Options

"After 40 you have the face you deserve".

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
Forum Member
✭✭
(Sometimes the age given is 50. Attributed to practically everyone, from Abraham Lincoln to Coco Chanel.)

That is a lie, isn't it? It's something you see quoted all the time. But it is still a lie.

Obviously you can screw your looks up if you drink a bottle of gin a day and sunburn yourself to the texture of weetabix. But basically, beautiful young women have a good chance of growing into beautiful older women. I think I really did used to believe this saying when I was young. I used to think that decades of smiling a lot and eating my sprouts would somehow even things up a bit, in some unspecified way: shrink my nose perhaps, shrink my jaw, take away the bags under my eyes. But no. :( I look just the same as I did 30 years ago, only 30 years older. And Audrey Hepburn at 50 looked like. http://www.brainpickings.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/taschenhepburn8.jpg

Boo. :cry: Perhaps I just wasn't deserving enough.

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always take that to mean how well you look after your skin. I'm in my mid 20s and am finding myself becoming aware I have no skin care routine at all. I'll moisturise if I feel I need to (which is probably way too late) and try my best to take my make up off before bed but really that is it! I am starting to worry if I don't start cleansing toning and moisturising twice a day I'm going to suddenly age loads.

Saying that, I massively prefer my face now to 10 years ago. I sort of grew into my features and put on weight so sort of look more balanced? Maybe I'll say the same thing again in a decade? :D Or more likely I'll be just wishing I'd started moisturising when I mentioned it on that thread 10 years ago...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not even sure that moisturising does much for all that you can pay over £100 for a pot and be promised all kinds of fairy dust. If your skin is dry, it will moisturise it, yes. But - and I have only just realized this - the thing that ages your skin from middle age on is what happens below the surface of the skin, when the collagen gets less firm. No moisturising cream on earth will lift up that depressing bit of cheek which is sinking gently below your jaw, or those eyelids that get less perky every year. "Fine lines" that may be smoothed by a moituriser are the least of your worries.

I mean, look at the pre-facelift Liz Jones: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1209850/thumbs/o-LIZ-JONES-570.jpg?6 She probably spent more on face creams that almost anyone else alive. But they still did nothing to hoik everything back into place, did they?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a bad b****r then!:D

Not that I'm claiming to be 40 or 50, I WISH!:cry:

It's the luck of the genes mainly?
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Christ, what did Joan Rivers do?...
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Christ, what did Joan Rivers do?...

murdered little pigs kittens then plastic surgeried to hide it...squashed barbie doll face at nearly 80..well it preserved her voice well..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

Lol, but yes, of course it is. As I said, there are any number of ways to bugger your looks up, but if god made you plain, (I don't mean you personally, you understand :blush:} you're just going to have to work on your personality instead.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The saying means that pretty much regardless of any genetic endowment in the looks department; by the time you're 50 your personality / character (ie how you react to life's vicissitudes) will have overriden what nature originally bequeathed you.

Your internalities will have manifested externally. Attractively or otherwise.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't have a LINE on my face at forty, smoker and drinker too, used to cheese my sister off a treat.

Looked pretty damned awesome for years after too.

I didn't deserve that at ALL.

Comeuppance has comeupped though, or maybe I look normal for early fifties, I don't bloody know.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »

Yep, I read somewhere recently that ageing of the skin at least is mainly in the genes. You can do all you can - moisturise, drink plenty of water, not smoke, eat well, and most importantly wear sunscreen (Baz Luhrman. He knew) - but the benefits are limited. It's usually a case of if your mum was getting a bit prune-like in her 30s or 40s chances are you will be too. If your mum was youthful looking into her 60s then good for you, I hate you. :D

The way I've aged in the last couple of years and looking at my mum, I'd say we're not blessed with an abundance of collagen in our pool. Oh well, we do have lovely manners. :-/
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (Sometimes the age given is 50. Attributed to practically everyone, from Abraham Lincoln to Coco Chanel.)

But basically, beautiful young women have a good chance of growing into beautiful older women.

Evidence?
    And I don't mean "Look at Joan Collins or Joanna Lumley"
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidence?

Rupert Murdoch? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evidence?

I was trying to avoid women who had obviously had a load of cosmetic surgery, which is why I chose a picture of Audrey Hepburn.

But faces judged beautiful are fairly standard, allowing for the fact that there are some individuals who break the rules and are still highly rated for quirky beauty. They can't break the rules that much though.

I mean here is Florence Colgate: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/20/article-2132896-127E2CCA000005DC-111_642x939.jpg - the 18 year old student picked by New Scientist a couple of years ago as having the perfect face. I can't imagine anyone denying that she is a pretty girl.

