Why do you watch XFactor and what does it mean to you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 562
Forum Member
✭✭
It's becoming more and more apparent every year that a significant portion of XFactor viewers now see the show as a bit of a joke at best, a manipulative lie at worst. This year I think the forum has become even more divisive in terms of which camp forumites are a part of.

It seems that every thread now contains the fundamental argument of whether the show is what it perhaps initially started as and still pertains to be (a singing contest) or whether it is a cynical tool to line Simon Cowell's pockets. The number veering more towards the latter on the sliding scale, seems to be increasing at a very fast rate, especially with Cowell now back on the panel, the Paul Akister incident and release of Steve Brookstein's book.

So what I wondered is, where do you stand? Why do you watch the XFactor? What does it mean to you? The options in the poll won't cover everyone's exact feelings but please choose the answer that most closely represents your viewpoint.

Why do you watch XFactor and what does it mean to you? 67 votes

It's an entertainment show, I just watch for a laugh and don't think deeply about it
22% 15 votes
It's manipulated, scripted, predictable but I still enjoy watching the drama unfold
28% 19 votes
It's a singing contest and I watch to see real talent who can go on to sell records
5% 4 votes
It's about finding potential stars who can go on to perform for a living and entertain the public
16% 11 votes
It's a disgusting show that manipulates viewers, toys with contestants & ruins music industry
26% 18 votes

Comments

• EvilLlamaThingyEvilLlamaThingy Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    Honestly when it comes down to it, I just like watching people sing. So if I'm free on a Saturday night, I may as well. Whatever you can say about the X Factor, the singing standard is mostly pretty good.

Plus I actually really enjoy the discussion on here. Not going to lie, that's kind of become a part of why I still bother to be honest. :p

I suppose my closest answer to the ones on the poll is the top one. I'm aware of the manipulation and the less favourable aspects of the show, but in all honestly, I don't really care. It's just something to do on a Saturday/Sunday night.
  • 09beyoncefan09beyoncefan Posts: 2,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A combination of the third, fourth and first options for me.

It is a talent show, but it isn't The Voice so I do like to see performers and those who entertain me - not necessarily the best vocalists. That said, I always hate the novelty acts with the exception of Stevi who I didn't mind. For example, Fleur is an amazing all round popstar with a decent voice, Andrea has a knockout voice but is quite boring. I can't claim that I don't take it a bit too seriously at times though; I often play the talent card and call a fix when a fave of mine is eliminated haha.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    It's a load of predictable scripted nonsense. I watch it out of habit, because there's nothing else on, and because I find shouting abuse at the telly cathartic.

Plus, occasionally someone does a decent job with a song. You do get some decent singers here and there.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something to watch on a cold Saturday night when I can't be arsed to go out. Within minutes of the final ending, I've pretty much forgotten who the acts were

If it was on in June/July, hardly anyone would bother with it
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the vain hope that i may seen one or two acts that i like. It is rarely more than two in any one year to be honest as the standard is very poor.
  • dia6olodia6olo Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally couldn't care less, I have watched some series in full, missed some series fully & half watched others.
    Occasionally there's an act one really likes as is the case with me this year right from the off, so have watched it fully this year so far.
    I am however finding the hype/manipulation/derailing of the various contestants hard to stomach, making it very unlikely I will ever watch the show again beyond my act...
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Well it aint about a singing competition anymore. ..this year has definitely sealed that concept in my mind, good and proper!!

Its all about who Simon wants to make plenty money off....but eventually unbeknown to the winner, they are more likely to crash and burn a few years down the line. ..ask Leona and Steve B!!!
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As an answer the the question, the last option doesn't make sense :confused:

'Why do you watch X factor'?

It's a disgusting show that manipulates viewers, toys with contestants & ruins music industry

Is that really why you watch :o

I clicked no 4 - about people going on to have career in entertainment.
  • E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »

Good point raised here!!! Lol:D:D
  • ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An increasing number of people only watch for the betting.

They may not enjoy watching it, but a show which blatantly points out who they want out each week and who they want to win overall is a great way to "win" free money.
    So I guess a mix of 2 & 4 for me.
  • dottzie38dottzie38 Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch purely out of habit
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »

I clicked no 4 - about people going on to have career in entertainment.

Ah but it does make sense in the context of this forum!

I added this option because I've seen dozens of posts on here from people saying they hate the show and everything it represents, that's it's a complete joke, that everyone who votes is wasting money, that they need to wake up and see what is going on..............but they are obviously still watching!

As someone has already commented in this thread, some people watch because they find it cathartic to shout at the TV!

Admittedly, this option could maybe do with a second part to explain why they watch (there are two parts to the question) but in all honesty, I didn't know why someone would watch if they felt that strongly about it, so didn't have anything to write! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An increasing number of people only watch for the betting.

They may not enjoy watching it, but a show which blatantly points out who they want out each week and who they want to win overall is a great way to "win" free money.
    So I guess a mix of 2 & 4 for me.

Agreed, I only watch the live shows for the betting now (after I realised how manipulated it was a few years back!) though I do quite enjoy pre-live shows. But "betting" is a pretty boring answer. I wanted to know what the real fans/watchers of the show think.

For the record, I selected number 2 but am rapidly becoming a 5! :D
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... how should I vote? It's an entertainment show that manipulates viewers and toys with contestants, but I watch to see the drama unfold, and for the sake of occasional performances memorable for their intensity or their absurdist comedy, and in the hope - realised most years, but probably not this year - of following from the outset a performer or two whose subsequent career in music will interest me. The music industry is mostly managed commercial fluff and was no different before the show began, and I couldn't care less who goes on to sell records except that when there's someone whose music I want to hear I hope they'll have success enough to let them continue recording it.

I'd better abstain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an entertainment show. That's it. I rarely care who wins, I like to watch it because it's easy viewing.
  • JavarnJohnsonJavarnJohnson Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mixture of 1 and 4.