DS Fantasy Eurovision 50: Let Go For London!

Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello everybody and welcome to the 50th DSFE, with Foxes finally taking England to victory over in Tallinn, meaning that for our landmark 50th contest we'll be setting up came in LONDON.

Before I continue, lets take a moment to listen to the the beautiful Foxes with her winning performance of 'Let Go For Tonight'.

Now that is out of the way, let me explain to you how the contest will be going down:

Originally, I thought about 'letting go' for the 50th and suggesting a concept of having no rules... but as fun as i'm sure that would be, it's highly impractical. (Suchashame.) So, the contest will be random as opposed to picks and you'll be given two countries after the deadline passes. The rules for choosing songs are the same as usual, but if you're a newcomer (and newcomers are always welcome!) here are the rules to abide by.

RULES
•An entry cannot be recorded before the year 2000.
•The song must not exceed five minutes in length,
•Former Eurovision stars are allowed but it cannot be the same song that they performed in the actual contest or at a national pre-selection.
•The song cannot have appeared in the UK Top 40.
•The song must not have been used already in DSFE.
•The artist must be from your country or have ties through parents or grandparents. No other links will be accepted.

I'm also going to be stealing the wonderful Alexos' list of 60 countries, and will be requesting to use the good/bad country stats for the draws. (More countries will be handed out if we have more than 30 signups)
Aland Islands (can pick from Finland)
Albania
Andorra (can pick from Spain)
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
England
Estonia
Faroe Islands (can pick from Denmark)
Finland
France
Georgia (can pick from Georgia, lol good luck)
Germany
Gotland (can pick from Sweden)
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jersey (can pick from England)
Kazakhstan
Latvia
Liechtenstein (can pick from Germany)
Lithuania
Luxembourg (can pick from Netherlands)
Macedonia
Malta
Moldova
Monaco (can pick from France)
Montenegro
Netherlands
North Africa (can pick from Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya or Egypt)
Northern Ireland (can pick from Ireland)
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino (can pick from Italy)
Scotland
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Svalbard (can pick from Norway)
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine
Wales
Western Asia (can pick from Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Jordan and Kuwait)

SO with all that said, please sign up by sending me a cute little private message over here. I won't be replying but i'll post a list daily into the thread so y'all can see if I've acknowledged your message or not!

The deadline for sign ups is TUESDAY 4th MARCH at 5pm, with countries to be distributed immediately after.

As it's the milestone 50th contest, and the contest will be landing on the 3rd anniversary of the 1st, we should make a point about making this the greatest contest ever. I'll do my best but I need all of you to be enthusiastic and active okay great.

xoxo

Comments

• TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I was meant to have moved house by now, but it's completion got pushed back a month so am therefore able to compete in the 50th contest, which is all good.

Btw, I don't know if you noticed Carlisle, but there was no Croatia in the previous contest, are we going to do without them again?
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryP wrote: »
    Well I was meant to have moved house by now, but it's completion got pushed back a month so am therefore able to compete in the 50th contest, which is all good.

Btw, I don't know if you noticed Carlisle, but there was no Croatia in the previous contest, are we going to do without them again?

I hadn't noticed, pesky Alex; I wonder what Croatia ever did to him!

I've removed Denmark 3 (Greenland) and swapped it for Croatia. :) Greenland will be reinstated if more than 30 sign up.
  • yoshi94yoshi94 Posts: 6,140
    Forum Member
    London at last :p Anyway, really looking forward to this one :D
    Here's a little something for you all, the very first contest thread:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1450193
    First time I've seen this one, loving what happened to Belgium, just as well that rule got culled, I don't think Belarus could even take part if that was still a rule, not to mention others too :p. Great piece of history though, wonder how many players from the first one will be here in London. Here we go! :D
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,491
    Forum Member
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    London at last :p Anyway, really looking forward to this one :D
    Here's a little something for you all, the very first contest thread:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1450193
    First time I've seen this one, loving what happened to Belgium, just as well that rule got culled, I don't think Belarus could even take part if that was still a rule, not to mention others too :p. Great piece of history though, wonder how many players from the first one will be here in London. Here we go! :D

In a way, I'd love a return to more that style of contest- a lot more compact. I'm not sure it will ever happen, though.
  • AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh oops, poor Croatia. It wasn't in the list of stats I was using for some reason. But I guess if no one noticed until now then oh well. Maybe I was subconsciously delaying Lorde's long expected debut.

