Options

Fleming: Mini Series [US Pace] Jan.29th, Feb 19th 2014

xander63xander63 Posts: 669
Forum Member
✭✭
Starts tonight! Anyone else looking forward to this one, looks like a quality production from the trailers. :)

Plot: Look at the 007 creator, Ian Fleming, and his early life set against the permissive society of war-torn WWII London.

Stars: Dominic Cooper, Rupert Evans, Lara Pulver.

Comments

• Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this not shown over here already? If not why not.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Was this not shown over here already? If not why not.

It starts on Sky Atlantic on 12 February. BBC America is a co-producer on the project, but I am quite sure that they are the JUNIOR co-producer, so one would think Sky would insist on being able to air the show before their US partner.
  • Options
    xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting opening episode, looking forward to seeing where the remaining three episodes go.

Very Bond-esque in tone, even down to the music! :p

Fleming was quite the ladies man it seems, now we know where Bond got it from. :)

It looks great, and I like the cast.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    xander63 wrote: »
    Interesting opening episode, looking forward to seeing where the remaining three episodes go.

Fleming was quite the ladies man it seems, now we know where Bond got it from. :)

Just a miniseries then?

What were peoples thoughts on it? There are several new shows coming up so i'm deciding which ones to give a go.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xander63 wrote: »

I agree about the opening music: reminiscent of John Barry but just different enough to avoid litigation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Starts tonight on Sky Atlantic
  • Options
    standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I'm amazed the writers seem to think that Ian Fleming devised operation mincemeat ,also known as the man who never was ,that is unfounded ,I'm starting to think that the entire premiss of this series is utter drivel !
    During ww1 operation Haversack used the same ploy !
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    standinman wrote: »
    I'm amazed the writers seem to think that Ian Fleming devised operation mincemeat ,also known as the man who never was ,that is unfounded ,I'm starting to think that the entire premiss of this series is utter drivel !
    During ww1 operation Haversack used the same ploy !

Much of what Fleming did in the Second World War remains classified. He also wrote the blueprint foe the setting up of the CIA in later years, for which the US government rewarded him with a gold-plated Colt revolver inscribed "For Special Services".
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed it - I love Bond so its interesting to learn more about about the man behind Bond

looking forward to the next installment
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    At least it had the obligatory 'naked man gets out of bed' scene.

There is no drama that does not have this. Remarkable trope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it has to be coupled with the female laying on the bed in a skimpy sheet that just covers the essentials
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it - I love Bond so its interesting to learn more about about the man behind Bond

looking forward to the next installment

You're not really learning much about him because, historically, the show is b*llocks. That's not to say it isn't well done and Cooper has managed to capture Fleming's arrogant swagger. But this is the version of Fleming's life that Ian Fleming would like to tell. And somewhere, he's sitting on a cloud chuckling contentedly at the absurdity of it all. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it enormously. But at odd moments where real events meet the script, they both nod politely and then run for it.

The best biography about Ian Fleming was published in the 60s by John Pearson. It's been reissued recently and is one of the best biographies I've ever read. Well worth a read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the music set it off on the right track.

I'm not sure about it being based on facts as i'm seeing it as a decent enough classy spy drama and that'll do me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed after Ep 3.