Options

6 Month Old Baby Girl Killed In Dog Attack

GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-29491535

Absolutely terrible, RIP little girl, condolences to all family and friends. :cry:

Comments

• Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it a Rotweiler or Pit Bull, owned by "the boyfriend"?as per usual.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it might have been a mongredoodle
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

Dog was probably jealous at all the attention the baby was getting.Thought 'i'll sort that out'.Bet it was one of those Staffies as usual.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    almost always the same circumstances visiting child and dogs own territory and easily avoided not that that helps the family or brings this poor baby back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    Dog was probably jealous at all the attention the baby was getting.Thought 'i'll sort that out'.Bet it was one of those Staffies as usual.

dogs don't think like that you are attaching human emotions to an animal.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Said on the radio that tests were being carried out to determine whether it was a member of a banned breed. So presumably not a lapdog.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »

Don't you believe that animals have emotions ?
    I disagree if that's what you are saying, and in my opinion dogs can get jealous.

As for the unfortunate incident, it was the owners mistake, baby's and dogs don't mix.
    The identity of the breed won't be known until next week, after tests are carried out.
    Most dogs wouldn't need tests for identification, so that narrows it down.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor baby. Probably a staffie or similar owned by the 35yr old grandma. They just never learn.
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is time to ban certain breeds being allowed in a home with children under the age of 10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    Don't you believe that animals have emotions ?
    I disagree if that's what you are saying, and in my opinion dogs can get jealous.

As for the unfortunate incident, it was the owners mistake, baby's and dogs don't mix.
    The identity of the breed won't be known until next week, after tests are carried out.
    Most dogs wouldn't need tests for identification, so that narrows it down.

Not in the same way humans do they view the world differently, it's not jealousy it would be resource guarding they're displaying.

Babies and children mix great with dogs with educated mindful owners, some owners just shouldn't have dogs and that's not because they are bad per se but because they are not as knowledgable as they should be in dog behaviour and breed specific traits
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be a mass cull of dogs.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    someone has said it was possibly a illegal Pit Bull. Though that maybe just internet talk.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure someone will be along to tell us how Labrador are responsible for more babies deaths than all other dogs put together..

We may even get a FM lying to us that "on another forum, someone heard the police saying there is more too this than meets the eye".
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor baby. Probably a staffie or similar owned by the 35yr old grandma. They just never learn.

Wouldn't hurt a fly. A big softy. They used to be called nanny dogs
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Will wait and see what sort of dog, my son had a wonsderful staffy children loved her and she loved them, they lost her a few weeks back. They allso have a six year old British bull terrier, such a wonderful dog. I really do think it is the owner not the dogs.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    housegirl wrote: »
    Will wait and see what sort of dog, my son had a wonsderful staffy children loved her and she loved them, they lost her a few weeks back. They allso have a six year old British bull terrier, such a wonderful dog. I really do think it is the owner not the dogs.

It is the owners, I have a staffy cross and she is a complete softy who adores kids and has never been aggressive. A few weeks ago after witnessing a particularly awful row the poor thing was so distressed she started being sick all over the place.

It always annoys me when I take her for a work and she is barked at and growled at by aggressive little yapping dogs but their owners have the audacity to tell me that my dog is dangerous.

It's beyond sad that a little girl has lost her life this way but more dog owners need to realise it's not just about walking and feeding a dog there's so many other things that should be and need to be addressed before owning any dog.
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will some people learn not to leave a dog alone with a child? My dog is the soppiest dog in the world but he'd never be left alone or given the opportunity to be left alone with any of our children
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    I think it's mostly down to the owners. My mum has a staffy cross and while she is harmless I would never leave my daughter unattended round about her and I've told my mum the same. You just don't know when a dog can snap. Still a sad story though, that poor baby and her family :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    U96 wrote: »

This could make me unpopular but I don't care.. all of the above were my first thoughts, and humans continue to be so stupid
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to say. That has not been said before thousands of times.

Poor child. Poor parents and family.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad.

About time it was mandatory for every dog over, of any breed, to be required to learn a little about to understand and control them.
  • Options
    Tom_TitTom_Tit Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »

Of course dogs have emotions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Of course dogs have emotions.

Not in the same way as people they don't. That's why some people are bad dog owners as they think of them as people not animals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    Very sad.

About time it was mandatory for every dog over, of any breed, to be required to learn a little about to understand and control them.

That's the thing people always make it about the breed if the dog when it needs to be about educating owners about dogs and their behaviour, they do not think the sane as humans and owners need to remember that
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dogs are very dim so it beats me why people think it's okay to mix them with babies.
    Before anyone starts on about how 'intelligent' they are check out the news story at the start of this thread.