Options

BSkyB blocks Amazon Instant Video (LoveFilm) from UK Roku platform?

justjaxjustjax Posts: 939
Forum Member
✭✭
So for those of you like myself who were hopefully that the Amazon Instant Video channel would show up on the UK Roku service now that LoveFilm has become Amazon Instant Video (seems a good bet as they already have a channel on the US service), prepare to be disappointed. It looks like it ain't going to happen and we have BSkyB to thank for apparently.

According to a blogger who commented on this Roku related blog, Amazon told him that BskyB have blocked Roku form adding them and the guy who runs the blog said he's heard similar things from other sources.

Have to say I'm mightly ducked off to say the very least. While BSkyB's investment in Roku (think they now have a 40% investment) may have helped bring on aboard the terrestrial channels like 4OD, Demand 5 and upcoming ITV Player, I don't want their influence dumbing down the platform in an effort to sabotage the competition. They already block Netflix on the NOW TV box (which is essenitally a rebadged Roky LT), but didn't think they would start using their clout to start limiting the contact on the full Roku boxes.

What next? What's to stop BSkyB signing a deal with Apple TV (or other services) and doing the deal so it cuts out competitors like Amazon Instant Video or Blink Box?

Comments

• Options
    vincebenvinceben Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    Hopefully it's just a rumour and BSkyB haven't got any clout when it comes to the Roku channels, I think it's doubtful as we still have Netflix, Crackle etc.
    I think the real reason is that Amazon are releasing their own streaming box very soon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinceben wrote: »
    Hopefully it's just a rumour and BSkyB haven't got any clout when it comes to the Roku channels, I think it's doubtful as we still have Netflix, Crackle etc.
    I think the real reason is that Amazon are releasing their own streaming box very soon
    Well I wouldn't say they don't have any clout, News Corp, BSkyB and two other venture capital firms have invested in excess of $50 in the last year and the combined investment of both News Corp/BSkyB could therefore be enough to dictate some direction at least in the UK.
    Netflix and Crackle are legacy channels with deals in place beforewell before BSkyB made any investment so I don't think they could get existing channels removed as it would be too much of a customer backlash. Anyway, hopefully it is an unfounded rumour as Roku is a great platform and it would be a shame to see it watered down because of BSkyB's self interest.
  • Options
    MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I'll double their investment to $100 , that should give me bigger say in what goes on
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinceben wrote: »

Its not their upcoming box that's the reason. Amazon are a service company not a hardware one, the hardware side basically makes no money on any of their devices and is only there to hook new customers into their ecosystem.

They have launched their services on most other platforms even when they have their own hardware. They only really stay away from others ecosystems when either the platform owners make it difficult/expensive for them to launch on the platform or where development is difficult so they deem it not worth the time/expense at this time as is the case with Android as a whole.

You wouldn't think its a difficulty in developing the app for the Roku as they have the US app they can customise and as Roku is the most popular streaming box platform in the UK by not being on it they are missing out on a significant membership base so the Platform owners (or in this case one of the shareholders of the platform owners) making it difficult for them seems like the only explainable reason for it being missing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeanMint wrote: »
    I'll double their investment to $100 , that should give me bigger say in what goes on

LOL, of course I meant $50m not $50.00 :D
  • Options
    SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By my reckoning Amazon have about two weeks to launch or make an announcement otherwise a hell of a lot of people are going to be cancelling free trials of Prime taken out in advance of the changes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    and as Roku is the most popular streaming box platform in the UK by not being on it they are missing out on a significant membership base so the Platform owners (or in this case one of the shareholders of the platform owners) making it difficult for them seems like the only explainable reason for it being missing
    Would be interesting to know who many units Roku has now sold in the UK, do you have links to any articles, etc that confirm that Roku is the most popular streaming platform in the UK. Great if it and even more reason why Amazon should be on there!
    By my reckoning Amazon have about two weeks to launch or make an announcement otherwise a hell of a lot of people are going to be cancelling free trials of Prime taken out in advance of the changes.
    While I would love that to be the case (as it might spur them into action) do we really think that many Amazon Prime customers signed up just on the assumption that they'd offer Amazon Instant Video on the Roku?
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justjax wrote: »
    Would be interesting to know who many units Roku has now sold in the UK, do you have links to any articles, etc that confirm that Roku is the most popular streaming platform in the UK. Great if it and even more reason why Amazon should be on there!

While I would love that to be the case (as it might spur them into action) do we really think that many Amazon Prime customers signed up just on the assumption that they'd offer Amazon Instant Video on the Roku?

It was mentioned in one of the articles last year about studies showing that it was the most popular platform in the US. I can't find the article again (there's so many of them) and I don't recall any sales figures being given but they indicated the trend was the same as the US. Total units sold were higher for the AppleTV but Roku boxes sold the second most and had both a higher average use time and more units actually being used (apparently AppleTV's have a fair amount that get bought and then end up in a drawer not being used and many of those that are used aren't used for streaming but simply to mirror iPads onto a larger screen)
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    justjax wrote: »

I bought a roku box purely because I thought you'd be able 2 access Amazon Prime through it! :blush: ... I was gutted when I tried 2 add the app via the website & it wouldn't allow it! :(

(I also have a netflix account aswell so it wasn't a total waste of money!) :)