What's usually found in a good sewing kit?

TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
Forum Member
✭✭
A good friend's interested in learning to sew, so I'm getting her a sewing-for-beginners book and a sewing kit for her birthday (27 Dec).

I found sites that sell sewing kits, but all are basic. I thought I should put one together myself. Unfortunately, I don't sew and have no idea where to start. Embarrassing.

What's usually found in a sewing kit that every sewer would hope to have?

Budget: up to £100. Would it be a good idea to chuck in a mini sewing machine, too?

Thanks.

Comments

• ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd think you could make a far better one than the basics you can buy!

I'd put in:

needles - good ones, not cheapy ones that can rust and bend. A variety of sizes.
    pins - the kind with coloured plastic heads that are highly visible on fabric.
    threads - good quality cotton polyester ones in a variety of colours - black, white, red, blue etc
    a tape measure - not the plastic kind as they can stretch, plastic coated fabric is better.
    tiny scissors for cutting thread
    bigger fabric scissors (they have a special cutting edge)
    poppers
    buttons
    empty bobbin reels if using a sewing machine

Then, depending on what she wants to sew, you could get some fabric, or some patterns? If she wants to try small crafty things, you could get some fat quarters of pretty fabrics (squares of quarter metre, used by quilters and crafters), if she's into clothes, maybe some patterns?

Re a sewing machine, I think the mini ones are a bit of a waste of time to be honest. If she wants to sew properly she'd soon get frustrated with it and want a better one.

I'll go and get my sewing box (I use a big foldout toolbox, the diy kind) and see what else I have in there...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't bother with a mini sewing machine when you can get something like the machine on the link within your budget...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-77188227-D8C0E3E6/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=8447&ar=6
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    Then, depending on what she wants to sew, you could get some fabric, or some patterns? If she wants to try small crafty things, you could get some fat quarters of pretty fabrics (squares of quarter metre, used by quilters and crafters), if she's into clothes, maybe some patterns?

Good question. She's mentioned wanting to make soft toys for her daughter, who's almost four, and maybe a patchwork quilt for herself.

I wonder if it'd be a good idea to include a voucher? So that she could buy fabric or pattern herself?
    I'll go and get my sewing box (I use a big foldout toolbox, the diy kind) and see what else I have in there...

Thank you so much. And for that list. Any brand worth looking out for?
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with a mini sewing machine when you can get something like the machine on the link within your budget...

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/SID-77188227-D8C0E3E6/www_lidl_uk/hs.xsl/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=8447&ar=6

Nice one! I can get her that. Thank you for the pointer.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just had a look at my kit; I've got all the stuff above, plus:

a pencil
    a ruler
    a rubber
    a big roll of greaseproof paper for tracing my own patterns
    a white fabric marker pen (it's a chalky thing, it rubs out) - this is a bit of a waste of space to be honest.
    a roller cutter for quilting (it cuts through lots of fabric in straight lines in one go)
    ribbons
    lace edging
    sequin trims
    various widths of elastic
    bias binding
    iron-on fusible web interfacing
    sew-in web interfacing
    thimbles
    embroidery threads
    pom poms (no, I don't know why either!)

I suspect that most of these won't be essential!

As for brands, I can't say there are many that stands out to me. My scissors are by Fiskars, and they're very good.

I'd say, go in to John Lewis, or Hobbycraft (or both) and have a good scout around. They're likely to have some sewing project kits (eg sew a soft toy, sew a handbag, sew a patchwork whatever) that have instructions and patterns and fabric in them, so that she can have a go at a project without having to plan it all from scratch.

Edit: Oh! I also have a seam unripper. I'd say this was highly essential, I use it all the time.
  • Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    A magnet, for picking up pins.
    A needle threader, just in case.
    One of those things for unpicking stitches.
    A round 'frame' for embroidery.
    Pin cushion.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stitch ripper
    vanishing fabric marker (much better than fabric pencils imo)
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    An seam ripper is essential :blush:

Pinking shears
    Good fabric scissors

Don't bother with the mini sewing machine, they aren't too good.

I have all the things the others have mentioned so won't add all that, but will say what a thoughtful present :)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tailors chalk and plenty of scrap stuff to get practicing on

but the other tings i'd say are some space to work and good lighting as you don't need much, whatever they managed with in 1900 will probably do perfectly well today
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Things I can think of :

Large dressmaking scissors
    Small sharp scissors for thread cutting
    Seam ripper
    Top quality needles in all eye and body sizes, including needles for using on leather and heavy duty items
    Needle threader
    Elastic cord
    Thimble
    Pins and pin cushion
    Selection of buttons, poppers and hooks/eyes
    Threads - black, white and any colours of your choice, good quality
    Tape measure
    Safety pins
    Tailor's chalk
    Darning ball (old fashioned but useful for minor repairs
    Wundaweb
    Bias binding
    Ribbons, tapes, bows, lace, trimmings
    Clear thread
    Embroidery threads
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick unpick, thimble, small scissors, dressmaker's pins and a good selection of needles and thread.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also a box to keep it all in - something like this - would be invaluable.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, brilliant. I came here to copy the list, so I was surprised and pleased to find more lists and suggestions. Thank you all. Much appreciated.