Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Breakfast would go up but so too would Good Morning Britain, because you'd be getting people who wouldn't watch Breakfast because they think it's boring. Especially if Breakfast was also reporting on a big political story or something.

But those viewers tend to disappear as they are no longer stuck indoors when the weather improves.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Maybe not, but he was the majority cause and I think if the boot was on the other foot some on here wouldn't feel quite so supportive of him if he was slagging off the BEEB 24/7.

Thats is another problem on here though - if you post something thats not completely critical of a certain poster you are deemed a supporter which in my case is certainly not true.
    I can see the problems from other peoples point of view but as I have always said people are too sensitive IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    That's an average of 13.26m (56.6%), incredible numbers. Rating of the tournament for me.

Mike please don't go!!
    That's a great match average for Brazil v Germany.
    :o:o:o Those are some astonishing numbers last night!

The Final could pull in some real numbers on Sunday.

I think the final will get over 10m combined on BBC1 and ITV. Not sure it can top Brazil v Germany though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe not, but he was the majority cause and I think if the boot was on the other foot some on here wouldn't feel quite so supportive of him if he was slagging off the BEEB 24/7.

I imagine last nights rating ploughed through everything else last night.

Some people are just too sensitive and let it get to them. I only lost my temper here once because somebody was rude to me. Slate a channel or a programme and I don't care unless I worked for the channel or on the programme.
  • Options
    lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    That's a great match average for Brazil v Germany.

I think the final will get over 10m combined on BBC1 and ITV. Not sure it can top Brazil v Germany though.

Here's how the 2010 final between Spain v Netherlands rated (from the thread archive):
    BBC1 [inc HD]
    18:30 World Cup Final full coverage - 12.7m 
    * match average: 15.1m (54%)
    *peak: 17.9m (60%) at 9:55pm

ITV1 [inc HD]
    18:30 World Cup Final full coverage - 2.8m 
    * match average: 3.3m (12%)
    * peak: 3.8m (13%) at 10:00pm

Combined [inc HD]
    18:30 World Cup Final full coverage - 15.5m
    * match average: 18.4m (66%)
    * peak: 21.77m (73%)

I think we could see figures very similar to four years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's how the 2010 final between Spain v Netherlands rated (from the thread archive):
    BBC1 [inc HD]

ITV1 [inc HD]

Combined [inc HD]

Wow! That was bigger than I remembered. Must be on for a rating close to this for the final.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was a very good rating for the match last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With the football dominating last night both EE and ED just plodded on unspectacularly.
    How much will being on BBC2 during the Commonwealth Games depress the EE rating do we think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC1 [inc HD]

ITV1 [inc HD]

Combined [inc HD]

Thats very poor for ITV - and for no discernable reason really.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A blow for ITV with Chris Froome out of the Tour De France, the BBC on the other hand will be praying for a good Commonwealth games or Hamilton to win the F1 championship otherwise SPOTY is going to be utterly pointless.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Thats very poor for ITV - and for no discernable reason really.

It is poor, but advert free channel v commercial channel is a no brainer really if you don't like adverts, and more recently people seem to have less patience with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A blow for ITV with Chris Froome out of the Tour De France, the BBC on the other hand will be praying for a good Commonwealth games or Hamilton to win the F1 championship otherwise SPOTY is going to be utterly pointless.

A shame, but I suspect it will still do ok for the channel. Looks less like it will be on ITV for the final now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Thats is another problem on here though - if you post something thats not completely critical of a certain poster you are deemed a supporter which in my case is certainly not true.
    I can see the problems from other peoples point of view but as I have always said people are too sensitive IMO.

Sometimes you can only take so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is poor, but advert free channel v commercial channel is a no brainer really if you don't like adverts, and more recently people seem to have less patience with them.

It's not as if adverts interrupt the match though.... Well not often anyway. :blush::p
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KarlHyde wrote: »
    The all-time top 10 list of German ratings now consists of 9 football matches and yesterday's news bulletin at half time. ;-)

http://meedia.de/2014/07/09/neuer-deutscher-tv-rekord-3257-mio-sahen-die-71-wm-sensation/

But interestingly, the 1990 World Cup final had a marginally higher market share (87.9%). The official number of viewers was 28.66m back then but thas was West-Germany only (61m inhabitants, as opposed to 81m in today's united Germany).

Incredible numbers for ZDF. I think the heavy rain might have driven those numbers up slightly, as it probably put people off going to public viewings and watching at home instead.

A whopping total of 80.03m watched Germany's demolition of Brazil in Europe's Top 6 Markets last night (a mix of programme and match averages).

UK - 11.52m (51.0%)
    Germany - 32.57m (87.8%)
    France - 10.60m (50.7%)
    Spain - 8.87m (49.2%)
    Italy - 10.65m (45.4%)
    Holland - 5.82m (74.5%)

As KarlHyde has said, the main news bulletin (heute journal) scored 31.79m (84.5%) at halftime. Even that beat the previous high ratings record in Germany which was the 2010 SF match vs Spain (31.10m). The big question is, will the final on Sunday beat it?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you can only take so much.

