Options

Mankind advert domestic abuse towards men

HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3PgH86OyEM
This is intresting but doesn't alarm me to be honest. I think the main difference is that most people see that women when abused by men are powerless physically to defend themselves where as are men are simply emotionally powerless and could if they wanted to physically defend themselves.

I did look don't think anyone has posted this.

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just waiting for some woman to abuse me
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »
    This is intresting but doesn't alarm me to be honest. I think the main difference is that most people see that women when abused by men are powerless physically to defend themselves where as are men are simply emotionally powerless and could if they wanted to physically defend themselves.

Was going to post this but it os so sad that people fail to realise men can get abuse. The reactions from the public does not surprise me but does depress me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patriarchy effects men too remember.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I'm just waiting for some woman to abuse me

Why? :confused:
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

abused sexually
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    Was going to post this but it os so sad that people fail to realise men can get abuse. The reactions from the public does not surprise me but does depress me.
    It does make me sad too and it's worrying.

People don't also realise that same sex relationships can have domestic abuse too. That's also undereported. Well all types of abusers are :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    abused sexually

If he wants it to happen, it isn't abuse.

Or is this some joke I'm not getting?
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    If he wants it to happen, it isn't abuse.

Or is this some joke I'm not getting?

The second one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    AOTB wrote: »
    The second one.

So the joke is, he wants some woman to abuse him sexually?

Well, that sounds hilarious, maybe you and him should tour the club circuit with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well, that sounds hilarious, maybe you and him should tour the club circuit with it.

Ok, er yeah, maybe...

*Backs slowly away from thread*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok, er yeah, maybe...

*Backs slowly away from thread*

Yeah, leave this one to the adults.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    It is interesting that almost half of domestic violence is the woman abusing the man. An awful lot of people dont know that.
    Has this ad gone out on tv?
    I could see the feminist lobby not being happy with it and fighting that.
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Shocking but not surprising.

The problem seems that we always focus on Men hitting women or Women hitting men. When in fact a human being hitting another human being is what we should be promoting as being unacceptable.

At this time in our civilisation as a society we seem very confused as to where Equality starts and men and women's actual differences begin.

Although it is wrong for a woman to hit a man I could just never ever imagine someone going up to the abusive woman and confronting her the way they did the man.

Very strange dilemma indeed.
    Is it down to genetics.
    Caveman/woman instincts.
    The media.
    what are the reasons it is acceptable for a woman to strike a man ?

Even in my own mind even though I am aware of how wrong it is.
    I find it more uncomfortable watching a man physically abuse a woman.
    How messed up is that.
  • Options
    BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    When it’s the female on male violence, people aren’t just not getting involved; they’re actually smiling. I think there’s a slight jocularity attached to “the hen-pecked husband.” I know quite a few men who call their wife “the boss” and make jokes about having to get permission from their wives to do things. I don’t know if the people who are smiling are just seeing this as an extension of the bossy woman stereotype. I personally found that one more upsetting and I don’t know if it was because the male actor was better at sounding really distressed by it all, or if it was because of people’s lack of reaction to it.
    I do wonder if there’s an element of people not wanting to emasculate the man by intervening.

Very strange dilemma indeed.
    Is it down to genetics.
    Caveman/woman instincts.
    The media.
    what are the reasons it is acceptable for a woman to strike a man ?

Even in my own mind even though I am aware of how wrong it is.
    I find it more uncomfortable watching a man physically abuse a woman.
    How messed up is that.

I remember watching Corrie years ago when Mike Baldwin had just discovered Linda had been sleeping with his son and he slapped her and I remember being quite shocked. The number of times that a woman slapped a cheating spouse though and it didn’t bother me at all. I can't justify it logically but I assume it's social conditioning.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second one.

maybe you two should do a double act there. How do you think Little & Large got started? Or how about a sitcom with an unreconstructed northern comic flat-sharing with a humorlessly po-faced lesbian.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    It's not really surprising to see the different reactions. People see women hitting men as "funny" because they don't think a woman can really physically hurt a man. Or maybe they think the man usually deserves that kind of reaction (i.e. "I bet the filthy bugger was cheating!")
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurlley wrote: »

The reaction from the passers by was disgusting. Those laughing are moronic cretins who must have left their brains at home. They wouldn't have been laughing if I was there. There seems to be this ridiculous way of thinking that only women can be abused and not men. Absolutely amazing that no one even asked why she was attacking him for.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member

If we're playing that game, less confrontation and more patience please. Aggressive tone reinforces resistance to changing one's mind, it's counter productive.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,517
    Forum Member
    It's depressing, though not surprising.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is interesting that almost half of domestic violence is the woman abusing the man. An awful lot of people dont know that.
    Has this ad gone out on tv?

What a stupid thing to say >:(

I'm a feminist so presumably part of this 'lobby'......err with a brother in an abusive relationship so of course I am going to 'fight' an ad that promotes that it is just as unacceptable to be violent to men????:confused:

Any opportunity to turn this into a gender war eh?
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    What a stupid thing to say >:(

I'm a feminist so presumably part of this 'lobby'......err with a brother in an abusive relationship so of course I am going to 'fight' an ad that promotes that it is just as unacceptable to be violent to men????:confused:

Any opportunity to turn this into a gender war eh?

You beat me to it, I was about to comment the same
  • Options
    Forum Member
    maybe you two should do a double act there. How do you think Little & Large got started? Or how about a sitcom with an unreconstructed northern comic flat-sharing with a humorlessly po-faced lesbian.

Look, enough already with posters suggesting I form some kind of bizarre comedy double act.

A bit like Bobby Davro, I'm a one man show. :cool:
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The adults all got the joke, I thought.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes me wonder what would have happened if, towards the end of the second part, the man had hit back to defend himself ?

I suspect we'd have seen everyone pile in again and get involved.

Shocking video, but, as has been said, not surprising. Violence is wrong full stop, regardless of who starts it.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

...what the?