Options

Animal intelligence

Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think it is fair to say that consciousness is a matter of degree rather than a fundamental difference between us and other animals.

Corvids and Parrots for example.

http://time.com/42068/crows-intelligence-animals/

http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Me-Scientist-Discovered-Intelligence/dp/0061673986

Cetaceans, Cephalopods, Birds, Reptiles (Monitor lizards can count and the magnificent Komodo Dragon may be the smartest of the lot).

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/6474/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBRnMeium9Y

The list just keeps getting longer the more we study.

Stomatopods (the incredible Mantis Shrimps with the best eyesight and weapons in the animal kingdom) and Jumping spiders of the genus Portia are also very good examples of high cognition in unexpected places.

The web is full of excellent videos on this very subject.

I think a lot of people will be surprised. :)

Forget all about your bloody cats and dogs. :D

Comments

• Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice read
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice read

Thank you, I am just glad that someone replied at last! :D
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Small point maybe but those first two links are about some animals' ability to learn, not about the degree of consciousness that they might enjoy.

Corvids have long been renowned for their intelligence and adaptability. For years, countrymen have claimed that they can tell the difference between a shotgun and any other long implement, like a walking stick. Maybe they were right.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Small point maybe but those first two links are about some animals' ability to learn, not about the degree of consciousness that they might enjoy.

Corvids have long been renowned for their intelligence and adaptability. For years, countrymen have claimed that they can tell the difference between a shotgun and any other long implement, like a walking stick. Maybe they were right.

I remember seeing film of a crow being faced with a fairly complex puzzle which it had to solve in order to be able to get at some food. The impressive thing was that it didn't use trial and error. It solved the problem by looking at it, and figuring out what to do, so it got it right first time! (I remember thinking to myself at the time that I knew a few people who'd have struggled! :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing film of a crow being faced with a fairly complex puzzle which it had to solve in order to be able to get at some food. The impressive thing was that it didn't use trial and error. It solved the problem by looking at it, and figuring out what to do, so it got it right first time! (I remember thinking to myself at the time that I knew a few people who'd have struggled! :D)

There was a three part documentary with Chris Packham that was pretty good on this very subject. :)

'Inside the Animal Mind'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oUU4RCRzzc

'The Problem Solvers' (episode 2) - showed New Caledonian Crows solving the most complex puzzle that any animal has ever attempted - and this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

I just love the fact that you can look out of the window and see one of the most intelligent animals on earth in your back garden. ^_^

Corvids are truly remarkable, and so are Parrots. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62rXKjXgr60
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crows can make tools.
    This species uses stick tools in the wild by finding small twigs and probing them into hole in logs to extract insects and larvae.[2] New Caledonian crows are also able to manufacture tools by breaking twigs off bushes and trimming them to produce functional stick tools.[2] Tool manufacture is rare in comparison to simple tool use and indicates a higher level of cognitive function. The crows can also make leaf tools by tearing rectangular strips off the edges of Pandanus spp. leaves.[7] The creation of such leaf tools allows these crows to exploit naturally occurring hooks – the barbs running along the edges of these leaves can be used as hooks if the tool is held such that the barbs point towards the crows’ head. Other naturally occurring hooks are also incorporated within tools, such as the thorns that grow on vine species in New Caledonia.[7] These crows create hooks by crafting both wood and ferns into hooks.[7] This is done by trimming the junctions between two branches or fern stolons into a tick shape (i.e. one junction has a long piece of wood/stolon attached, one junction has a small piece of wood /stolon attached) and then removing material from this junction to create a functioning hook. This imposition of three-dimensional form onto a natural material resembles carving. The only other species to exhibit hook tool manufacture is humans.

The New Caledonian Crow is the only non-primate species for which there is evidence of cumulative cultural evolution in tool manufacture. That is, this species appear to have invented new tools by modifying existing ones, then passing these innovations to other individuals in the cultural group. Gavin R. Hunt and colleagues at the University of Auckland studied tools the crows make out of pandanus (or screw pine) leaves:

Crows snip into the leaf edges and then tear out neat strips of vegetation with which they can probe insect-harboring crevices. These tools have been observed to come in three types: narrow strips, wide strips and multi-stepped strips—which are wide at one end and, via a manufacturing process that involves stepwise snips and tears, become narrow at the opposite end.[8]

Observations of the distribution of 5,500 leaf counterparts or stencils left behind by the cutting process suggest that the narrow and the stepped tools are more advanced versions of the wide tool type. "The geographical distribution of each tool type on the island suggests a unique origin, rather than multiple independent inventions". This implies that the inventions, which involve a delicate change in the manufacturing process, were being passed from one individual to another.[7]

The New Caledonian Crow also spontaneously makes tools from materials it does not encounter in the wild, the only non-human species known to do so. In 2002, researcher Alex Kacelnik and colleagues at the University of Oxford observed of a couple of New Caledonian Crows called Betty and Abel:

Betty's toolmaking abilities came to light by accident during an experiment in which she and Abel had to choose between a hooked and a straight wire for retrieving small pieces of pig heart, their favorite food. When Abel made off with the hooked wire, Betty bent the straight wire into a hook and used the tool to lift a small bucket of food from a vertical pipe. This experiment was the first time the crows had been presented with wire.[9]

Subsequently, this ability was tested through a series of systematic experiments. Out of ten successful retrievals, Betty bent the wire into a hook nine times. Abel retrieved the food once, without bending the wire.[3] The process would usually start with Betty trying to get the food bucket with the straight wire, but then she would make a hook from it bending it in different ways, usually by snagging one end of the wire under something, and then using the bent hook to pick up the tray.

