Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Are you shy about your music taste?

Old 25-11-2013, 01:46
Tekken_Guy
Forum Member

Lawson are one the most popular bands in the UK at the moment. Do you think that they can crack America? They have a few songs that would sound great on radio there, like "Brokenhearted" with B.o.B. What do you think?
Tekken_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-11-2013, 02:09
Micknsiv
Forum Member

Well seeing as they're pretty much one of the worst bands I've ever heard, I'd say not a chance in hell. I may be wrong, seeing as the Americans don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to music taste, but I highly doubt it. But if Mumford and Sons can do it then anyone can I guess.
Micknsiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 14:29
Jevito416
Forum Member

Well seeing as they're pretty much one of the worst bands I've ever heard, I'd say not a chance in hell. I may be wrong, seeing as the Americans don't know their arse from their elbow when it comes to music taste, but I highly doubt it. But if Mumford and Sons can do it then anyone can I guess.
That (the bold) was unkind. Anyways I absolutely think they can experience success if they can get radio to play their song. At the end of the day that is what's going to help them build a fanbase (ie. Maroon 5, OneRepublic & most recently Imagine Dragons) Andy Brown is such a great singer & song writer. He has potential to become the next Adam Levine in my humble opinion.
Jevito416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 14:37
Sex
Forum Member

If they promoted Brocken hearted over there I think it would have done well.
Sex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 15:48
fkinhell
Forum Member

No. They are crap.
fkinhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 16:14
musicjukebox123
Forum Member

No way they aren't really a big band in the UK when you scratch beneath the surface they chart high and free fall with fairly low sales overall, like what McFly were notorious for doing for a long while.

These bands need to get a proper fanbase in the UK first then expand in Europe before going for the top US dollar, it smacks of naivety/greed. There is no hype from fans in different continents behind them and their songs alone certainly aren't strong enough to get them noticed. Surely being a Worldwide success is better than average to flopping in ONE country.
musicjukebox123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 16:44
Makson
Forum Member

Maria Lawson? Is she back?!!
Makson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 16:59
Micknsiv
Forum Member

That (the bold) was unkind. Anyways I absolutely think they can experience success if they can get radio to play their song. At the end of the day that is what's going to help them build a fanbase (ie. Maroon 5, OneRepublic & most recently Imagine Dragons) Andy Brown is such a great singer & song writer. He has potential to become the next Adam Levine in my humble opinion.
I've seen Andy Brown on a few tv shows and he seems like a decent guy but to call him a great singer and songwriter may be pushing it just a tad. I put Lawson in the same category as the likes of Scouting for Girls and please don't get me started on that mob. If people like them though then who am I to judge!
Old 25-11-2013, 17:20
Jevito416
Forum Member

I've seen Andy Brown on a few tv shows and he seems like a decent guy but to call him a great singer and songwriter may be pushing it just a tad. I put Lawson in the same category as the likes of Scouting for Girls and please don't get me started on that mob. If people like them though then who am I to judge!
I got to see them live in Toronto & I was genuinely surprised at how good Andy sounded live. Well maybe you're right but "Standing in the Dark" is such a great song though lol.
Jevito416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 20:32
ashtray88
Forum Member

They do sound like an American band but unfortunately for them, one that was popular in the 90s and most likely singing on Dawson's Creek.
ashtray88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 21:01
umr3000
Forum Member

Lawson are a great band and definitely have what it takes to break the US market, I think album number 2 should be a worldwide release.
umr3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 22:12
Tekken_Guy
Forum Member

No way they aren't really a big band in the UK when you scratch beneath the surface they chart high and free fall with fairly low sales overall, like what McFly were notorious for doing for a long while.

These bands need to get a proper fanbase in the UK first then expand in Europe before going for the top US dollar, it smacks of naivety/greed. There is no hype from fans in different continents behind them and their songs alone certainly aren't strong enough to get them noticed. Surely being a Worldwide success is better than average to flopping in ONE country.
Lawson may not have the Boy Band-esque fanbase of 1D, but they have proven to be a popular act in the UK with five top 10 hits to their name. "Brokenhearted" is a catchy pop-rock song that I think will be a perfect fit to US pop radio. They should first focus on getting a hit single in the US rather than pushing themselves to a fanbase.
Old 25-11-2013, 23:12
Zeb Atlas
Forum Member

Learn to Love Again was brilliant and a bit of an anthem. I reckon they could do well as rock tinged boybands like One D and The Vamps are doing well whereas dancey ones such as JLS and Wanted are over.

They should try to crack Oz before US.
Zeb Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 23:13
twingle
Forum Member

Lawson may not have the Boy Band-esque fanbase of 1D, but they have proven to be a popular act in the UK with five top 10 hits to their name. "Brokenhearted" is a catchy pop-rock song that I think will be a perfect fit to US pop radio. They should first focus on getting a hit single in the US rather than pushing themselves to a fanbase.
But surely they need fans to build up momentum. If it wasn't for the fans 1D would never have got radio play
twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 13:23
Amazing
Forum Member

They struggle to sell albums in the UK never mind the US.
Amazing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 14:14
Hutchy258
Forum Member

The only reason they have any form of succes in the UK is because of Capitol FM without them they would be nothing
Hutchy258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 17:46
getty
Forum Member

Can't see it happening really, they don't even do all that well over here sales wise.
getty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 18:50
Micknsiv
Forum Member

The only reason they have any form of succes in the UK is because of Capitol FM without them they would be nothing
This isn't far wrong. To put it simply, they don't have the songs or the fan base to crack America. Many bigger and better bands have tried and failed. But you never know, their next album might be choc full of outstanding songs and that might lead to bigger things in the States. I very, very much doubt it though.
Old 27-11-2013, 13:03
Tekken_Guy
Forum Member

But surely they need fans to build up momentum. If it wasn't for the fans 1D would never have got radio play
The Wanted were able to score a top 10 hit, despite having little to no American fan base.
Old 27-11-2013, 17:19
kutox
Forum Member

Who is Lawson?
kutox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 18:45
twingle
Forum Member

The Wanted were able to score a top 10 hit, despite having little to no American fan base.
BUT they were managed by Beiber's manager and wouldn't surprise me if it was a case of if you want Beiber on your show you have to have these guys. They got some huge gigs when they first went out there so in reality it isn't surprising they did well in the beginning
twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 19:56
pothuthic
Forum Member

Honestly Im not a huge fan of them, but I've liked every single, wasn't too keen on Brokenhearted, but the other 5 were pretty good
pothuthic is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 00:17
Tekken_Guy
Forum Member

BUT they were managed by Beiber's manager and wouldn't surprise me if it was a case of if you want Beiber on your show you have to have these guys. They got some huge gigs when they first went out there so in reality it isn't surprising they did well in the beginning
Sometimes, you need to break out the song rather than the artist. "Brokenhearted" is a catchy pop-rock song that I want to see become a big hit in the U.S. this Spring. Universal shouldn't try to push Lawson into becoming a 1D-level phenomenon; that would fail spectacularly. They should focus pushing the single rather than on Lawson themselves. And, if "Brokenhearted" clicks with the U.S. audience, then you can move on to "Juliet."
Old 13-01-2014, 01:48
rfonzo
Forum Member

With good promotion and a good amount of air play then it is possible.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2014, 17:39
Marieeve007
Forum Member

Well I sure hope Lawson will eventually crack North America (they have to visit Ottawa!), they're one of my favourite bands and I am absolutely in love with Broken Hearted, it is such a catchy pop song!
Marieeve007 is offline   Reply With Quote