F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2015 Season

D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With testing well under way, its about time I start this thread :)

BBC F1
– Suzi Perry (Presenter)
– Ben Edwards (TV Commentator)
– David Coulthard (TV Commentator + Pundit)
– Allan McNish (5 Live Commentator + Pundit)
– Eddie Jordan (Pundit)
– Lee McKenzie (Pitlane + Inside F1)
– Tom Clarkson (Pitlane)

BBC will screen…
1) LIVE coverage of 10 race weekends: Practice (BBC Two), Qualifying, Race and Forum (BBC Red Button)
– March 29th: Malaysia
– April 19th: Bahrain
– June 7th: Canada
– July 5th: Britain
– July 26th: Hungary
– August 23rd: Belgium
– September 27th: Japan
– October 11th: Russia
– November 15th: Brazil
– November 29th: Abu Dhabi

2) Highlights of 10 race weekends: Qualifying and Race
– March 15th: Australia (afternoon – 120 minutes)
– April 12th: China (afternoon – 120 minutes)
– May 10th: Spain (evening – 90 minutes)
– May 24th: Monaco (evening – 90 minutes)
– June 21st: Austria (evening – 90 minutes)
– July 19th: Germany (evening – 90 minutes)
– September 6th: Italy (evening – 90 minutes)
– September 20th: Singapore (evening – 90 minutes)
– October 25th: USA (late night – 90 minutes)
– November 1st: Mexico (late night – 90 minutes)

BBC 5 Live F1
– James Allen (Commentator)
– Jack Nicholls (Commentator)
– Jennie Gow (Pitlane)

BBC F1 is…
– available to watch/listen to again for up to 7 days on BBC iPlayer
– available to watch live online for the ten races that they cover
– available to listen live online for every race in 2015

Sky Sports F1
– Simon Lazenby (Presenter – Main)
– Natalie Pinkham (Presenter – Magazine + Pitlane)
– David Croft (Commentator)
– Martin Brundle (Commentator + Pundit)
– Anthony Davidson (Pundit)
– Damon Hill (Pundit)
– Johnny Herbert (Pundit)
– Bruno Senna (Pundit)
– Ted Kravitz (Pitlane)

Sky Sports F1 will screen…
– every Qualifying and Race LIVE uninterrupted advert free
– every F1 Practice session LIVE
– The F1 Show every Friday from March 6th
– GP2 and GP3 LIVE uninterrupted advert free
– along with a Legends programme and extra programming outside of race weekends
– interviews and other tidbits on Sky Sports News with Rachel Brookes and Craig Slater reporters

Sky Sports F1 is…
– available to people with Sky on channel 407 who have the Sports package, or the legacy HD Pack pre-dating April 2013
– available to people with Virgin Media on channel 507 who have the Sky Sports package (HD is on channel 517)
– not available to people with Freeview or BT Vision
– available on Sky Go with the relevant subscription
– available on Xbox One/360 for Sky customers with an Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
– available on Now TV for £9.99 per day

Other bits
– The BBC and Sky Sports deal is 2012 through to 2018 inclusive
– BBC’s theme tune is Fleetwood Mac – The Chain
– Sky’s theme tune is Alistair Griffin – Just Drive

Archive
2002 to 2007
- part 1 (March 2002 to June 2003)
- part 2 (June 2003 to May 2004)
- part 3 (May 2004 to April 2005)
- part 4 (April 2005 to November 2005)
- part 5 (November 2005 to June 2006)
- part 6 (June 2006 to March 2007)
- part 7 (March 2007 to January 2008)
- part 8 (January 2008 to March 2008)

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3

- part 1 -- unavailable
- part 2
- part 3

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3
- part 4

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3
- part 4
- part 5

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3
- part 4
- part 5

- part 1
- part 2
- part 3

- part 1

Comments

• D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No major changes on the F1 side of things, everything is status quo. Natalie Pinkham looks like she is staying with SSF1 throughout the course of 2015, whether she'll remain in London or not for the flyaways or not, we shall see.

