Options

Daily Mail online adverts disguised as news articles

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2736975/Eczema-ruining-lives-never-slept-Mother-wit-s-end-son-s-skin-condition-discovers-cure-worked-just-DAYS.html

In recent months the DM (and other online sources) have been using these type of ads more and more.

I don't accept that "everyone should know what they are", I showed it to a couple of people and they all thought it was genuine "news" article.

I accept that sometimes the message that "this is a paid for advertisement"(TV) or "advertizing feature" (news print) is shown when its bloody obvious its an ad, but its there for a purpose.

However in this case its pretty sick deceiving readers some of whome will be at there wits ends over an agony that inflicts their child.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ` That Daily Mail`, its about time someone complained about them. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    ` That Daily Mail`, its about time someone complained about them. :D
    Not a complaint but a criticism. Do you think its justified?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called "Native Advertising" and, not unsurprisingly, it originated in the states ..

http://www.theguardian.com/media-network-outbrain-partner-zone/native-advertising-quality-scalability
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,340
    Forum Member
    Anyone who can't distinguish between an 'advertorial' and a news item is a cause for concern.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone who can't distinguish between an 'advertorial' and a news item is a cause for concern.
    I bet get nothing gets past you, and you work it all out for yourself.
    Your ever so clever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's called "Native Advertising" and, not unsurprisingly, it originated in the states ..

http://www.theguardian.com/media-network-outbrain-partner-zone/native-advertising-quality-scalability

Thanks for this. Just googled "native advertizing" and come up with some interesting articles. Tend to agree with this point in the guardian
    For the uninitiated, native advertising is the way in which publishers integrate their advertising within the content of a magazine, newspaper or website. Rather than create a clear delineation between ads and editorial content, native advertising seeks to blend both into a coherent entity where the relevancy of the ads and editorial is seamless. However, there is one proviso – publishers must not seek to trick their readers into thinking the ads are part of the editorial.
    http://www.theguardian.com/media-network/media-network-blog/2014/mar/10/native-advertising-engage-consumers-transparent
    A recent native advertising test by Hearst within Harper's Bazaar produced a click-through rate of up to 1.5% compared to the industry average of 0.1% on traditional online banner ads. Click-through rates at the native advertising company I work at, ContentClick, are seeing similar levels of engagement.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,925
    Forum Member
    The ones to look out are the scam auction sites like MADBID and SWOGGI the site , makes it look like recommendations
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,431
    Forum Member
    John Oliver covered this on one of his recent shows:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_F5GxCwizc
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is deceiving about it?

The company used to be Salcura. They are doing a rebrand which was stated on their website. Being changed to Bioskin junior. Probably to highlight it can be used on kids.

Its a great brand, i use many of their products. I have spent a fortune on skincare and their zeoderm was a miracle for me!
  • Options
    Ninja_NathanNinja_Nathan Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    It makes me sad when they are effectively selling snake oil, using children no less. There is literally no limit to the depths they will sink to.

But I still read it in my lunch break ;)
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I accept that sometimes the message that "this is a paid for advertisement"(TV) or "advertizing feature" (news print) is shown when its bloody obvious its an ad, but its there for a purpose.

I've always taken the view that any ads where such a label is necessary should be banned as misleading. My dislike of advertising is pretty well known though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least the DM's stuff is marked as advertorial.

What's more disturbing is things like the Guardian's "partnership" with Unilever: http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/02/13/the-guardian-now-shares-values-with-unilever/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    What is deceiving about it?
    I pass no comment on the claims in the article or the effectiveness of the product. My criticism is of the DM (and other papers) trying to deceive its readers into thinking this is a news article when its an advert.

Normally such ads are marked as such, even though its always pretty obvious and sometimes feels patronizing to do so. While forum member Hieronymous (he is ever so clever) can spot them a mile off (he has NEVER been fooled, and he knows that for a fact!!!), I would say this ad is pushes the boundaries of acceptability. Not only is the the fact its an ad well hidden, it also deals with a medical condition that affects thousands of babies and children.

I appreciate the newspapers need to make money and "free content" is killing them.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I bet get nothing gets past you, and you work it all out for yourself.
    Your ever so clever.
    Yes! Sometimes he can even spell.
    Oh, I know, it's irony. :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes! Sometimes he can even spell.
    Oh, I know, it's irony. :kitty:
    Just sometimes?
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since it has the form of a standard health news item and is written by a journalist who covers health news for the Daily Mail; it is clearly dishonest and deceitful piece of writing.

If your GP got paid to promote a product for your use, rather than the optimal treatment, without even disclosing the fact he was being financially rewarded by the company, the article's defenders here would presumably be happy with that. Because essentially that is what is going on here.

It is incumbent on a newspaper to CLEARLY distinguish between chronicling (health) news and paid copy.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Since it has the form of a standard health news item and is written by a journalist who covers health news for the Daily Mail; it is clearly dishonest and deceitful piece of writing.

If your GP got paid to promote a product for your use, rather than the optimal treatment, without even disclosing the fact he was being financially rewarded by the company, the article's defenders here would presumably be happy with that. Because essentially that is what is going on here.

It is incumbent on a newspaper to CLEARLY distinguish between chronicling (health) news and paid copy.

It's sad, and worrying, that one publisher has recently sought to judge the quality of their staff on how appealing articles are to advertisers. The barriers are now well and truly gone, and 'journalists' today are expected to think about the commercial success of anything they write, and indeed the impact of writing something controversial.

In my experience, some publishing directors will proudly say that writers aren't under any pressure, but then have quiet words with writers or even pull articles that the editor might have approved - and all because it will annoy a company/agency or a particular person that could cost the firm money.

As long as we have websites giving content for free, funded purely through advertising, we'll get this more and more. Ultimately, to get proper funded journalism with no bias and no tricks, we need to start paying for content. Then things can go back to the old days where an advertisers started to threaten a publisher, and was told to go stick it. The magazine/newspaper cover price covered all the printing and staff costs, and the advertising was the profit. So, while you didn't want to lose profit unnecessarily, you were in a position to let one advertiser pull out and get replaced with another and not feel that at any point you were suddenly going to lose money, have to lay off staff etc.

The other thing the DM is now doing loads of is celebrity articles to sell clothing. Most of the 'candid' photo stories are clearly well organised, so Z-list celeb decides to have a picnic in a park on their own, and a cameraman is stealthily hidden all of a couple of metres away... and then the story gives the celeb what they want (coverage) and the DM gets to show that what she's wearing is now available to buy here..

They're not even marked as advertorials.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2749597/All-hail-iPhone-6-iPhone-6-Plus-Apple-reveals-generation-handsets.html
    It’s (finally) time for the Apple Watch! Firm unveils its much anticipated health-tracking timepiece and showcases two larger, longer-lasting iPhone 6 and 6 Plus handsets

I know newspapers tend to cut and paste press releases uncritical, but it is a major story (like it or not), and there is nothing negative in the article such as pointing out the "ever thinner" is half a mm. It also has other selling points that would not normally be in press releases.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail is worth avoiding at the best of times, but their "Health" and "Science" sections are doubly worth avoiding as I doubt they've ever printed anything accurate in them ever.