Options

Should Kate Bush remove Rolf Harris from her albums.

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
Some Kate Bush fans are demanding that she removes 3 songs on her albums that feature Rolf Harris. One called The Dreaming only features him playing the Digeridoo and two others off her album Ariel have him narrating parts in the songs.

According to some fans the tracks have been tainted and should therefore be removed from any further releases of the albums.

This is nonsense you cannot change what happened in the past. I own many Judas Priest albums and still listen to them. Inspite of the fact that the drummer on many of the 80s ones was convicted of a sexual offence against a Teenager.

I mean you could remove Rolf's Digeridoo playing on The Dreaming and replace it with someone else. Though who would know it was not Rolf playing on it to the casual listener. is it like "oh a Digeridoo well it could be a pervert playing that still so ban it".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2707085/Kate-Bush-pressure-wipe-contributions-paedophile-Rolf-Harris-songs-fans-say-tracks-soiled.html

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Some Kate Bush fans are being ridiculous.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely not the albums have been recorded and released how was she to know he was a sexual deviant at the time.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Definitely not. The albums are products of their time, why remove anything from them?
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely not. In artistic terms you have to separate the the art from the artist and treat it on its own merits. It becomes more problematic of course if people stop buying the records because Rolf Harris is on them.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth would anyone have wanted him on their songs in the first place?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on earth would anyone have wanted him on their songs in the first place?!

He also played with The Beatles in the 60s. He was an expert on the didgeridoo and the wobble board, popularising their use in the UK. Rolf was a real renaissance man I'm afraid.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't rewrite history, same as someone I know who runs a glam rock site still includes Gary Glitter as he was such a big part of the scene, although he disowns him as a person, same as Radio Rewind includes Jimmy Savile as he was a DJ on Radio 1 for 20 years, although there is a disclaimer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    He also played with The Beatles in the 60s. He was an expert on the didgeridoo and the wobble board, popularising their use in the UK. Rolf was a real renaissance man I'm afraid.

At least they had the sense not to let him appear on any of their songs though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    You can't rewrite history, same as someone I know who runs a glam rock site still includes Gary Glitter as he was such a big part of the scene, although he disowns him as a person, same as Radio Rewind includes Jimmy Savile as he was a DJ on Radio 1 for 20 years, although there is a disclaimer.
    At least they had the sense not to let him appear on any of their songs though.

Hindsight is a great thing but you can't change history. I doubt whether The Beatles decision had anything to do with Harris's abusive behaviour.

Saville was a pioneer of live Djing in the UK. The only thing that ever bothered me about him was that although he was a Radio 1 DJ and TOTP presenter he never seemed all that interested in the music, the way Fluff Freeman or Johnny Walker was interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hindsight is a great thing but you can't change history. I doubt whether The Beatles decision had anything to do with Harris's abusive behaviour.

I wasn't suggesting it was, just that he isn't the calibre of musician or person I would expect to appear on a Beatles album.
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe remove his vocals from 'The Painter's Link', but there is absolutely no need to remove an instrumental.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't she performing Aerial and the concerts starting soon? This issue could come up again and she may feel she has to do a statement if the press harp on about it. Which they will as they like a good old stir (even though I agree with the comments above).

If she reworked or remastered Aerial she'd probably remove his vocals or re-record them. I don't know about repressing of the current physical stock though.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Saville was a pioneer of live Djing in the UK. The only thing that ever bothered me about him was that although he was a Radio 1 DJ and TOTP presenter he never seemed all that interested in the music, the way Fluff Freeman or Johnny Walker was interested.

He was a bit of a fraud, claiming to know Elvis, when he had never met him. Also his hypocritical banning of Je T Aime years after it was a hit on the Old Record Club was ridiculous.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    Isn't she performing Aerial and the concerts starting soon? This issue could come up again and she may feel she has to do a statement if the press harp on about it. Which they will as they like a good old stir (even though I agree with the comments above).

It's not as if he'll be making a guest appearance.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have these Kate Bush "fans" managed to come up with a suggestion on how to remove Rolf Harris from all the CDs already sold? :confused:

That is why the argument is so ridiculous.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I think it is really unfortunate what with him being on "Aerial" as well. "Aerial" was my favourite album of its decade. Now I don't know what to think about it, especially as Side 2 could be interpreted as being about a coming of age. It was interesting timing, I thought, that one of the main TV stations used "Sunset" a lot for the World Cup football.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    No she shouldn't.

I still listen to my Judas Priest albums that Dave Holland drums on.
    They are albums from arguably their most successful period.