The first contest is so innocent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's crazy to think how much DSFE has been through and seen since it's debut all those years ago! Wish I had found it a little bit earlier than I did so I could be an original. :p
  • TerryPTerryP Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alexos wrote: »
    Oh oops, poor Croatia. It wasn't in the list of stats I was using for some reason. But I guess if no one noticed until now then oh well. Maybe I was subconsciously delaying Lorde's long expected debut.

The first contest is so innocent.

It wasn't there because they have unbelievable never had a top 10, their best result was 11th back in contest #4.
  • AlexosAlexos Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't there because they have unbelievable never had a top 10, their best result was 11th back in contest #4.

Ah I see. Well they need to try harder tbh.
  • Damien.Damien. Posts: 18,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to say, when I had the idea three years ago I didn't imagine for a second it would be run for over 50 editions. Fair play to everyone who has kept it alive all this time.. :eek:!
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's almost like the real thing
  • EuanDesuEuanDesu Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope I make it to the final for the 50th XD
    Forum Member
    Damien! The baby really has grown up...it was a fantastic idea, which is why it's lasted so long, and become international, how many countries do the participating members come from? I can think of 6, any more?
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

least it wasn't Norway :blush:
  • mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damien. wrote: »
    Have to say, when I had the idea three years ago I didn't imagine for a second it would be run for over 50 editions. Fair play to everyone who has kept it alive all this time.. :eek:!

Are you participating this time?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikabv wrote: »
    Are you participating this time?

I hope he is :) Would be great to have the veteran creator of DSFE back for it's milestone session. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are countries assigned randomly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuanDesu wrote: »
    How are countries assigned randomly?

I was considering either random.org drafting the countries out in two sets (good & bad) or just random-shuffling the list of participants and then assign them to a set of two countries. o:

22 sign-ups currently, if you think you've signed up but aren't on the list then I haven't acknowledged it oops.

21stCenturyBoy
    AcerBen
    Alexos
    avb
    AxG
    Carlisle156
    dylanpartyon
    EuanDesu
    Fudd
    Gav 2.0
    Gwen 404
    JonahTakalua
    kvn
    mikabv
    MissMidgard
    nick1990
    phill363
    poshbloke
    stanld03
    TerryP
    yoshi94
    Yugimuto1
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh can you sign me up pleeeeeaaaasssee. It won't let me send messages on my phone!! Lol. Cheers :)
  • MiesBouwmanMiesBouwman Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was considering either random.org drafting the countries out in two sets (good & bad) or just random-shuffling the list of participants and then assign them to a set of two countries. o:

When I hosted I actually physically put them into different pots and had an actual draw. It was both awesome and a little sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Oh can you sign me up pleeeeeaaaasssee. It won't let me send messages on my phone!! Lol. Cheers :)

Sure thing :P
    When I hosted I actually physically put them into different pots and had an actual draw. It was both awesome and a little sad.

Ahah well it does sound strangely fun to do!! :D
    Forum Member
    The last time the contest was held on English soil was the first time I came across this thing, coming just after the real contest in Düsseldorf. One of the legendary contests, with its final drama, its attempted suicides, its brilliantly timed thread split, & its brutal qualifiers (which, reading 21's intro post, look like DSFE's first QFs), I give you number 6 - Manchester!
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1483905
  • mikabvmikabv Posts: 4,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's in your opinion the best combination of Countries you ever got?

Mine were:

-Ireland and Germany
    -Austria and Switzerland
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    yoshi94 wrote: »
    The last time the contest was held on English soil was the first time I came across this thing, coming just after the real contest in Düsseldorf. One of the legendary contests, with its final drama, its attempted suicides, its brilliantly timed thread split, & its brutal qualifiers (which, reading 21's intro post, look like DSFE's first QFs), I give you number 6 - Manchester!
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1483905

Otherwise known as the Jamala contest! :D

Probably my best combination of countries was Latvia and Wallonia, because I knew I had something decent in mind for both.
    Forum Member
    Just hearing Foxes on Radio 1 now - she's in the live lounge on Tuesday, I think we should all tweet/Facebook/email Radio 1 on Tuesday saying about her win, to try & get DSFE mentioned on Radio 1...what do you think? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikabv wrote: »
    What's in your opinion the best combination of Countries you ever got?

Mine were:

-Ireland and Germany
    -Austria and Switzerland

Belarus and Italy, as I simply adored both of my entries ( which I'm still miffed about that they didn't get through).