Options

No Sound after 3rd September re-tune on certain radio channels on YouView boxes

Stephen_FirthStephen_Firth Posts: 109
Forum Member
After the big re-tune yesterday I find that radio channels 712(Kiss Fresh), 713(Kiss), 714(Kisstory) 715(Magic) and 717(Kerrang) have no sound on both of my Humax YouView T1000 boxes.

The old frequencies which are now on channels 792 - 796 work OK. There is an MHEG image on both the old and new frequencies. Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the big re-tune yesterday I find that radio channels 712(Kiss Fresh), 713(Kiss), 714(Kisstory) 715(Magic) and 717(Kerrang) have no sound on both of my Humax YouView T1000 boxes.

The old frequencies which are now on channels 792 - 796 work OK. There is an MHEG image on both the old and new frequencies. Anyone else have this problem?

They are not "frequencies" as such but streams on a digital multiplex. If you have two lots of channel numbers and one set works and the other doesn't it suggests something screwed up during the retune and the channel tuning data wasn't updated correctly.

Not sure if the Humax has the option to just scan the Radio services without also having to scan the TV services as well. But if it can it might be worth deleting all the radio channels then rescanning to see if that sorts it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A bit of extra info:- Both the old and new mux's have good signals (75& strength / 100% quality). Also the 2 TV's which are connected to the 2 YouView boxes RF Out sockets both work OK on the old and new mux's. using their own internal tuners. Seems to be only the YouView boxes which have a problem with the new channels 71X.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did a full re-scan and no change. The 71X radio channels have the correct MHEG dispay for each station, but no sound. The corresponding 79X radio stations have an MHEG display saying a re-tune is required as expected and work OK. Strange!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did a full re-scan and no change. The 71X radio channels have the correct MHEG dispay for each station, but no sound. The corresponding 79X radio stations have an MHEG display saying a re-tune is required as expected and work OK. Strange!!

Did you delete the channels first? If not and the box didn't auto delete before retuning it is always possible the old data isn't being overwritten properly.

The other option if all else fails is to do a factory reset (Humax usually call it Default Settings) which wipes all the set-up data and puts the unit back into the state it was in the first time you turned it on. It shouldn't lose any recordings on the hard drive though.

But that should guarantee all the old tuning data is cleared out so shouldn't be screwing up the retune.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't think you can delete channels on a YouView box it's fairly poor in that respect. Might try the "Maintenance Re-set" (keeping recordings) when I can find the instructions on line.

Bye the way someone else on the YouView forum has the same problem:-

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/no-sound-on-magic-kiss-kerrang-radio-channels
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One trick that might work is to retune with the aerial unplugged. See if that clears everything out and then try again but with the aerial back in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Might try that later, getting a bit bored with it now. It's only a few radio stations that I'll never listen to that's the problem. Think I'll wait a bit to see if anyone else comes up with a solution.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had this problem too as reported on my first post in the 1st September changes thread and subsequent request whether anyone else had the same problem - now I know they have! It's not just the Youview box (which is a Humax), it also happens on my old Humax 9150T PVR - on that the sound disappears as soon as the MHEG loads, same on my 2007 Panasonic TV, so there is clearly a problem with these transmissions and there is nothing we can do to the receivers to make it go away. Who do we report it to, Digital UK?
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    Who do we report it to, Digital UK?
    Yes..
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The duplicates of these channels In the 790's all have sound so I assume when these are removed things will return to normal ?

My Sony PVR has no sound at all whereas my Humax 9300T initially has sound but this stops when the screensaver comes on.

Very odd.

Wonder if a software update will fix the problem ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    The duplicates of these channels In the 790's all have sound so I assume when these are removed things will return to normal ?
    No, quite the opposite, once these are removed there will be no way at all to get sound on these channels and the chances of getting a software update for old equipment are extremely slim. I will report it to DUK tomorrow, I suggest others do the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have now reported this to Digital UK and will see what they say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Must have done the trick.

Problem now appears to have been rectified. All radio stations affected working OK now (at least on Divis).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    Problem now appears to have been rectified. All radio stations affected working OK now (at least on Divis).
    OK on Crystal Palace too. It will be interesting to see whether I get a reply thanking me for my report and saying it has now been fixed or a set of instructions for how to retune my receiver :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice Magic is now on Mono on Freeview as well as Satellite, but this has probably nothing to do with the problem.

Likewise, all the Kiss stations (Kisstory was in stereo on Freeview, Kiss stereo on satellite)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a reply, four days after my message and four days after it had been fixed:
    Thank you for your email dated 5 September regarding sound problems.

You mention in your email that your Sony TV works without sound problems for all channels. This would indicate that there is a possibility the software for your Humax and Panasonic equipment requires updating.

We would recommend that you contact the manufacturers to do this.

Here are the contact numbers:
    Panasonic: 0844 844 3899
    Humax: 0344 318 8800

We have received no similar reports from other viewers, however we will monitor this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Just press Pause and then Play, that works for me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmsspr93 wrote: »
    Just press Pause and then Play, that works for me
    Are you saying the problem has not been fixed for you? By the way, not all TVs have a pause function!