Options

Radio signal drop when charging devices in car

jodrelljodrell Posts: 51
Forum Member
Hi.

I am finding that when I have something on charge in the car it causes the radio to either lose it's signal, or attenuate it dramatically.
I have a car with a factory fitted dab and fm radio, and a van with an fm radio with a plug in dab mini radio via the aux input, and when I plug in either mobile phone or sat nav to charge, as soon as the circuit kicks in, it either causes the dab to drop out if in a weakish signal area, or the fm to start hissing.
So, I tried the process of elimination. I doesn't matter which device I charge with, or which charging usb cable I use, or which 12v usb cigar lighter adapter I use, on either vehicle, the same happens.

I then eliminated the vehicle altogether by plugging the devices (individually) into a portable battery and therefore had no connection to the car at all and still causes the same problem!

All the radio equipment is factory fitted apart form the van portable dab aux in radio obviously.

If I don't charge anything, I get perfect reception almost everywhere. But I need the sat nav for work in the van, so need that plugged in all day.

Sorry for the long post! But can anyone shed any light on what is the problem or what I can do about it?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The power supply in some chargers can produce interference. A previous GPS that I used would wipe out the car radio when powered from the cigar lighter socket, it was a known fault and the lead was replaced free of charge. If they used a simple regulator chip then they need a decoupling capacitor across each leg of the chip. They only cost pennies but are often left off.

My Pure Highway produces slight interference on Band II when powered from the cigar lighter socket, does not matter because I only listen on Band II when no DAB signal.
  • Options
    jodrelljodrell Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply.

What's the best quality 12v car adapter you can get that is most likely to not cause interference?

Also, even taking the power supply out of the equation doesn't help, as i was saying when using an external portable usb battery to charge from in the car, which means other than the device physically being inside the car, there is no connection to it.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you use a cheap adaptor like this, it may not be effectively suppressed. As you have found, it will radiate interference through free space to your DAB and FM aerials.

If the plug is mechanically suitable for your mobile phone, this PURE device should be fine because it's designed to work with a DAB radio and in-car aerial.. However, the output is only 0.5A which is probably enough for your DAB receiver but may not be sufficient for your satnav which are usually more power hungry.

I've just tried my Garmin TA20 charger (Part No. 320-00239-70, output up to 2.0A) with both my phone and Pure Highway and there's no interference. Similarly, the Pure charger doesn't cause interference when charging my phone.

DAB on Wheels offer a 45-day refund so you shouldn't go wrong with them.

Good listening !
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    If you use a cheap adaptor like this, it may not be effectively suppressed.
    Yes, I made this mistake and it completely obliterates FM and DAB reception!
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The adaptor for my Pure Evoke Flow causes interference to the FM band from about 102 Mhz onwards. Hence I use the battery pack as much as possible should I want to listen to Sunshine Radio around here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi

Can anyone help

I have had a Denion DAB fitted so I can tune DAB through an FM channel on my Lexus IS250 which has been working fine until I have just had a dash cam hard wired in through the fuse box at Halfords, as soon as ignition comes on and dash cam starts to charge the DAB signal drops out, if I disconnect the camera(stop it charging) it is fine I have been told to put Ferrite connectors on which has not made a difference anyone have any advice please?

Thanks Andy
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I had a GPS / Sat Nav that wiped out the car radio when I plugged into the cigar lighter socket. I checked and it was known problem so they changed the charger lead / adaptor. A common problem when someone does not fit capacitors across the leads of the regulator chip used in the power supply - they cost only pennies each!
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just had a dash cam hard wired in through the fuse box at Halfords
    Halfords... say no more.

Read up on the new Consumer Rights Act 2015 and be prepared to quote chapter and verse.

Assuming that Halfords supplied the dash cam, tell them that their installation is not fit for purpose and reject it

But act quickly, the clock is ticking.
  • Options
    iamianiamian Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in the car but at home. Our Roberts radio alarm lock loses all DAB when I plug in a mobile phone to charge. Same with 4 different USB chargers including OEM from Samsung and HTC.
  • Options
    AetnlaAetnla Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the interference problem is due to the lack of shielding. The first car I had didn't have interference problems when using chargers. I bought a different car earlier this year and have found that many of my chargers cause the radio to go all hissy when used. Both cars have a standard AM/FM radio (no DAB).
  • Options
    buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 09/08/18 - 06:17 #12
    As a result of this thread I did some investigation on my DAB adapter. And discovered that all USB car power plugs are not equal.

Found that my original Bauhn power plug creates no interference while another supposedly high quality one does. The interference is from the root another brands power plug whether or not it's in use.

Detailed result, see post 113 at
    https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2268322/aldi-car-dab-receiver-fm-transmitter/p5