Options

Agents of SHIELD continuation on Channel 4?

CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So much for the commitment in showing it a few days after it's aired in the US, they don't seem to be showing it this week or next.

Comments

• Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the looks of it, C4 have dropped it and it has been moved to a Sunday 10pm slot on E4 starting the 12th, so almost two weeks behind the US. Must have got poor ratings on C4.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    On the discussion thread for the show in the SciFi/Cult forum there is no mention of it moving to E4, just that it is being delayed for 6 weeks and will start to air in the middle of February. It has been suggested they're doing this partly as there are so many breaks in the scheduling in the US that they have decided to wait a few weeks so that they can air it uninterrupted over here, so as not to potentially lose some viewers, I'm not sure of the validity of this, it's just what I have seen suggested.

Also, someone in a Facebook group I am in say they tweeted C4 to ask when the air date was going to be and got a reply saying they weren't sure of an exact date yet but that information would be released soon, and that doesn't sound like what they would say if they were no longer going to air it.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    On the discussion thread for the show in the SciFi/Cult forum there is no mention of it moving to E4, just that it is being delayed for 6 weeks and will start to air in the middle of February. It has been suggested they're doing this partly as there are so many breaks in the scheduling in the US that they have decided to wait a few weeks so that they can air it uninterrupted over here, so as not to potentially lose some viewers, I'm not sure of the validity of this, it's just what I have seen suggested.

Also, someone in a Facebook group I am in say they tweeted C4 to ask when the air date was going to be and got a reply saying they weren't sure of an exact date yet but that information would be released soon, and that doesn't sound like what they would say if they were no longer going to air it.

According to Channel 4s own website it is scheduled 10pm Sunday 12th on E4, and it is not a reapeat it is episode 11 a magical place which is the episode that aired in the US tonight.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    It has been suggested they're doing this partly as there are so many breaks in the scheduling in the US that they have decided to wait a few weeks so that they can air it uninterrupted over here, so as not to potentially lose some viewers, I'm not sure of the validity of this, it's just what I have seen suggested.

You would be correct.
    The US air dates on network TV are very erratic to say the least. They usually go 3 weeks on, one/two off.
    Doing that here isn't something we're accustomed to and its frankly irritating, so delaying it so it can be screened in an uninterrupted block is common place.
    Its what Sky does with the likes of Criminal Minds that begins next week (I believe) whereas it began airing stateside on CBS in September yet have only broadcast 11 episodes with 11 more to go.
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    According to Channel 4s own website it is scheduled 10pm Sunday 12th on E4, and it is not a reapeat it is episode 11 a magical place which is the episode that aired in the US tonight.

That doesn't agree with the information on this link from the C4/E4 site listings, they list nothing Shield related on at 10pm, but do list a re-showing of the first episode at 4pm on E4

http://www.channel4.com/tv-listings/daily/2014/01/12#E4_16:00
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I learned years ago not to give American shows the time of day via UK broadcasters as they will always find a way to ruin it or let down the fans.

This is why piracy continues to thrive. The broadcasters just NEVER learn and have zero respect for their audiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The broadcasters just NEVER learn and have zero respect for their audiences.

Do explain...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Do explain...

I'm sure you know, in fact, what I mean. Feel free to disagree but it's how I see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you know, in fact, what I mean. Feel free to disagree but it's how I see it.

No, i don't know what you mean. Thats why i asked you to explain the comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, i don't know what you mean. Thats why i asked you to explain the comment.

You know perfectly well, you are just (for some reason) trolling me. So I'm ceasing this conversation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You know perfectly well, you are just (for some reason) trolling me. So I'm ceasing this conversation.

!!!!!
    Im not trolling. Im asking you to explain your comment and by the fact you haven't but instead just posted up random sentences would suggest im not the one trolling here.

And when someone tells you they haven't a clue what you're talking about, it means exactly that.
    It doesn't mean call someone a troll!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!!!!
    Im not trolling. Im asking you to explain your comment and by the fact you haven't but instead just posted up random sentences would suggest im not the one trolling here.

And when someone tells you they haven't a clue what you're talking about, it means exactly that.
    It doesn't mean call someone a troll!

I'm sorry, I've been trolled a bit on this forum and overreact sometimes. Please accept my apology. :blush:

What I mean by having no respect for the viewer includes importing programmes and then buggering around by falling behind from the US air dates, not knowing when they will show remaining episodes if at all, often ceasing to air a show mid-series when it has a fanbase...all things like that. Downloading is still rife because of these issues yet broadcasters have the nerve to complain about piracy. Maybe if they treated their audiences more respectfully, piracy wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry, I've been trolled a bit on this forum and overreact sometimes. Please accept my apology. :blush:

What I mean by having no respect for the viewer includes importing programmes and then buggering around by falling behind from the US air dates, not knowing when they will show remaining episodes if at all, often ceasing to air a show mid-series when it has a fanbase...all things like that. Downloading is still rife because of these issues yet broadcasters have the nerve to complain about piracy. Maybe if they treated their audiences more respectfully, piracy wouldn't happen.

