Options

Hutchison prepares bid for o2 or EE

jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
Forum Member
Hong Kong's Hutchison Whampoa, which owns mobile operator Three UK, is preparing a bid for mobile operators EE or O2, currently in exploratory talks about selling their operations to BT, several people familiar with the matter told Reuters. Hutchison could make an offer for either company by the end of the year, as BT is expected to decide on a deal within weeks.

Hutchison, which according to the sources is working on the deal with a consultancy, was not available to comment. Telefonica, which wants to sell O2 to repay debt, could sell to Hutchison if a deal with BT falls through. O2, valued at GBP 9.4 billion, would also be less expensive than EE, at EUR 22 billion.

Comments

• Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that was always going to happen as soon as Telefonica put the suggestion out there and when BT and EE put there feathers into the hat I would of been shocked if Hutchison weren't interested in one of them.

I do wonder if a EE+Three deal would get EU approval imagine they would have to give up some of there 1800MHz and 2100MHz spectrum to Vodafone or O2 but imagine they would be allowed keep the 2x10MHz of 800MHz a combined company would have. Which would be one of the major benefits. Vodafone would be worried as hell if EE managed to even keep 2x10MHz of 800MHz 2x20MHz of 1800MHz and 2x20MHz of 2600MHz. Hutchison definitely could afford to buy EE.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im a bit surprised that Hutchison are after EE as there are bound to be regulatory issues but I guess there would be if the bought O2 as well only less so. The used to own Orange back in the good old days ironically :D

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/11/27/uk-hutchisonwhampoa-ee-o2-exclusive-idUKKCN0JB25F20141127
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Now this is a far more accurate rumour..
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    A source (who I am afraid I cannot reveal) has said that talks between Hutchison and O2 have been going on for some time now. The BT talks have only recently begun and it looks like they're more keen on EE than O2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    A source (who I am afraid I cannot reveal) has said that talks between Hutchison and O2 have been going on for some time now. The BT talks have only recently begun and it looks like they're more keen on EE than O2.

Hutchison and O2 talks have been going on for ages.

Everyone and their mum knew about that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The source added that Hutchison is probably looking to offer EE a lower price than they want and thus there's a good chance it'll be rejected. What they are considering offering O2 is right what O2 are looking for.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see what happens I expect January will be an interesting month.
  • Options
    RileyMRileyM Posts: 2,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things are now getting interesting
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll need a dedicated M&A thread soon otherwise these discussions will be all over the place...

Vodafone weighing takeover of Liberty Global (who own Virgin Media)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-28/vodafone-said-to-eye-takeover-of-malone-s-liberty-global.html
    Vodafone Group Plc (VOD) is exploring a combination with John Malone’s Liberty Global Plc (LBTYA) that would create Europe’s largest phone, Internet and TV company, worth more than $130 billion, people with knowledge of the matter said...

...The case for a combination has been strengthened after BT Group Plc, the former U.K. phone monopoly, entered talks to buy either Telefonica SA’s O2 unit or EE, the wireless carrier co-owned by Orange SA and Deutsche Telekom AG, two of the people said. The likelihood of a deal has also increased as Vodafone bolsters its fixed-line operations and Liberty moves toward offering mobile services in some markets, they said. While Vodafone is examining several options in the wake of BT’s negotiations, Liberty remains the likeliest partner for a transaction, one of the people said.

Aside from the European cable assets Vodafone are interested in it could also give them Virgin's ~3 million mobile customers, and significant additional fibre assets in the UK including the provision of backhaul and core transport for the other operators.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

That's exactly what I looked like as I got to your post! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hutchison would be like EE coming home.
    Coax Hans Snook out of the local colonic irrigation centre with 200 B&H, change the wording and logo on here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNumMxlxqGo
    ....and you're good to go!
    :)
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Aww Bless, when you had to call for a leaflet or brochure rather than looking on the website. Those were the days.... Ha!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You may mock Sir, but just imagine being able to see who's calling BEFORE you answer......
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,083
    Forum Member
    Now this is a far more accurate rumour..

What are you talking about? They were not rumours about BT. It has been confirmed, it's a fact that they are looking at buying O2 or EE.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    if Hutchisson buys EE, then it would leave BT open to buy back O2, maybe they will pick up from where they left: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdSSsuSssg0
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    I am on the fence with this.....

