallow.
Old 23-03-2014, 02:04
DreC
Forum Member

They're trying too hard
Explain yourself?
Old 23-03-2014, 02:16
Fashion
Forum Member

Don't understand the hype surrounding them, when there are girl-groups like The Saturdays that have more presence and buzz. If it wasn't for Cowell recommending Little Mix to his media friends, they would've drifted off the radar. They look the part, but there's something very calculated about how everyone's meant to gush over how wonderful they are.
Fashion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 02:21
JigglyBall
Forum Member

They have better voices and are better dancers. Their music is so-so. I find them to be quite bland, but then again as a 26-year-old female I'm no longer in their target market.

Most girl groups these days seem to be based on the same formula as the Spice Girls. There is nothing special or distinctive about Little Mix, Girls Aloud, The Saturdays etc.
JigglyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 02:59
Letsjustgo27
Forum Member

Don't understand the hype surrounding them, when there are girl-groups like The Saturdays that have more presence and buzz. If it wasn't for Cowell recommending Little Mix to his media friends, they would've drifted off the radar. They look the part, but there's something very calculated about how everyone's meant to gush over how wonderful they are.
Lol! The Saturdays appeal is what they're legs? I like them but they are pretty bland overall. They too are very fortunate to still be around and it only helps they are on a smaller version of polydor.

Though I think jiggyball said it best. But what can a pop girl group do now that the spices havnt already done?
Letsjustgo27 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 03:12
Letsjustgo27
Forum Member

You sound pretty shallow tbh.
Letsjustgo27 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 09:56
little-monster
Forum Member

Neither are alike
Especially as Little Mix's music is becoming more urban oriented
Little mix actually have 4 talented members. Spice girls only had Mel c when it came to talent.
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 11:47
homer2012
Forum Member

Littlemix very overrated and will be gone soon enough
homer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 13:50
Dumdedumdum
Forum Member

Little Mix have great voices and harmonies and the potential to be a British Destiny's Child - that's clearly what they are going for, not the Spice Girls. They don't have a Beyonce but they also don't have a member who can't sing. I don't like the ballads they've released as singles as they are too teenage empowerment for me but I got bored and youtubed the album last month and really enjoyed it. Some good bops on it. At least the US tour they've just done means that interviewers won't just ask them about their love lives, even if their PR is hyping their success too much. Perrie's relationship with Zayn Malik has put off a lot of potential fans.

This song could be a big hit for them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72luAmNg1oQ
Which means their management team / record label probably won't release it.

That being said, I can't really see them being a huge global music act like DC or Spice Girls and I'm not sure why.
Dumdedumdum is offline   Reply With Quote
Mrfenty
Forum Member

Musically I would say The Saturdays and Girls Aloud are more similar to The Spice Girls as they all stick to straightforward pop (even though The Sats do venture into urban/r&b songs at times), whereas Little Mix are deffs an urban pop/r&b band.

However I think their fan bases are more similar to the Spice Girls. They have really been pushed toward the little kid sand Tween market, like the Spice Girls in the '90's.In comparison Girls Aloud and The Sats have shared the same type of fan base of an older audience of older teens, 20/30 somethings and the gay following which has been key for both.

I guess you could say LM are like a female version of JLS
Mrfenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Joe_Zel
Inactive Member

I don't know but they're infinitely more talented than the Spice Girls, I know that much.
Joe_Zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 13:57
siriusrose
Forum Member

Little Mix have great voices and harmonies and the potential to be a British Destiny's Child - that's clearly what they are going for, not the Spice Girls. They don't have a Beyonce but they also don't have a member who can't sing. I don't like the ballads they've released as singles as they are too teenage empowerment for me but I got bored and youtubed the album last month and really enjoyed it. Some good bops on it. At least the US tour they've just done means that interviewers won't just ask them about their love lives, even if their PR is hyping their success too much. Perrie's relationship with Zayn Malik has put off a lot of potential fans.

This song could be a big hit for them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72luAmNg1oQ
Which means their management team / record label probably won't release it.

That being said, I can't really see them being a huge global music act like DC or Spice Girls and I'm not sure why.

They have strongly hinted at this being the next (and probably final) single from the album, so hopefully it will do well for them, it's a great song although the lyrics aren't about to attract a new audience.

I personally prefer Little Mix to The Spice Girls, they have the potential to be massive and I really love the 'Salute' album. It's the lyrics of their ballads that throws me off. More songs like 'Move' and 'Madhouse' and less 'Change Your Life' / 'Little Me' type songs and I'm happy.
siriusrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 14:11
KnowAll27
Forum Member

I would have said Little Mix were closer to being an up-to-date version of All Saints rather than Spice Girls to be honest.

I can't actually think of modern Spice Girls equivalent. To me the 'predecessors' for The Saturdays are Girls Aloud, but I wouldn't have said Girls Aloud were a modern Spice Girls either.
KnowAll27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 15:07
Mark-Anthony
Forum Member

Little Mix should have released These Four Walls instead of Little Me. The Salute album is incredible and much more grown up than LittleMe wwould seem.

However I think its their management pushing them towards the tween market as the girls prefer their songs such as DNA Move and HowYa Doin as oopposed to Change Your Life and Little Me....little bit off topic oops

Last edited by Mark-Anthony : 23-03-2014 at 15:08. Reason: point was off topic
Mark-Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote