Do you have many DVDs?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
It's rare I buy a DVD, normally get a fee for Christmas

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I collect them. I like 2+ disk versions and uncensored, so you have to go to places like Rewind, Movie Censorship, Melonfarmers etc. in order to select the best version of any DVD you might want to buy. Not only do the film producers censor certain movies for UK release, the BBFC also lend a hand on occasion. As most movies are released from the states, you can't get around any cuts the MPAA may require.

www.dvdcompare.net
    www.movie-censorship.com
    www.melonfarmers.co.uk
    www.bbfc.co.uk
    www.mpaa.org

ETA. General comment. It's quite common for the R1 release of a DVD has better extras than the R2 UK release. If you don't even know what R1 or R2 means, then I suggest you need to learn up fast.

ETA1. If you receive a DVD that has a non white colour (dye) on the back, it is a fake. Needless to say, I can spot a fake DVD a mile off.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I used to have hundreds but they were all knock-off ones I bought for entertainment while in other countries.
    Given them all away now, though.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly any. I watch a film once then I want to watch a different one. It's not like music that you can listen to time and again. Just have a few that I might not find again, like Alias Smith and Jones and The Old Grey Whistle Test.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    All my films are on a media server which has a piece of software I run on a netbook (XBMC) which runs it to the TV's in the house. I've got about 1500 movies on it.

All my DVDs are in the loft or moved on.
  • Options
    42dragonfly42dragonfly Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    About 150; not many considering I've been buying them for years
  • Options
    Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I'm somewhere around 2000 DVDs\Blu-Rays.

Recently I've been transferring all my DVDs onto a Media Server though so I can stick them up in the loft (keeping the Blu-Rays for now though due to the file size and quality concerns). Getting towards the end of the DVDs now and my library is showing as 724 films and 124 TV series (364 Seasons, 3801 Episodes).

Will be 16 years this February that I bought my first 3 DVDs (Jerry Maquire, Mars Attacks and The Toxic Avenger, for £70!) so been collecting quite a long time.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a collection of 300+ in the garage, all top notch films (I'm very fussy) but haven't bought any for a couple of years. Still great to delve into on a rainy weekend, if I have nothing better to do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Between 100-135 I would say.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,944
    Forum Member
    I currently have something like 1900 DVD's/Blu-rays, but that includes sets with multiple films/disc.

I've been buying them for about 13 years, and a lot of them aren't readily available in the UK (foreign films/animation), or have been bought either cheap as individual discs (especially with the likes of Zoverstocks on Amazon), or as multi disc sets.

I think my most expensive single disk was something like a £40 collectors edition of one of my favourite films, and cheapest something like 50p a disc for some of the TV series sets (3rd rock from the sun, that 70's show etc).
    I have a tendency to buy them when either the price drops to a point where I'm happy to splash out on it, or in the case of multi film sets, where the price of the set is less than the cost of the films in it I want to watch (for example it was cheaper to buy the David Lynch set than buy the two films in it I wanted to see, same with Jerry Brockenheimer, Stanley Kubrick etc).

I'm never short of something to watch, the problems tends to be choosing what exactly to watch, or finding the time to watch them :) (I've got about a 30+ disc backlog at the moment of new films, mainly thanks to amazon deals and multi film sets).

[edit]
    Anyone with a reasonably large collection may well find DVD Profiler handy, it's relatively cheap (about £20 for the PC version, same for the mobile versions), and you enter the barcode of the DVD/blu-ray (either manually, or using a scanner), and it lets you easily catalogue your collection with all sorts of information.
    Very handy to avoid buying duplicates, or if you can't remember if you've got a particular film (it also lets you mark them as loaned out, and to who, which is really handy if you do lend them out at all).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    Hardly any. I watch a film once then I want to watch a different one. It's not like music that you can listen to time and again. Just have a few that I might not find again, like Alias Smith and Jones and The Old Grey Whistle Test.

I am the opposite to you. Hardly ever listen to music but I watch films all the time, over and over.

