Options

The two new 24/7 local channels are ABC Shopping & Bonanza Bonanza

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they really 24/7?

Or will these two channels simply air in downtime overnight?

If not, it will be a huge waste of spectrum.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is Bonanza Bonanza? I assume it's some sort of shopping channel rather than continuous re-runs of the TV western series.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.a516digital.com/2014/01/comux-acquires-two-ofcom-licences.html
    "Bonanza Bonanza", a general entertainment channel.
    In previous years, Canis Media, who created Comux, has operated a "Bonanza" channel on satellite as a placeholder service until another channel was ready to take over the slot.

More good information from a516.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    "Bonanza Bonanza", a general entertainment channel.

Sounds vague. And if Ch5+24 is anything to go by it'll be full of teleshopping anyway. It's a shame, I was hoping for Movies4Men.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bonanza has appeared on satellite a few times. Expect very old films, Dragnet, The Lucy Show, Beverly Hillbillies, The Lone Ranger, Sherlock Holmes and Bonanza itself. Basically, a holding channel with old public domain content from the US.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonanza has appeared on satellite a few times. Expect very old films, Dragnet, The Lucy Show, Beverly Hillbillies, The Lone Ranger, Sherlock Holmes and Bonanza itself. Basically, a holding channel with old public domain content from the US.

Isn't that pretty much what Movie Mix was doing at the start? I wonder if this is a possible holding channel while they build up the network before becoming something better in a year to 18 months type once more people can get them. In the interim they can get a bit of income from the inevitable Teleshopping?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    christoFar wrote: »
    Sounds vague. And if Ch5+24 is anything to go by it'll be full of teleshopping anyway. It's a shame, I was hoping for Movies4Men.

Whilst I'm not overly impressed by the arrival of yet another shopping channel, another entertainment channel of some sort would be most welcome. I'd like to think that we might be getting something along the lines of True Drama or indeed Movies4Men but we'll just have to wait and see on that one.

Thanks also to tomee for highlighting this new development.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kev wrote: »
    Isn't that pretty much what Movie Mix was doing at the start? I wonder if this is a possible holding channel while they build up the network before becoming something better in a year to 18 months type once more people can get them. In the interim they can get a bit of income from the inevitable Teleshopping?

It could be, but on satellite Bonanza has always been used as a placeholder until they could sell the slot to another channel. My guess would be they're doing the same on DTT..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonanza Bonanza confirm for LCN 64.

https://twitter.com/hall_ed/status/428834217062309888
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ABC Shopping much be coming soon to LCN65?
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    ABC Shopping much be coming soon to LCN65?
    Or maybe LCN50? We won't know until something is confirmed.
  • Options
    copiermancopierman Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    It's seems to be a shared channel.
    Shopping from 7am to 11am then it becomes Bonanza Bonanza.
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    copierman wrote: »
    It's seems to be a shared channel.
    Shopping from 7am to 11am then it becomes Bonanza Bonanza.

That would not fit in with the other channel still being on test on LCN 791. It looks like the arrangement is similar to ITV1 where the shopping programming is not treated as a separate channel with its own LCN.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it'll follow Movie Mix in having an absurdly prominent logo that makes it unwatchable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I wonder if it'll follow Movie Mix in having an absurdly prominent logo that makes it unwatchable.
    When you say "it" which channel are you referring to? BonanzaBonanza does have a logo and it's fairly large and prominent, but not as distracting as Movie Mix which has got even worse with the recent rebrand and I agree makes the channel completely unwatchable, I can't imagine how anybody could bear it.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems this channel ended on May 1 despite it being relatively new:

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/05/the-bonanza-is-over-for-freeview-viewers.html

I didn't even have a chance to check out the old episodes of Dragnet etc. Some are archived according to this article.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was only ever going to be a temporary channel.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It was only ever going to be a temporary channel.

So I now understand. A pity it wasn't given better publicity.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonanza Channel now removed from Freeview epg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Bonanza Channel now removed from Freeview epg.
    That went weeks ago.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies, I'm obviously a little behind, obviously I knew it had stopped broadcasting but I hadn't seen it mentioned on here that LCN 64 had been removed and I hadn't done a retune so it was still on my epg on both my Freeview devices.