What are the advantages of aluminum windows

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I cant abide upvc windows but suspect I dont have the pockets for solid wood windows which will require extra looking after.

I would like windows which are black framed on the outside and white on the inside and I prefer to keep wooden sills inside and the tile sills outside.

So I keep coming across aluminum windows which say they can do this but also come in about 200 different colours!

Has anyone chosen this type over upvc and if so what are they like?

Comments

• SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people choose UPVC over owt else as they are both economical and very good thermal performance. They look awful, IMO.

Aluminium, being a metal of course, is not good thermally so the frame design has to thermally "broken" so heat cannot transfer from inside to outside, which costs more to manufacture. You can have much smaller section frames in Alu though, and to quote Pink Floyd, Any Colour You Like. The frames are stronger so you can have large expanses of glass, which is why they are used in modern architecture buildings, and require no maintenance other than cleaning. They won't corrode.

You can get composite frames, if you like, with powder coated Alu outside and clear coated timbers inside.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen some amazingly good ones abroad, when I have to look into changing my windows I will seriously check them out.
  • dan_blamiresdan_blamires Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen some amazingly good ones abroad, when I have to look into changing my windows I will seriously check them out.

Why would you need to change your windows?
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,067
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    I cant abide upvc windows but suspect I dont have the pockets for solid wood windows which will require extra looking after.

I would like windows which are black framed on the outside and white on the inside and I prefer to keep wooden sills inside and the tile sills outside.

So I keep coming across aluminum windows which say they can do this but also come in about 200 different colours!

We spell it aluminium in the UK.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you need to change your windows?

As they are old now and need an upgrade.
  • Charlie_the_catCharlie_the_cat Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another hypothetical thread about the hypothetical house?
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Most people choose UPVC over owt else as they are both economical and very good thermal performance. They look awful, IMO.

Aluminium, being a metal of course, is not good thermally so the frame design has to thermally "broken" so heat cannot transfer from inside to outside, which costs more to manufacture. You can have much smaller section frames in Alu though, and to quote Pink Floyd, Any Colour You Like. The frames are stronger so you can have large expanses of glass, which is why they are used in modern architecture buildings, and require no maintenance other than cleaning. They won't corrode.

You can get composite frames, if you like, with powder coated Alu outside and clear coated timbers inside.

Thanks, I have been trying to find companies that do composite, but dont really understand what is meant by composite other than front doors I have seen on people's houses (which look very good). Do they do window frames in exactly the same sort of thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    We spell it aluminium in the UK.

I thought we did but it underlined it in red so I changed it. Its not a word I find myself writing a huge amount!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another hypothetical thread about the hypothetical house?

A real house but until it goes through its never anything but hypothetical! We have been round a few times in the road and the last time I thought that the house next door looked as if it had had its front door kicked at around the handle. It has made me get even more cold feet than I already have so there is a bit of doubt.

We dont know whether to ask for a second viewing as even questions I was asking the EA about practical issues which I need to plan for, seemed to make him think we were having doubts about whether we wanted it. I find that really odd as if you're not allowed to ask questions about something you're paying a huge amount of money for.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought we did but it underlined it in red so I changed it. Its not a word I find myself writing a huge amount!

Presumably you are using a US dictionary. It is usually easy enough to change to a UK one, if you post what you are using then you will probably get help with this.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Presumably you are using a US dictionary. It is usually easy enough to change to a UK one, if you post what you are using then you will probably get help with this.

(How do you turn on the spell-checker (US or UK)?)
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant abide upvc windows but suspect I dont have the pockets for solid wood windows which will require extra looking after...?
    Wooden windows would be cheaper than aluminium to install and typically require repainting only every 7 years. I know zero / low maintenance is probably desirable but you should also consider how long you plan to stay in the property.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    (How do you turn on the spell-checker (US or UK)?)

Depends what browser you are using.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have aluminium windows with a hardwood surround and we are in the process of changing to UPVC. The UPVC look nicer and the insulating properties are better. The seals have broken down in the existing windows and there is a great deal of mildew on the inner frames. All the neighbours have UPVC so our house will match the others.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP.....as a comparison i have an aluminium framed Conservatory. Cost 'silly money' and turned into a nightmare. You may hate UPVC (most of us do!) but it's more economical than aluminium, way more thermal efficient and easy to install (aluminium isn't as it doesn't 'flex' so has to be precision cut).

