Options

16 QAM & 64 QAM - the difference??

gwiddecombegwiddecombe Posts: 878
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I've just been reading a few articles regarding how some muxes are broadcast in 16 QAM and others in 64 QAM. What is the difference between the two? Does one provide a stronger signal or does it enable more channels to be fit onto a mux or something else? What are the advantages of one over another?

Sorry if this has been covered before in another thread but it is something I have never properly understood.

Comments

• Options
    Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    64QAM-Provide more channels, but is more prone to interfirance.

16QAM-Provides less channels, but is less prone it interfirance.

What I don't get is why not have 40QAM?
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    bbc rules wrote:
    What I don't get is why not have 40QAM?

Isn't 32QAM the half way point?

Same question applies though!
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There isn't a 32QAM or a 40QAM. The other possibility is QPSK, although I am not sure which one this is most like.
  • Options
    gwiddecombegwiddecombe Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah thats weird because 40 QAM would be a half way house and would increase the capacity on dtt. What is QPSK by the way? Does the BBC being a PSB have an obligation to broadcast in 16QAM at all? I now see why SDN channels seems to suffer from more interference being 64QAM. Is it because channels were 64QAM in the on digital days that more could fit in to the platform?
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to recall that the transmission modes have to go up or down by a factor of 4 (ie 2 squared).

Therefore there is no 32QAM, but there could be an 4QAM or a 256QAM.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i assumed it was hexadecimal...hence 16 & 64
  • Options
    Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Theres no point changing to 64QAM. On 16 QAM it holds 6 channels, but with 64QAM it's 8 channels and for the amount it improves the signal it's not worth it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QPSK is Quadrature Phase Shift Keying = 4QAM
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    6 channels on 16QAM is theoretically possible but the quality would be dreadfull.

16QAM = 4-5 streams
    64QAM = 8-9 streams

would be more like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robot wrote:
    I seem to recall that the transmission modes have to go up or down by a factor of 4 (ie 2 squared).

So how many streams in a 256QAM transmission?

Has anywhere in the world used it yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    I guess it would be

If 16QAM = 4streams then

64QAM = 8streams

256QAM = 16streams

probably wrong though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robot wrote:

There could be a 36QAM
  • Options
    Wobbly SteveWobbly Steve Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I've just been reading a few articles regarding how some muxes are broadcast in 16 QAM and others in 64 QAM. What is the difference between the two? Does one provide a stronger signal or does it enable more channels to be fit onto a mux or something else? What are the advantages of one over another?

Sorry if this has been covered before in another thread but it is something I have never properly understood.

It had been asked before - I asked !! - anyhow here is the link !!!!!

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=81550
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how many streams in a 256QAM transmission?

Has anywhere in the world used it yet?

I imagine it would be possible, but the broadcast range would be a lot smaller - more transmitters and more power would be required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I imagine it would be possible, but the broadcast range would be a lot smaller - more transmitters and more power would be required.

That could be interesting then.

Potentially a single high power transmitter could deliver the 16 basic channels for a remote but fairly clustered town or village.

BBC1
    BBC2
    BBC3 CBeebies
    BBC4 CBBC
    BBC News 24
    ITV1
    ITV2
    ITV3
    C4
    More4
    E4
    C5
    SKY News
    ITV News
    UKTV History
    SKY Travel

Would need a compatible box though.
  • Options
    hazzamonhazzamon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    I believe it is used for Digital Cable services in the US.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Redcoat wrote:
    256QAM is part of the DVB-C (Cable) spec but not for DVB-T (Terrestial) - QPSK, 16QAM and 64QAM are listed for DVB-T

Impossible?

Or just not yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really usable for DVB-T as the signal is far less robust & more susceptible to interference. Cable systems are enclosed and so are not as prone to interference.
  • Options
    Orry VerducciOrry Verducci Posts: 2,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the two modes are something to do with error correction. 16QAM has less channels but has a lot more error correction data meaning there is a lot less interference. 64QAM has more channels but less error correction data making it prone to interference.
  • Options
    Rob_OnlineRob_Online Posts: 2,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which Multiplexs broacast n 64QAM? Is it just Mux A or does Mux 2 now broadcast in 64 as well?
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which Multiplexs broacast n 64QAM? Is it just Mux A or does Mux 2 now broadcast in 64 as well?

Muxes 2 & A have allways been 64QAM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orrysos wrote:
    I think the two modes are something to do with error correction. 16QAM has less channels but has a lot more error correction data meaning there is a lot less interference. 64QAM has more channels but less error correction data making it prone to interference.

Nope, nothing to do with error correction, it's a description of the number of points in, and hence, the spacing of the QAM constellation.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 64 QAM each "bit" can hold one of 64 Values, while 16QAM is one of 16 Values.

So (to simplyfy loads)
    "The Quick Brown Fox "
    would be broadcast as
    [The ][Quic][k Br][own ][Fox ]
    on 64QAM and
    [T][h][e][ ][Q][c][k][ ][r][o][w][n][ ][F][o][x][ ]
    on 16QAM

So if one "bit" gets corrupt on 16QAM it is less noticeable than on 64QAM, and the error correction stands a better chance of fixing it.

256 QAM would be
    [The Quick Brown ][Fox Jumped Over T]
    Hence, losing 1 "bit" would be far more disastourous!
  • Options
    meltcitymeltcity Posts: 2,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Greg Dyke's article on HDTV the BBC is seriously considering switching from QAM16 to QAM64 in order to free up enough bandwidth for two HDTV channels. Watch out, Murdoch!
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meltcity wrote:
    According to Greg Dyke's article on HDTV the BBC is seriously considering switching from QAM16 to QAM64 in order to free up enough bandwidth for two HDTV channels. Watch out, Murdoch!
    You refereing to the Media Guardian / Weekly pull out in Mondays papers?

He was implying that COULD be an option, but he didn't mention the BBC were seriously considering it.