Options

Channels breaking up more following guide update

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
Forum Member
I live in Swindon, and am picking up from the Mendip transmitter for most channels. Some of these recent channels, such as POP and Made in Bristol are of poor quality due to what I think is that they are of a less powerful frequency, yet this morning BBC One is breaking up on and off. Not in grid form, but rather the sound will stutter and a line of blue or green will be seen covering a portion of the screen. The issues are not occurring on ITV (or less so) or the others, but they are still a problem with both the main news and Points West. In the past, issues with transmission were very rare. So is this a problem with the connection into my TV, is it just a bad day or has some of the frequency range for certain channels been deducted following the numbering change (BBC One is still at 1). Or is it at their end? The settings confirm that the quality if BBC One is at 10 (highest).

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I receive my signal from the Winter Hill transmitter and am also having picture/sound breakup on BBC1, this has only started since the retune, have not had time to test any other channels yet
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The changes to the EPG are simply a change of numbers for certain channels, none of the channels have actually changed the way they are transmitted.

What may have happened is that you have picked up a distant transmitter during the retune and your TV has allocated those to the "normal" numbers and your correct local transmitter to numbers up in the 800s. So check to see if there are any duplicate channels up there.

But nothing else about the way the channels are broadcast has changed. So in theory if you were receiving the channels perfectly before the retune you should also be receiving them perfectly afterwards.
  • Options
    richardpaul1987richardpaul1987 Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe there are issues affecting TV and DAB nationwide. Something to do with Vodafone...
  • Options
    James VertiganJames Vertigan Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would appear to be a nationwide fault with BBC DAB and some TV services. According to Radio Devon, Vodafone are investigating the fault.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe there are issues affecting TV and DAB nationwide. Something to do with Vodafone...

where did you hear that one from ? and how can it affect Freeview and DAB ?

and where does Vodafone slot in ? - it all sounds very strange
  • Options
    James VertiganJames Vertigan Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone bought the part of Cable and Wireless that looks after some of the circuitry
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed this morning that the signal strength on some channels had dipped on Bilsdale, causing the channels to break up.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone bought the part of Cable and Wireless that looks after some of the circuitry

you called it a ' nationwide fault ' when it sounds that it may be a local fault
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Chris Evans saying something about a DAB fault on Radio 2 this morning
  • Options
    richardpaul1987richardpaul1987 Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »

Article on A516 Digital about it.

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/09/fault-affects-bbc-tv-and-dab-services.html?m=1
  • Options
    ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live near Colchester, and since 3rd sept both (at least ) ITV and Film 4 now suffer picture break up whic it did not do before !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ktla5 wrote: »
    I live near Colchester, and since 3rd sept both (at least ) ITV and Film 4 now suffer picture break up whic it did not do before !
    Nothing to do with ITV or Film 4 changed on 3rd September - are you sure you haven't picked up signals from a different transmitter when rescanning? Duplicate channels in the 800s would be a tell-tale sign. Funnily enough, the a516 article linked to in the previous post refers to that as well
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Loads of reports here at the Rowridge transmitter had this including me.
    Retuned tonight and all seems ok, so looks like it may be fixed now.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dover signal seems not good tonight though aerial is not even pointing at this but has gone down from 100% to 4%.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Okay, it was a nationwide error. Since it was not going blocky, but went blue or green, it seemed like a more analogue error at their end.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,544
    Forum Member
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »

OK - just to clarify - I rang Arqiva yesterday to report the DAB problem, as we noticed the local service was either down or really poor.

The guy at Arqiva told me it was a nationwide problem, and was due to a fault at Vodaphone, who now handle the distribution for the transmitters. He also mentioned that the same fault was affecting BBC1 on Freeview, causing intermittent glitching - but BBC1 was the only TV service he mentioned.
  • Options
    pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    Nothing to do with ITV or Film 4 changed on 3rd September - are you sure you haven't picked up signals from a different transmitter when rescanning? Duplicate channels in the 800s would be a tell-tale sign. Funnily enough, the a516 article linked to in the previous post refers to that as well

Why don't they include the transmitter name in the region setting when you retune so you know exactly which transmitter you are tuned to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they include the transmitter name in the region setting when you retune so you know exactly which transmitter you are tuned to?
    There are about 1500 of them so that could get tricky.
  • Options
    pete taylorpete taylor Posts: 1,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are about 1500 of them so that could get tricky.

I would only want to see the names or transmitters found during the retune, not all of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would only want to see the names or transmitters found during the retune, not as of them.
    I realise that, I was simply pointing out the practical difficulties of inserting the name of every individual transmitter into the broadcast streams. If it were restricted to just the main transmitters I agree it could be useful.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,544
    Forum Member
    I realise that, I was simply pointing out the practical difficulties of inserting the name of every individual transmitter into the broadcast streams. If it were restricted to just the main transmitters I agree it could be useful.

Probably less useful than not doing it at all - why would doing it on just a small handful of transmitters be 'useful'?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably less useful than not doing it at all - why would doing it on just a small handful of transmitters be 'useful'?.
    You're probably right - the main points of issue are what region is being received, which is already covered, or whether a main transmitter or relay are being received, which would not be covered by just including the main transmitter name.