A good test.....during the winter months the framework of my conservatory is freezing cold to touch on the inside.....yet the Kitchen window just a few feet away which is UPVC is just cool to touch....on the outside!

Think very very carefully before going ahead with aluminium windows. Personally i wouldn't even entertain the idea.

BTW you do know you don't have to have white UPVC don't you? A friend of mine had brown UPVC fitted because they don't like white. Each to their own but i don't like the brown ones!
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had aluminium frames and they were horrible they got like a bumpiness to them after a while, and looked tarnished and very dull. Same as the greenhouse. :D

I would not read too much into a "kicked" in door could be a number of reasons and nothing bad about the neighbourhood
  • CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

Perhaps consider Coloured uPVC Windows
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    OP.....as a comparison i have an aluminium framed Conservatory. Cost 'silly money' and turned into a nightmare. You may hate UPVC (most of us do!) but it's more economical than aluminium, way more thermal efficient and easy to install (aluminium isn't as it doesn't 'flex' so has to be precision cut).

A good test.....during the winter months the framework of my conservatory is freezing cold to touch on the inside.....yet the Kitchen window just a few feet away which is UPVC is just cool to touch....on the outside!

Think very very carefully before going ahead with aluminium windows. Personally i wouldn't even entertain the idea.

BTW you do know you don't have to have white UPVC don't you? A friend of mine had brown UPVC fitted because they don't like white. Each to their own but i don't like the brown ones
    !

BIB -And of course you could have them brown on the outside and white on the inside if that would better suit your colour scheme
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know you dont have to have white, but the browns and rosewoods are even worse. I just hate the pasticky look.

However, this is all pie in the sky at the moment especially as I have arrived home to find the sellers property information sent by our solictor, mentions that there was a claim for subsidence in 2006. I dont know what to think about this now. The house needs a lot of work anyway as it is. A quick search on gocompare with the declaration that the house has suffered in the past from subsidence, brings up on ONE insurer and the quote is £410 per year. It doesnt help that although the property is on a hill and cant be flooded, it is within 150mtrs of a stream so that cuts out other insurers too.

The things we knew about were condemed back boiler, rewiring, single glazed wooden windows, lumps of render fallen off side of house, new kitchen and bathroom needed and general tidying up. Porch needs rebuilding too. There may be issues with the roof also as there was some evidence of water damage in one of the bedrooms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I had aluminium double-glaziing installed throughout the house by Anglian some 20 years ago.

The rear of my house faces south-east and therefore is subjected to full sun for most of the day.

Three years ago I noticed that the frames in both upstairs windows had warped due to heat intensity over time.

I replaced them with UPVC with internal steel bracing throughout each window.
  • Shaun_DaviesShaun_Davies Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I work for a upvc window profile company ,Rehau,they make loads of different coloured laminated windows that look really good
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have some upvc windows that are a dark woodgrain effect. I know that some can look rather tacky, but I just happened to see some in a local house and was so impressed that I had to knock on the door to ask where they got them from.

And now I can't remember :D The point is though, that it is possible to get some textured woodgrain-effect ones that look much better than the plain white ones - well at least in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I would not recommend using aluminium for windows framing – large patio doors is a separate issue as at thin framing it has more rigidity and stability while timber can deflect on thin profiles,
    There are some cases where aluminium do not work, I have not came across proper technology to imitate traditional sash window.
    Timber sash windows have few advantages. Improve living conditions as it has been proven that due to its natural insulation and carbon storage capacity creates much healthier living environment then aluminium or PVC.
    It is also ecological friendly, it is completely renewable material and can be easily reused.
    Wood effect is also a different issue, stained timber cannot be match in aluminium profiles.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recently bought a neglected (unlisted) 1750s cottage. The wood sash windows were rotted and beyond repair and wood replacements were beyond my budget. Not forgetting the maintenance costs as well. So it had to be UPVC but UPVC sash were very chunky in comparison to my orginal windows. So I went for side opening casement in a sort of grained pine wood effect./colour They are as close as I can get to a replica of the original - you would think each window is 4 panes and they look fabulous. Everyone thinks they are wood and the next question is where I got them.
    I would draw the line at a UPVC door though. I have a wonky ill fitting ancient wood cottage door that should look beautiful once restored and the new windows look so in keeping - it won't look out of place.
    Aluminium looks awful imo.
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aluminium Windows will are cold in winter, and so are prone to get condensation on the frames
    With the choice of other better materials these days, why would you want them?