I would like BT to come back into the market to shake things up massively, O2 is probably the perfect fit for BT, there would be little competition complaints, they would have end and low end spectrum. Though they are looking at EE as well, I should imagine that would raise competition concerns especially in respect of spectrum, I still think EE should have been forced to divest more than the 30Mhz they have done so already.

What my biggest concern is the market being reduced to 3 operators, I suppose it isn't impossible for the parent company of Three to buy EE or O2 and still run them as separate entities. The most likely merger would be O2, as EE wouldn't be allowed to proceed due to a then effective monopoly. I really hope the plurality as is protected as I would loathe competition to be reduced to 3 networks. I can't see how this would avoid being referred to the Monopolies and Mergers commission, even then they must rubber stamp it :confused:

Vodafone is still in talks with Sky as well, whether that comes of anything remains to be seen. However they are working on concrete proposals for their forthcoming "quadplay" packages. Potential offering of mobile and landline together so that when you are out and about people can contact you on your landline but would be diverted to your mobile should you not be at home, amongst some other things.

I think competition works well when you have more guerilla providers, but it seems we could be heading in a direction that threatens such outcomes :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    We'll need a dedicated M&A thread soon otherwise these discussions will be all over the place...

Vodafone weighing takeover of Liberty Global (who own Virgin Media)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-28/vodafone-said-to-eye-takeover-of-malone-s-liberty-global.html

Aside from the European cable assets Vodafone are interested in it could also give them Virgin's ~3 million mobile customers, and significant additional fibre assets in the UK including the provision of backhaul and core transport for the other operators.

I have a good friend that's deeply embedded in Vodafone (ex Cable & Wireless) and he says this won't happen.

Part of what Vodafone got when they bought C&W was the ex Bulldog/Pipex LLU infrastructure, so they can offer Quad Play (or "Four" Play as it's currently being referred to within Vodafone!) to far more customers using that, than they could ever hope to reach using Virgin's cable network.

Virgin was definitely explored, but only until someone (an ex C&W person) reminded them that they've already got a network to be able to offer voice & data over.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,083
    Forum Member
    I have a good friend that's deeply embedded in Vodafone (ex Cable & Wireless) and he says this won't happen.

Part of what Vodafone got when they bought C&W was the ex Bulldog/Pipex LLU infrastructure, so they can offer Quad Play (or "Four" Play as it's currently being referred to within Vodafone!) to far more customers using that, than they could ever hope to reach using Virgin's cable network.

Virgin was definitely explored, but only until someone (an ex C&W person) reminded them that they've already got a network to be able to offer voice & data over.

There's massive cost savings to be achieved by offering service over their own HFC network (if they bought Virgin) rather than using the LLU network they have. What you've got to remember about LLU is they've got to pay rental to BT to locate in their exchanges, they've got to rent some fibre off BT (Ethernet Backhaul Direct) to link onto their own network and also you've got Openreach costs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Icaraa wrote: »
    There's massive cost savings to be achieved by offering service over their own HFC network (if they bought Virgin) rather than using the LLU network they have. What you've got to remember about LLU is they've got to pay rental to BT to locate in their exchanges, they've got to rent some fibre off BT (Ethernet Backhaul Direct) to link onto their own network and also you've got Openreach costs.

Agreed, but as they already have an LLU network, buying Virgin is an unnecessary cost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If BT were to buy O2, do we think that they would actually bother to invest in upgrading the infrastructure?

After all, O2 (when it was BT Cellnet or Cellnet, or whatever) was the first mobile network to launch GPRS. We need that sort of "get up and go" attitude today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If BT were to buy O2, do we think that they would actually bother to invest in upgrading the infrastructure?

After all, O2 (when it was BT Cellnet or Cellnet, or whatever) was the first mobile network to launch GPRS. We need that sort of "get up and go" attitude today.

Don't think they will need to.
    O2 have masts on the Moon apparently! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jvbm1srmprhwdo/O2_moon.JPG?dl=0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Don't think they will need to.
    O2 have masts on the Moon apparently! :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3jvbm1srmprhwdo/O2_moon.JPG?dl=0

I believe it was Dave from O2 who said "One small step for man, and one 3G mast for o2."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One 3G mast: seems accurate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One 3G mast: seems accurate.

You got the joke haha. ;)