Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Dr Hannibal Lecter - best portrayal

View Poll Results: Who played the best Hannibal Lecter?
Brian Cox 14 29.79%
Sir Anthony Hopkins 24 51.06%
Gaspard Ulliel 0 0%
Mads Mikkelsen 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You can't vote on this poll right now - are you signed in?

Old 16-07-2014, 10:02
laurence1870
Forum Member

Made a similar post for the Joker yesterday, but this time here's a poll to vote on.
laurence1870 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-07-2014, 13:19
Matt D
Forum Member

Mikkelsen.

I love Hopkins' portrayal, and was not expecting Mikkelsen to be anywhere near as good when I first heard of the TV series, but he turned out to be bloody brilliant.
Matt D is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 16:02
Parthenon
Forum Member

Big fan of the TV show but it's Sir Anthony for me.
Parthenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 16:09
JasonWatkins
Forum Member

I'd have to watch Manhunter again just to give a properly definitive answer but for me, Mads Mikkelsen is Lecter. He's far better than Hopkins' pantomime version and far more believable.
JasonWatkins is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 17:02
dodrade
Forum Member

A lot of revisionism about Brian Cox in Manhunter, he's only a supporting character in it and the film only received attention after the success of silence of the lambs, but it's a lot better than Red Dragon.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 17:23
degsyhufc
Forum Member

Mikkelsen.

I love Hopkins' portrayal, and was not expecting Mikkelsen to be anywhere near as good when I first heard of the TV series, but he turned out to be bloody brilliant.
I'd have to watch Manhunter again just to give a properly definitive answer but for me, Mads Mikkelsen is Lecter. He's far better than Hopkins' pantomime version and far more believable.
Isn't it similar arguments to the Joker poll.

Nicholson and Ledger were very different portrayals of the same character so hard to judge in a head to head comparison without taking the themes of the films into account.

Mikkleson has had two series to develop the character - plus from a different point of view to the films.
degsyhufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 20:54
Irma Bunt
Forum Member

Brian Cox. No question for me.
Irma Bunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:33
The War Doctor
Forum Member

Anthony Hopkins. The guy from the TV show, Mads Mikkelsen, is good too, but Anthony Hopkins is my favourite.
The War Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 09:39
Takae
Forum Member

I chose Cox because I felt Hopkins's take was too hammy for my taste and I haven't seen the other two.
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 13:24
Johnny Clay
Forum Member

Cox for me as well (shall I rephrase that?).

Never liked Hopkins in 'Lambs, but admittedly he had some fun with the role in Hannibal, a bizarre and trashy oddity. Bet he got a fair wage for it an' all.
Johnny Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 14:18
Trsvis_Bickle
Forum Member

A lot of revisionism about Brian Cox in Manhunter, he's only a supporting character in it and the film only received attention after the success of silence of the lambs, but it's a lot better than Red Dragon.
I think there's a fair bit of that in relation to Hopkins. These days, the cool kids are all saying that he was a pantomime villain. I don't recall anyone saying anything of the kind at the time the film was released and the Academy clearly didn't think so either.
Trsvis_Bickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 15:46
Gort
Forum Member

I think there's a fair bit of that in relation to Hopkins. These days, the cool kids are all saying that he was a pantomime villain. I don't recall anyone saying anything of the kind at the time the film was released and the Academy clearly didn't think so either.
I remember saying when the film came out that Hopkins was cartoonish in the role. To me, the understated Brian Cox performance was more fitting to the character.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 16:10
be more pacific
Forum Member

Anthony Hopkins' portrayal has suffered from becoming a cultural icon. It is almost impossible to view The Silence of the Lambs in isolation from all the cultural baggage of endless homages and parodies.

The same goes for Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates and Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance.
be more pacific is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 17:39
Takae
Forum Member

Manhunter received attention because of Heat. It didn't get much if any attention during the release of Silence of the Lambs, mostly because Manhunter still wasn't available on VHS. I think it was finally available on VHS when Heat was released at cinema.

Some British film geeks, on the other hand, was aware of it before SOTL because of Alex Cox. The nearest we could get to see the film was when it appeared in Cox's Moviedrome on BBC 2.

The majority loved Gravity, but as we've seen from here, there were some who didn't. So it stands to reason that SOTL would have its share of dissent voices during its theatrical release as well.

Either way, there's no denying that Hopkins's portrayal left an impact on British pop culture. French and Saunders's parody, anyone?
Takae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2014, 23:02
NoseyLouie
Forum Member

I loved Anthony Hopkins as Lecter, it was an exaggerated turn but worked for me and Brian Cox was quite chilling. Haven't seen the tv adaptation. When I read the books Dr Hannibal Lecter did come across as quite a charismatic persona or is it just me? So a bit of 'pantomime' was fine
NoseyLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 01:35
dodrade
Forum Member

I think that's partly true but he still had real menace (despite relatively little screen time), whereas by Hannibal and Red Dragon his performance had become pure ham.
dodrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 09:04
ironjade
Forum Member

He only has a few scenes but with HL less is definitely more. What you imagine about Lecter is far worse than you ever see (until the TV series anyway) and seeing him actually killing people just seems crass.
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 13:24
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

Brian Cox for me. He gave a subtle and restrained performance which made him all the more sinister. Hopkins was borderline Vincent Price a lot of the time.
Eddie Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 14:23
pearlsandplums
Forum Member

mads definitely. he is just fantastic in the role, and bizarrely theres something very sexy about his portrayal
pearlsandplums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 14:40
necromancer20
Forum Member

Poor Gaspard Ulliel

Anthony Hopkins for me (though I've only seen him and Cox as Hannibal).
necromancer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 19:00
revolver44
Forum Member

Mikkelsen, Cox, Hopkins and then that other dufus who was appalling.

Mikkelsen is just perfect, the right amount of charm & threat.
Cox was completely intimidating and more a physical threat than a psychological one.
Hopkins was great but a little too theatrical.
revolver44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 09:45
Heston Veston
Forum Member

Brian Cox just edges it over Hopkins for me. The "smell yourself" line delivered to a fast-de[parting Will Graham, and his slack-jawed menacing gaze - here's a man who you believe would do you serious damage. Whereas Hopkins' face-chewing antics come across a bit unconvincing. Better to have left a bit more to the imagination. The scenes where we see the aftermath of Lecter's work - as in the victims' bedroom in 'Manhunter' - or Jodie Foster's horrified reaction to the photos of Lecter's handiwork, are more effective.
Heston Veston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 10:49
tombigbee
Forum Member

I find Mads' Lecter more nightmarishly intelligent, threatening, complex and interesting. Obviously having the most screen time out of any of them can't hurt.
tombigbee is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 12:23
The Martian
Forum Member

I find Mads' Lecter more nightmarishly intelligent, threatening, complex and interesting. Obviously having the most screen time out of any of them can't hurt.
Agreed. He also has a sinister look about him. He looked like a badass psycho in the movie, Valhalla Rising.
The Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2014, 20:30
ironjade
Forum Member

Brian Cox just edges it over Hopkins for me. The "smell yourself" line delivered to a fast-de[parting Will Graham, and his slack-jawed menacing gaze - here's a man who you believe would do you serious damage. Whereas Hopkins' face-chewing antics come across a bit unconvincing. Better to have left a bit more to the imagination. The scenes where we see the aftermath of Lecter's work - as in the victims' bedroom in 'Manhunter' - or Jodie Foster's horrified reaction to the photos of Lecter's handiwork, are more effective.
"Dream much, Will?"
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote