Options

Comedians That Aren't Funny in Real Life!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
Forum Member
There's the old theory that the best comedians are the ones that aren't actually very funny in real life.

What other comedians do you know of who aren't very funnyof stage!

I've been in the presence of Peter Kay on a night out (I don't know him personally) and I found him quite dull!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Des Teeny wrote:
    There's the old theory that the best comedians are the ones that aren't actually very funny in real life.

What other comedians do you know of who aren't very funnyof stage!

I've been in the presence of Peter Kay on a night out (I don't know him personally) and I found him quite dull!

Most comedians are an 'act' on stage though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the ones that are neither funny in real life nor funny on stage that get on my nerves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Sellers and John Cleese - two of my favourite comedians - were almost equally famous for their dark periods of depression as for their hilarious comedy.

xx
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Cook was apparently not that funny to spend time with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Joe Pasquale in "Im a celebrity.." he did not say or do one thing that was ever even close to being funny, but I still found him more amusing than when watching him do his comedy act.
  • Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not exactly comedians, but most of the chaps who did the Carry on films seemed to be particularly miserable in real life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,555
    Forum Member
    Sean Hughes who I would categorise as a failed comic rather than a comedian is a mean misogynist in real life.
    Rob Newman however is charming and very witty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless they are actually their real self on stage and the rest of their life is the "act".

It's like if you want to be known as a genius, you have to cultivate depression or drink or another "flaw" in order to satisfy the "genius criteria"
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan Davies (Jonathan Creek) is said to be particularly miserable in real life.
    Although some would argue that he's much the same on screen.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Joe Pasquale.....neither funny on stage or in real life....
  • Options
    chocolatekisseschocolatekisses Posts: 11,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote:
    Alan Davies (Jonathan Creek) is said to be particularly miserable in real life.
    Although some would argue that he's much the same on screen.

really? i'm gutted now, he was on my 'list' of potentials ;)

*strike through Alan Davies*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote:
    Joe Pasquale.....neither funny on stage or in real life....

I did crack up when I saw him on telly the other day wearing only a red sequinned thong and a pair of wings though :D:o
  • Options
    FreeViewRulesFreeViewRules Posts: 1,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen come footage of Eric Morecambe off screen now he was funny. I think its because he seemed to never really try it just seemed to come natural to him
  • Options
    SnozzwanglerSnozzwangler Posts: 82,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maimou wrote:
    Sean Hughes who I would categorise as a failed comic rather than a comedian is a mean misogynist in real life.

Can you expand on that? I really like him :(

That Nesbit bloke and his chubby mate from Cold Feet are not nice ... according to another actress from the series, who came into where I worked. She said Nesbit is particularly horrid.

Bumped into Vic Reeves, he was a bit of a boring, vain plonker.

I sat on the train with the bloke that played the computer in Red Dwarf ... he was not funny but really, really nice ... cheerful and chatty :D
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not funny and suffering from depression aren't exactly the same thing, but Tony Hancock suffered from depression for years and in interviews did seem a very very self analytical type of person.
  • Options
    SnozzwanglerSnozzwangler Posts: 82,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did crack up when I saw him on telly the other day wearing only a red sequinned thong and a pair of wings though :D:o

;)

So did I, his bum was surprisingly better than I had expected :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote:
    Not funny and suffering from depression aren't exactly the same thing, but Tony Hancock suffered from depression for years and in interviews did seem a very very self analytical type of person.

Obviously a genius.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,125
    Forum Member
    maimou wrote:

I've always liked Rob Newman. It's nice to see him get a mention :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    please no=one tell me that Steve Coogan ain't funny or i'll really be gutted.

He's related to a friend of mine through marraige and I keep pestering her to invite me when they have a family 'do'.

although she reckons he's quite short in real life but I don't care, short I can cope with, not funny I couldn't!

I have a pic of him (as Alan P) in my bathroom :o;) )
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about real-life so much, but in interviews Matt Lucas is deadly dull. Put him in a baby-suit or women's clothes and he's quite funny. Sit him on a sofa and try to interview him out of character and he's painful to watch/ listen to. Compounded all he more by the fact that he's usually interviewed alongside David Walliams who can be funny in 'straight' situations.
  • Options
    JRHJRH Posts: 6,588
    Forum Member
    I find Joe Pasquale hilarious, and the exact opposite feeling for Peter Kay - who appears to me as if he's just doing what he'd do on a normal day.

I also find those people in 'Little Britain' to be painfully less than funny.

I don't think you can expect people to be the same in real life, though. It's a bit like expecting Chris Moyles' sentences to be followed by music! :)
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PamelaL wrote:
    Peter Cook was apparently not that funny to spend time with.

Everyone who knew Peter Cook has said he was the funniest person they ever met and he was funniest when he was just talking to people in a social situation.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    My Aunt, many years ago, used to work as a silver service waitress at lots of showbiz type dos. She always said Eric Morecambe was a complete gentleman, very funny and very popular with all the waitresses etc. (However, you don't want to know what used to end up in the less than popular Max Bygraves soup ;) )
  • Options
    ShowbizGosQueenShowbizGosQueen Posts: 7,469
    Forum Member
    (However, you don't want to know what used to end up in the less than popular Max Bygraves soup ;) )

Aww, go on - tell us a story ;):D
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is their job.

Do you act exactly the same way at work as when you do when you aren't at work?

Then have to worry about making people laugh when they are on stage so I think it is understandable if they are dour off stage.