Have around 250 dvds in my collection.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I have 400+ dvdd and blu-rays. I also use DVD Profiler to catalog them. My first DVD was The Matrix R1.
  • Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably around 100 I love watching films, some are a bit obscure or not that popular so when I see them on ebay or amazon I grab them. Two that spring to mind are Guarding Tess and Keeping Mum, neither were big hits but I really love them.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy DVDs that often. I only get films/documentaries etc that I really think I'd like. If we're talking individual discs, I have a lot. This is because I have complete series as well as films and documentaries.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    I collect them. I like 2+ disk versions and uncensored, so you have to go to places like Rewind, Movie Censorship, Melonfarmers etc. in order to select the best version of any DVD you might want to buy. Not only do the film producers censor certain movies for UK release, the BBFC also lend a hand on occasion. As most movies are released from the states, you can't get around any cuts the MPAA may require.

www.dvdcompare.net
    www.movie-censorship.com
    www.melonfarmers.co.uk
    www.bbfc.co.uk
    www.mpaa.org

ETA. General comment. It's quite common for the R1 release of a DVD has better extras than the R2 UK release. If you don't even know what R1 or R2 means, then I suggest you need to learn up fast.

ETA1. If you receive a DVD that has a non white colour (dye) on the back, it is a fake. Needless to say, I can spot a fake DVD a mile off.

Genuine pre-recorded DVDs don't have a white colour under them anyway, they have a very pale yellow or grey colour. Besides, you can buy DVD discs that have the same colour as the ones you buy with films etc on them. They are obviously more expensive to buy though.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 300, I have a little clear out every now and then and sell a few non-essentials on ebay so my collection is only films that I really like
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Genuine pre-recorded DVDs don't have a white colour under them anyway, they have a very pale yellow or grey colour. Besides, you can buy DVD discs that have the same colour as the ones you buy with films etc on them. They are obviously more expensive to buy though.

Yeah, my white is your grey. Regarding the latter point, maybe you are talking about Taiyo Yuden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiyo_Yuden

Verbatim blanks, which I consider to be one of the best for blanks, as far as I know are usually not grey/white etc.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tavis75 wrote: »
    Think I'm somewhere around 2000 DVDs\Blu-Rays.

Recently I've been transferring all my DVDs onto a Media Server though so I can stick them up in the loft (keeping the Blu-Rays for now though due to the file size and quality concerns). Getting towards the end of the DVDs now and my library is showing as 724 films and 124 TV series (364 Seasons, 3801 Episodes).

Will be 16 years this February that I bought my first 3 DVDs (Jerry Maquire, Mars Attacks and The Toxic Avenger, for £70!) so been collecting quite a long time.

Surely sticking them in the loft is risky because you may find yourself in the same situation as people who stockpiled videos years ago. Just a pile of worthless junk.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    At least 200 all over the house. My husband has shelves in the living room, my daughter moved most of hers to the empty bedroom and kept only the ones she liked, I have about 10. It was less with our son moving out and taking all his with him but now oldest son is moving to a smaller flat and gave us a box full of dvds to store in the empty bedroom
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a lot, probably about 200. I have to say that I donated about 50 to our local fete last year to sell. I will probably do the same again this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than 10 for films, I'm not much of a big movie watcher. I have a few for file backup though, about 30.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funds are tight at the moment so I don't buy so much these days.

I prefer to buy TV box sets at the moment and the very best films that I know I'll watch for a long time.

Favourites in my collection are
    Harry Potter
    Dark Knight Trilogy
    Revolution Series 1
    Doctor Who
    Father Ted
    James Bond
    Star Trek
    Indiana Jones Quadrilogy
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Fawlty Towers
    Vicar of Dibley
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Loads but I've all but stopped buying them since I got Netflix.
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full box sets of shows I like (none current)
    Plenty of directors cut/extended edition movies
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've chucked out/recycled a ton of DVDs and books recently. Have about 60 books left and around the same of DVDs, including boxsets. The extra space is fab.
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely buy DVDs but I usually receive them from family & friends at my birthdays & Christmases.

Thanks to this thread as I've discovered today that my children have more DVDs than I have at the moment - Mine stands at 63 compared to my children's 122 (almost double)! :eek: