Options

Cheeky Rafiki - Atlantic Search - Is the US Coastguard being cheap?

RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can't see another thread for this.

In view of the millions spent on MH370, couldn't the US Coastguard show willing for a few more days (week or so)?

There is a high chance they are in the hull or a liferaft.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27486648

Tony Bullimore survived his experience
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/10841417/Missing-British-yachtsmen-could-survive-for-months-says-Tony-Bullimore.html

Comments

• Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like they are being incredibly negligent.

I guarantee if it was 4 wealthy Americans, they would still be looking
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be hell for the families waiting on news and indeed for these 4 men if they are waiting and praying on help arriving.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure how long people can survive in that particular area of the ocean or what the conditions are like, but it certainly seems very odd they found some promising wreckage and did not even bother to take a proper look at it.

Surely the crew had a lifeboat and may be stranded at sea?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    It seems strange that two locator beacons were activated one after the other and yet they won't continue the search. They were all experienced yachtsmen and those beacons being activated means that they were alive at some point after they called to say the yacht was taking on water and could still be alive. The life raft has provisions for several days.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member

Yeah, me too. FFS get out there and have a good look round whilst the weather has improved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    172,000+ now. 27,000+ still to go top right or the .org petition page.

I suppose that triggers William Hague to do more.

(Maybe a nice headed letter from Westminster saying "Sorry for your loss")

I've half a mind to get an addy for the US Embassy and post it as well.
    Will that get me life in SuperMax?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there was any possibility they made it into a life raft then I'm amazed they called of the search so soon.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I have signed the petition too,America are negligent in abandoning the search so soon, if they got in the life raft, which I suspect they would have done, then they have water and food for a few days, imagine when that runs out, they will be left to die a horrible death because the Americans wont look for them
    I also agree that if these were Americans they would be out looking of them and find them and bring them home as heroes and make a film out of it, but they are just foreigners arent they??:(
  • Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Signed it as well. Thanks for the links guys.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't either but there have been times when yachtsmen have survived longer than a couple of days at sea(Tony Bullimore). To give up after two days is terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are sympathetic to this horrible situation, please post the link on your Facebook page or Twitter feed. I can't believe many would not be sympathetic. Please take less than a minute to sign the petition and post your friends.

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uscg-restart-the-search-for-the-missing-cheekirafiki-crew-dontstopsearching

I feel strongly about this.

I live in the South West, in a coastal town. We know people who die at sea, and we also know the lucky escapes and miracle stories. Last year, someone I knew was drowned. Not a friend, but I knew him and some of his friends.
    He had friends and family and they were deeply affected, of course.

The four are from Somerset, Southampton and Surrey and connections to Plymouth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27473507
  • Options
    Forum Member
    when I signed that petition at 1.35 it needed just over 23000 signatures that has gone down to under 14000 in an hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't refresh properly for me, because I signed and it has logged my cookies.

Tried opening in other browsers with intermittent results.

Anyway, local news says William Hague is meeting with the families this afternoon.
    Hope he doesn't spout platitudes.

The search must go on.

Edit: Apparently a load of private yachts are going to search. But may take a while to get to the area.

Why didn't that container ship stop and inspect the hull? Are they forbidden?
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member

Why didn't that container ship stop and inspect the hull? Are they forbidden?

I think it takes a lot to stop a container ship, it could go quite a long distance before it came to a stop. But the siting should be investigated now they've reported it.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 days doesn't seem anywhere near long enough knowing how long people can survive :(.
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're resuming the search. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27492026
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what else the coastguard could have done. They spent over 2 days looking, in poor weather conditions, and found nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Good these are experienced sailors who know what to do in situations like this they weren't just people who had bought a yacht done a couple of hours sailing and decided to go off sailing round the world or something. The fact that after the first locator beacon ran out they set off another one shows that they knew what they were doing and were still alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Huzzah and Hooray! Well done BB.

Even if if the worst is confirmed, it's better than just shrugging shoulders.

The Best of course would be a miracle.

From what I've seen, the families are strong and sensible. My thoughts are with them.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No US citizens involved so they're not bothered.

It's a good friendly relationship they have with the UK!!!:confused:
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    elliecat wrote: »
    I don't either but there have been times when yachtsmen have survived longer than a couple of days at sea(Tony Bullimore). To give up after two days is terrible.

The survival time, even in a liferaft, is heavily dependent on the water temperature. Even in water as warm as 15C, survival time is often no more than six hours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27491350
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brutal thoughts. But wouldn't it be better to at least find a liferaft, with four bodies and some final messages to their loved ones?

A la Kursk.

A la Scott.

Or don't write off somehow surviving just yet. (keeping warn and candy bars). I know it's a shot in the dark.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Thing that annoyed me was that the yanks started searching on Thursday (IIRC), on Monday they said they'd given up and only then did anybody really take notice of the situation.
    Seems like a British naval ship could've scooted across there over the weekend and been on-station, ready to take up the search regardless of whether the yanks were inclined to continue or not.

The news reports said that one EPIRB was triggered and ran until the batteries went flat and then another one was triggered, which certainly suggests there's somebody out there who survived the initial incident, hoping to be rescued, so it's good news that the search has been resumed.
  • Options
    MichaelJMansonMichaelJManson Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Typical behaviour from America, which has always been a selfish and inward looking nation. The US establishment never bother their backsides to help others unless it serves to help them in some way as well.

It was the same during WW1 (when they didn't bother helping until their own interests were being threatened) and WW2 (only getting involved once Pearl Harbour had been attacked).

Disgraceful behaviour. >:(