I think you are slightly over reacting to comments about ITV. You seem to take any criticism personally as if it's a direct attack on you. It isn't. What can't you take? It is rather baffling that some do get so worked up over TV criticism. When a poster annoys me, including he who shall not be named, I express my reasons for annoyance to that poster and move on. Once I realise the poster is deliberately winding me up i don't respond to him/her anymore. I certainly don't get airated and stressed over what is, in reality, an entertaining discussion board about TV. It isn't as if someone on here has taken all your money!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I think you are slightly over reacting to comments about ITV. You seem to take any criticism personally as if it's a direct attack on you. It isn't. What can't you take? It is rather baffling that some do get so worked up over TV criticism. When a poster annoys me, including he who shall not be named, I express my reasons for annoyance to that poster and move on. Once I realise the poster is deliberately winding me up i don't respond to him/her anymore. I certainly don't get airated and stressed over what is, in reality, an entertaining discussion board about TV. It isn't as if someone on here has taken all your money!

If everyone ignored him it would be fine, but they don't they quote him so often this page if filled with his posts. I don't take any comments personally, I'm like any other poster on here who defends their 'favoured' channel to a point. I think its more baffling how someone can hate a channel so much, but there you go.

BIB A matter of opinion. I want this thread to be a debating thread, not a 'find as many faults with one channel as possible and constantly wind up people'. You an't have a discussion with someone who's so blinded. This thread has been nice today.

Anyway we're getting off the main topic. I wonder how the match will do today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Two to adapt Sharpe creator Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583058/bbc-two-to-adapt-sharpe-creator-bernard-cornwells-the-last-kingdom.html#~oJxcz99TyinFGy#ixzz36zL6nhEx
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

This looks like another good BBC2 drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Two to adapt Sharpe creator Bernard Cornwell's The Last Kingdom

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583058/bbc-two-to-adapt-sharpe-creator-bernard-cornwells-the-last-kingdom.html#~oJxcz99TyinFGy#ixzz36zL6nhEx
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

This looks like another good BBC2 drama.

A coproduction with BBC America and Downton producers; Carnival Films, an 8 x 60 mins commission.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/09/bbc-america-greenlights-new-drama-series-the-last-kingdom/280967/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

Sounds very ambitious, looking forward to it.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    9.00 - 11.23m 48.1%
    9.05 - 12.13m 50.2%
    9.10 - 12.61m 52.2%
    9.15 - 12.99m 53.1%
    9.20 - 13.13m 52.5%
    9.25 - 13.49m 53.8%
    9.30 - 13.74m 55.2%
    9.35 - 13.73m 54.4%
    9.40 - 13.87m 54.9%
    9.45 - 13.83m 55.4%
    9.50 - 13.34m 53.5%
    9.55 - 13.28m 53.9%
    10.00 - 13.98m 57.8%
    10.05 - 13.67m 57.5%
    10.10 - 13.79m 59.2%
    10.15 - 13.90m 59.5%
    10.20 - 13.64m 58.8%
    10.25 - 13.67m 60.0%
    10.30 - 13.71m 61.0%
    10.35 - 13.64m 61.1%
    10.40 - 13.82m 63.3%
    10.45 - 13.87m 64.5%
    10.50 - 12.60m 61.6%
    10.55 - 10.59m 57.4%

Firstly - many thanks ronant. :)

Just to comment on this again, I am absolutely shocked at how stable it was! :o Not once did the match drop below 13 million, even beyond 10:30 which is astonishing. I imagine it breached 14 million as a one minute peak at 10:00.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It would cap an annus horribilis for British sport if the pointless SPOTY was taking place in a part of the Kingdom that had by then voted to secede!
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not as if adverts interrupt the match though.... Well not often anyway. :blush::p

Most people will turn the tv on, watch the whole thing and then turn it off though, there won't be people changing channels between punditry and match or muting the TV and putting five live on, or any of the other nonsense that the few people on forums say they do.

If the match is on BBC1 and with no adverts and with big names like Lineker, Hansen, Shearer etc, why would you pass by it to watch on ITV.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If everyone ignored him it would be fine, but they don't they quote him so often this page if filled with his posts. I don't take any comments personally, I'm like any other poster on here who defends their 'favoured' channel to a point. I think its more baffling how someone can hate a channel so much, but there you go.

BIB A matter of opinion. I want this thread to be a debating thread, not a 'find as many faults with one channel as possible and constantly wind up people'. You an't have a discussion with someone who's so blinded. This thread has been nice today.

Anyway we're getting off the main topic. I wonder how the match will do today?

If it's some 0-0 grueller that goes to extra time, expect about 8 million as it's still a big game, but should it be goalless, a lot of the casual fans will switch over. Last night was probably a freak event, but is in the ratings top three for this year so far.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Breakfast would go up but so too would Good Morning Britain, because you'd be getting people who wouldn't watch Breakfast because they think it's boring. Especially if Breakfast was also reporting on a big political story or something.

Good point Steve. However morbid, the death of a celebrity would distinguish it from Breakfast. It also ticks the celeb focus GMB has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    If it's some 0-0 grueller that goes to extra time, expect about 8 million as it's still a big game, but should it be goalless, a lot of the casual fans will switch over. Last night was probably a freak event, but is in the ratings top three for this year so far.

Before the score went crazy 11m were there at the start of Brazil v Germany. Where would that have placed it in the most watched programmes of the year?
This discussion has been closed.