Well im not a 3 year old so i don't troll people, im a grown man who works in the broadcasting industry.
    Im sorry you've been trolled on here, but not all DS members are trolls and most are good folks, so don't tar us all with the same brush.

Its not as simple to keep within the US air dates or a day after if they are a network show like Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D is and the reason is because in the US, they don't show them back to back week in and out.
    They have weeks where a new episode isn't screened and the UK broadcaster cannot go ahead of the US broadcaster. So UK broadcasters hold the episodes back so they can be shown in one continuous block and i for one agree with that.

I don't want to have periods where its on and then off, id lose interest and it drives me and millions more insane.
    Sky & Channel 4, ITV and even the BBC & Channel 5 have learnt that and listened to their viewers and show them in one long block, because its what we're used to and what viewers want.
    Its not treating viewers/fan bases with contempt or like shit.
    Also, most UK broadcasters don't have air dates for anything more than 3 weeks ahead, so its not them being rude to you, its because they haven't planned that far ahead yet.
    Something like Game Of Thrones gets shown days after the US air date because HBO in the US show it in one continuous block, so Sky know they can show it 24 hours after HBO because there won't be a long break like they have with Criminal Minds for Sky Living.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the looks of it, C4 have dropped it and it has been moved to a Sunday 10pm slot on E4 starting the 12th, so almost two weeks behind the US. Must have got poor ratings on C4.

The E4 showings are repeats - starting with the Pilot on Sun the 12th at 4pm.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It`s funny to me that so-called "fans" of these US shows always go the illegal route rather than buying the DVDs of their fave shows in order to support them properly (helping to ensure their continued production) rather than thieving them. Ah, but then I forgot - We can`t possibly expect patience from people these days. Apparently they NEED to see this telly instantly, cannot possibly contemplate waiting (I`ve seen posts with moans about having to wait as little as 24 or 48 hours so there`s no pleasing some) and seem to regard it as their birthright to obtain people`s creative work for free.

There is more often than not a legal way to obtain most TV/film/music product but to hear the bleats of the downloaders you would think they were forced to steal it, so numerous are their pitiful justifications for doing so.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not that bothered. There is a UK pace thread for the show and i'm happy to wait a few weeks and have a run through to the end of the season instead of stoping and starting several times.

It's like the good old days :D
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,027
    Forum Member

But UK viewers are used to having a series run in consecutive weeks from start to finish. Like the poster said above, American scheduling is stupid with weeks off for no apparent reason at all. I much prefer the UK broadcasters of these shows away from the US system because it means I can watch the show from start to finish.

Sky Living attempted to follow the US with a season of Criminal Minds and it's so frustrating at the end of an episode to hear "Criminal Minds will be back in two weeks in line with the US schedules."
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is "New Girl" all over again. They trumpeted that as the "hot new US import" and it ultimately got relegated to E4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    don't these American shows always take a mid season break in the us elementary and the mentalist do maybe that is simply what ch4 is doing with shield.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should have tried 5USA and there recent ill treatment of Archer - they left the last episode gap of 2 weeks (show has already aired in US) but Channel 5 blamed viewing figures, shifted it from 5* to 5usa and to put it to at 2am in the morning (and no they were not being consistent with this import at all this season .... disappointed in Channel 5 on this one)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This is "New Girl" all over again. They trumpeted that as the "hot new US import" and it ultimately got relegated to E4.
    No it's not if you had read the thread.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    You should have tried 5USA and there recent ill treatment of Archer - they left the last episode gap of 2 weeks (show has already aired in US) but Channel 5 blamed viewing figures, shifted it from 5* to 5usa and to put it to at 2am in the morning (and no they were not being consistent with this import at all this season .... disappointed in Channel 5 on this one)

No surprise. This is the same channel that managed to throw away Breaking Bad!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    torpido wrote: »
    don't these American shows always take a mid season break in the us elementary and the mentalist do maybe that is simply what ch4 is doing with shield.
    Yes, SHIELD has taken the mid season break as it was shown the same week as the US for the first part of the season but when it returns the US will be taking one or two more weeks off during the run so C4 has decided to hold back a few weeks so it can run the rest of the season without a break.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well done channel 4 for giving us a proper run of episodes when it comes back

pirates(arrrr) will always have an excuse to justify why they are "forced" to download.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member

I'd also add -

Making cuts to the episodes so that it can be shown in an "appropriate" slot. for example a show that should have a 8-9pm slot getting cut so that it can be shown at 6pm.

Moving a show around the schedule so that its almost never on in the same timeslot. 7pm one week, 7:15 the next, 6:45 the week after... or different days.

Dumping a show in a post-midnight slot.