Clearly, Betty's creation of hooks cannot be attributed to the shaping or reinforcement of trial-and-error behavior. In 2004, Gavin Hunt observed the crows in the wild also making hooks, but the adaptation to the new material of the wire was clearly novel, and also purposeful. This type of intentional tool-making, even if it is generalizing a prior experience to a completely new context, is rare in the animal world. Chimpanzees have great difficulty in similar innovative tasks.

The use of direct human activity has been recorded as well. This involves placing nuts in front of a vehicle on a heavy trafficked street, waiting for a car to crush it open and then waiting at pedestrian lights with other pedestrians to retrieve the crushed nut safely.[10]
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funnily enough, i watched this not an hour ago. a bonobo ape building a fire, lighting it (with a match) and putting some marshmallows on a stick to toast them

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/monkey-planet-watch-incredible-video-3420033
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously there's different degrees and types of intelligence between different animals, but what's really amazing, if you think about it, is that none of them have advanced one miilimetre in millenia, whereas humans continue to advance apace.

We are many light years ahead of even the most intelligent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason why humans are so brilliant and have been able to achieve something is down to communication. We have a language and can effectively work as a team. Animals (even those we consider the 2nd most intelligent) cannot.

I do often stare at one of my three cats who I deem the most intelligent and wonder what it is thinking. Obviously it has thoughts, presumably consisting of visual memories and basic associations with what works and what doesn't, but its inability to communicate with anything, including me, holds her back. I wonder if she finds that frustrating :confused::blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Obviously there's different degrees and types of intelligence between different animals, but what's really amazing, if you think about it, is that none of them have advanced one miilimetre in millenia, whereas humans continue to advance apace.

Our use of Language, a fully opposable thumb and the precision grip. :)

However -

"For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much - the wheel, New York, wars and so on - whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reasons."

:D
  • Options
    kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I keep birds of prey and te intelligence of some of them never cease to amaze me. Got some owls too and they are maybe known for being wise but generally they are thick as pigpoo lol
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

Humans have only started advancing quickly in the last couple of thousand years.
    Before that we stagnated just like the rest of the animals.
    For any species to advance like us they will 1st need to communicate with language, which some already do.
    But when only passing on information by word of mouth the effect is limited, it was only when humans started writing that we truly evolved at blistering pace.
    Now any human can call upon the knowledge and wisdom of the billions that went before us.

We are only as smart as we are because we have the time and resources to learn.
    But other species of animals will one day evolve like we have, if we don't kill them all 1st.

Take a look at these chimps, they already have far greater short term memory than humans.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7ShiQqLQg
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Humans have only started advancing quickly in the last couple of thousand years.
    Before that we stagnated just like the rest of the animals.
    For any species to advance like us they will 1st need to communicate with language, which some already do.
    But when only passing on information by word of mouth the effect is limited, it was only when humans started writing that we truly evolved at blistering pace.
    Now any human can call upon the knowledge and wisdom of the billions that went before us.

We are only as smart as we are because we have the time and resources to learn.
    But other species of animals will one day evolve like we have, if we don't kill them all 1st.

Take a look at these chimps, they already have far greater short term memory than humans.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7ShiQqLQg

I hope so. I'd love to chat to my cat ;-)
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    funnily enough, i watched this not an hour ago. a bonobo ape building a fire, lighting it (with a match) and putting some marshmallows on a stick to toast them

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/monkey-planet-watch-incredible-video-3420033

Monkey Planet's on tonight, BBC1 9pm.

Cool thread Keyser, loved the links in your OP.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG, that last link is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! Thanks! :D
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    I hope so. I'd love to chat to my cat ;-)

I can picture the scene...

-Hello Mr Tiddles, how are you today oh love of my life? Looking cute as ever.

-Shut-up foolish human and get me my food!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    OMG, that last link is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time! Thanks! :D

Thank you very much Deb Arckle. ^_^

That video always makes me laugh.

Corvids frequently make dogs and cats look like total fools!

I would go so far as to say they have a malicious sense of humour. :D:D:D
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's different types of intelligence. A Budgie (parrot family) is quite socially intelligent and can seem to be overall intelligent as a result (recognising different humans, responding to human moods, general interaction) but are actually as thick as a brick :)
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Way back to at least the ancient Greeks - Aesops fable about the Crow and the pitcher.
    And it seems they haven't got any dumber since - Rook raises water level with stones
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Way back to at least the ancient Greeks - Aesops fable about the Crow and the pitcher.
    And it seems they haven't got any dumber since - Rook raises water level with stones

I forgot to posts links on that.

Thanks. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaUM_OngaY

http://phys.org/news/2014-03-crows-basic-aesop-fable-task.html

I find it quite incredible and I very much doubt the average toddler could ever work the problem out.

There are several books on Corvid intelligence although I have not read them yet. This is a link to one of the most recent. ^_^

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1439198748/ref=rdr_ext_tmb
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I find it quite incredible and I very much doubt the average toddler could ever work the problem out.

If you tried it with average the toddler around here, I'd put money on them eating the stones! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you tried it with average the toddler around here, I'd put money on them eating the stones! :D

Brilliant. :D

Although I expect most of the adults on Jeremy Kyle would be totally baffled as well. ;-)
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant thread K, thanks:D

NOT dismissing cats and dogs though!;-)