Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Dan Whiston

Old 11-03-2014, 16:14
kaycee
Forum Member

Dan has always been one of my favourites of the pro skaters, but is it just me, or does anyone else think he lost some of his verve and energy this last series - especially towards the last few weeks?

I know he had a arm injury, but most pros put on their "game faces" when suffering an injury....

To be honest, watching the 2 boleros in the final, all of us watching (7 of us) all agreed that Ray looked far better than Dan, and he's only a celeb.
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-03-2014, 16:40
Patti-Ann
Forum Member

Ray and Maria can skate as an equal partnership (as commented by the judges). He does do lifts, but their routines are mostly dance and skating.

With Hayley and Dan, he does most of the work (including lifts) while Hayley concentrates on performing.
Patti-Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:51
The Swampster
Forum Member

Ray and Maria can skate as an equal partnership (as commented by the judges). He does do lifts, but their routines are mostly dance and skating.

With Hayley and Dan, he does most of the work (including lifts) while Hayley concentrates on performing.
I agree. Unusually, perhaps, I'm not a huge fan of Dan's, but in fairness to him I think he has to work extremely hard in his partnership with Hayley: lifting, supporting, pushing and pulling her in order to showcase her "performance talents". Hayley cannot really skate well enough to do the kind of beautiful side-by-side skating Ray does with Maria and Dan really has to tone down his performance to present Hayley (rather than outshine her).
The Swampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 20:28
rosco2010
Forum Member

Dan is nearly 40 so he's probably looking towards retirement without any serious recurring injuries. Maria is 41 (!) but there was very little prospect of someone like Ray causing her any injury, so perhaps that's way.
rosco2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 21:56
Diane J
Forum Member

Dan is nearly 40 so he's probably looking towards retirement without any serious recurring injuries. Maria is 41 (!) but there was very little prospect of someone like Ray causing her any injury, so perhaps that's way.
He's 37, thats hardly nearly 40!

I can't say I noticed any different to be honest, what we have to remember is that it is a long haul for all the pros regardles of age.
Diane J is offline   Reply With Quote