And unless she is ill, involved in an accident, or really abuses her body, when she is 50 she will still have the perfect symmetry and proportions she has now. I think this is supposed to represent her facial proportions: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-8TGRKjY8ACM/UkHi0645E4I/AAAAAAAAJNI/1bgtDlMn0wg/s1600/florencecolgate9.jpg

Now here is the young Kathy Burke: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/Gallery_Images/2010/8/20/1282320106480/Kathy-Burke-006.jpg

And Kathy Burke now: http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/11/12/1384274067759/Kathy-Burke-009.jpg

I chose her because I can remember some young starlet - forget who it was - bleating on about the terrible trials of being beautiful, and she told her to f*** off. As a matter of fact, it is possible to take quite a pretty photograph of Kathy Burke even today. But nothing in the world will convince me that someone not knowing who she is would look at a picture of her and say that they see her beautiful soul shining out, talented and likeable as she is when you do know who she is. Her facial proportions look nothing like Florence Colgate's: nose too big and bulbous, jaw too big, eyes not symmetrical, slightly hamster cheeks even when young. Nothing in the world, except a tremendous and almost certainly unwise amount of cosmetic surgery would turn her into that kind of stereotyped beauty.

Here is the famously surgically unaltered Emmylou Harris at 55: http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Emmylou+Harris+55th+Annual+GRAMMY+Awards+MusiCares+vvkk4hh0IIYl.jpg It's a pretty harsh picture, showing up every line and wrinkle. Still, you can see the 'good bones' as they say. She was beautiful young, and still beautiful, even when looking every year of her age, now.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've headed your post
    ""After 40 you have the face you deserve"
    But you reserve your examples to women who have/ have not retained their perceived "beauty".
    It's as shallow (the subject matter) as this other post about "large" women
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1994917
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife, aged 62, has lovely skin and hasn't had any facial treatments. Lucky I suppose:)
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes and no I suppose. I think not overdoing sun exposure helps reduce aging somewhat, but a lot of it is genetic. My mom looks good for her age at 63 and I'm not doing too bad at 43. It helps to watch shows like Jeremy Kyle though... some of them are rough as badgers' arses and makes me appreciate my relatively youthful glow. :D
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I think how your skin ages is largely hereditary. My mum has great skin and she is nearly 70.
    Also, if you are a bit plump, I think your skin looks far better when you are older.
    What's that saying? Face or figure.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    Also, if you are a bit plump, I think your skin looks far better when you are older.
    What's that saying? Face or figure.

I agree with that, my sister fills her face out more than I do so IMO she looks good facially.
    I am the slim one and I think I look like I have more lines than her.
    I do not like to drop too low in weight as then I feel I start to look haggard.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's 50/50. It's is obviously hereditary, but if you compare someone who smokes 20 a day from 15, drinks heavily and has bad sleeping habits to someone who doesn't, at the age of 50, it will be bloody obvious which is which. So, yes, in theory you do have the face you deserve at 50 or whatever age you pick. I have never smoked, moisturised since about 20 (dry skin), have always had 7/8 hours sleep and only ever drunk small amounts. I regularly get judged to be 10 yrs younger than I am (50+).
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I always assumed the phrase meant that no matter how beautiful you are, if you're mean-spirited, bitter and spiteful, it will show in the lines on your face in middle-age.
    Happy people have laughter lines, miserable gits are just wrinkled.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,187
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »
    My wife, aged 62, has lovely skin and hasn't had any facial treatments. Lucky I suppose:)

My mum is the same age, no lines, no work lol. She does moisturise though and looks after her skin.

You only get one face. I like moisturisers, my skin improved ten fold when I actually started caring for it. A lot of people don't need a skin care regimen, well a lot of that fortune probably comes down to genetics.

I have a decent regime now and folks are shocked when I tell them my age. I have to work for it though, no days off...
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you're only as old as the girl that you feel
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, I read somewhere recently that ageing of the skin at least is mainly in the genes. You can do all you can - moisturise, drink plenty of water, not smoke, eat well, and most importantly wear sunscreen (Baz Luhrman. He knew) - but the benefits are limited. It's usually a case of if your mum was getting a bit prune-like in her 30s or 40s chances are you will be too. If your mum was youthful looking into her 60s then good for you, I hate you. :D

The way I've aged in the last couple of years and looking at my mum, I'd say we're not blessed with an abundance of collagen in our pool. Oh well, we do have lovely manners. :-/

Not necessarily though, a lovely older lady I know is one of the most wrinkly women I think I've ever seen, and a while ago she came to the attention of some members of DS (don't really wanna say how) and comments were made about how wrinkly she is. I did think of jumping to her defence but to be honest, what they were saying was true so I just left it. Anyway her daughter has really good skin for her age, and she looks much younger than her years. I do often think she must count her lucky stars she didn't inherit her mother's skin!

Btw the last bit of your post did make me laugh. :D
    you're only as old as the girl that you feel

What if she's 72? :p

Edit: No offence to any 72 year olds! :blush::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Well you could always get Botox.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always assumed the phrase meant that no matter how beautiful you are, if you're mean-spirited, bitter and spiteful, it will show in the lines on your face in middle-age.
    Happy people have laughter lines, miserable gits are just wrinkled.

Exactly this. As I said it's about your personality showing through your face in the long run. If you are pretty but unpleasant when 15 you will appear pretty. By the time your 50 you will appear unpleasant.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think thats quite unfair .Life and what it throws at you is very much a part of how you look and how you age and how your skin is . Ilness, worry , stress, job , your childrens worries , a sick child, a sick partner all effect how you age and how you look