Options

Outdated Java notification?

coolercooler Posts: 13,024
Forum Member
✭✭
I was browsing the net in Chrome then I got automatically redirected to the url below which says that the Java version is outdated. Then it started downloading a setup.exe file. Is this some sort of fake/rouge software?

Admin edit: URL removed.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    I was browsing the net in Chrome then I got automatically redirected to the url below which says that the Java version is outdated. Then it started downloading a setup.exe file. Is this some sort of fake/rouge software?

Admin edit: URL removed.

Any page that automatically redirects you to an .exe is either a malware site or very badly designed.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok. Thanks for the info.

I only posted this thread earlier today, how has it got over 2000 views already?
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for the info.

I only posted this thread earlier today, how has it got over 2000 views already?

Yes that is a bit odd especially as inspector drake's post with the words 'fake' and 'Java' in the title having far fewer views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Something that I have wondered about previously, what do 'views' consist of ?
    Is it the number of views by logged in DS members or the number viewed on the web, if the latter it would explain ... lots of people Googling with the same problem.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 71,030
    Administrator
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Something that I have wondered about previously, what do 'views' consist of ?
    Is it the number of views by logged in DS members or the number viewed on the web, if the latter it would explain ... lots of people Googling with the same problem.

Views by anyone regardless of logged in status, including guests and visits from searches.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Views by anyone regardless of logged in status, including guests and visits from searches.

Thanks for the answer, that certainly explains why there are so many views, lots of people getting this problem and DS near the top for Google results ..... nice to see :).

Edit: years ago I had a problem and Googled, the best answers seemed to be on the DS computer forum so I joined (2005) and since have had a fair few problems fixed with help from the members.
    I have been able to help a few too, not too many :) but get great pleasure helping especially when I get the right answer :kitty:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Microsoft are releasing a patch that will strip IE of all outdated Java plugins. Can't come soon enough. Perhaps they will do something similar for Chrome et al.

IIRC Firefox disables them already, but allows you to use them if you (the user) override the setting, and I'm sure plenty do in ignorance when they're being click-happy.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I've been having the same problem, and Googled the url and got here, so the high view count might be from people doing the same as me.

It's so annoying. How have the Internet police not shut down that site yet? Is this only a problem with Google Chrome? I might try Internet Explorer or Firefox and see if those let me browse the Interent happily without shutting down the page and downloading a virus every few minutes... :rolleyes:

There was a similar thing happening to me a few months back, except with a different site that kept popping up, but that automatically downloaded a harmful file too. It just disappeared eventually, but if a new site is always going to keep replacing it then what's the point?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I've been having the same problem, and Googled the url and got here, so the high view count might be from people doing the same as me.

It's so annoying. How have the Internet police not shut down that site yet? Is this only a problem with Google Chrome? I might try Internet Explorer or Firefox and see if those let me browse the Interent happily without shutting down the page and downloading a virus every few minutes... :rolleyes:

There was a similar thing happening to me a few months back, except with a different site that kept popping up, but that automatically downloaded a harmful file too. It just disappeared eventually, but if a new site is always going to keep replacing it then what's the point?
    You might find IE and Firefox are similarly affected. If you google "fake java update" you will find several sites giving pretty similar instructions for cleaning up this problem. For example

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/updatesjava-com-removal/

Pretty much all of them involve going into Control Panel and looking through the list of installed programs for a certain range of names. Remove those then reset the browsers to get rid of the add-on the virus inserts.

Then a scan with your AV and something like Malwarebytes to check nothing is left behind.

It seems this infection might get in via an installer for some other program you download. It relies on the fact that a lot of people just blindly click Next in the install screens without bothering to read what it is they are agreeing to install alongside the wanted program.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I had the same problem yesterday, I use Ubuntu and Firefox. The thing had a link for to download a .exe and even if close the tab it did back again until installed Add Block Plus or ABP