No idea what's happening with BT's MotoGP team. Abi Griffiths has tweeted about it here but don't know if they will still be alternating between her and Craig Doyle.
  • hobnob_monsterhobnob_monster Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has Verstappen switched to a Belgian racing licence or is Sky's grapic wrong ?
  • Paul555Paul555 Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need Xbox live gold anymore these days, only a silver subscription
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted's development corner is great isn't it :D It really is the type of thing that would only really find a home on a dedicated F1 channel.

If people say "oh all the cars look the same" then show them that. Yeah on first glance they all look same-ish but the detail is where the differences are most impressive, in a way.
  • aberboyaberboy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So has Verstappen switched to a Belgian racing licence or is Sky's grapic wrong ?

He is Belgian; but races under a Dutch super licence. Probably a mistake on the graphic.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decent coverage of the tests, only spoilt at times by Craig's stupid questions and summarising.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Tag. Surprised to see such a big BBC presence at the first test
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the footage, Stef - great stuff. :)
  • Ellie666Ellie666 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has Natalie actually confirmed her return?
  • FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I'm torn over Marussia's deinal really.
    One on hand I'm annoyed that Marussia's entry has been blocked partly due to financial reasons (i.e. the smaller teams want Marussia's money), but on safety/procedural grounds at least I personally don't think Marussia should have been granted an entry. I mean running a 2014 car in 2015 is just wrong, plus Marussia's car was slow even in 2014, so how much more off the pace will it be in 2015? I doubt they would have even made it past the 107% rule at each race. No-one wants another mobile chicane on the grid. If we're going down this route we may as well allow a revived HRT in with their 2012 car. I'm amazed at what sort of profits Marussia's backers think they can gain from running an out of date car at the very back of the grid each race, if they were allowed in...

IMO Marussia are far better off recouping & preparing for a 2016 entry with a 2016 car. I mean they've been an entrant before so it's unlikely they'd get refused an entry for that year. Haas will be a good barometer for this approach as they're a new team that has also deferred their entry for a year, rather than entering as soon as possible like Caterham, HRT and Marussia did in 2010.
  • callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would some kind soul tell me how I watch F1 on my xbox 360? I've got the Lagacy pack and watch both BBC and Sky coverage, but sometimes the dish ain't great and I lose signal, watching through the Xbox I assume is through wifi.

Basically I'm :confused::confused::confused:
  • Wokka WokkaWokka Wokka Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Am looking forward to seeing as many races and qualifying sessions as I can on BBC.

Sun 24 May will be an exciting day - Monaco GP on Sky Sports day pass then the Indy 500 on BT Sport, race start time is 12 PM ET/ 5 PM UK time (with the last day of the EPL on day pass in between)!!!
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    IMO Marussia are far better off recouping & preparing for a 2016 entry with a 2016 car. I mean they've been an entrant before so it's unlikely they'd get refused an entry for that year. Haas will be a good barometer for this approach as they're a new team that has also deferred their entry for a year, rather than entering as soon as possible like Caterham, HRT and Marussia did in 2010.
    The problem with that is that if Manor don't race this year they don't get there prize money for finishing 9th in the constructors championship last season & it was apparently the guarantee that they would get that prize money if they raced this year which ensured they were able to come out of administration.

If they don't race & don't get that prize money, There dead.

Additionally they need to be out there this year to show that there still a viable team to garner further investment. Its different for Haas because he already has the investment, He already has facilities & backers lined up helped by his many years of racing in other categories.
    Forum Member
    Additionally they need to be out there this year to show that there still a viable team to garner further investment. Its different for Haas because he already has the investment, He already has facilities & backers lined up helped by his many years of racing in other categories.

Surely though Manor have had plenty of experience racing in other categories etc? Also surely an investor is likely to get a better return on their investment by helping to fund a better equipped team for 2016, than one trundling around the back using last years car in 2015?
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »
    would some kind soul tell me how I watch F1 on my xbox 360? I've got the Lagacy pack and watch both BBC and Sky coverage, but sometimes the dish ain't great and I lose signal, watching through the Xbox I assume is through wifi.

Yes, Sky and iPlayer on Xbox is through the internet. Going by what you said, the Sky F1 channel should be available on your Sky Xbox app. The dissaspointment starts in that it's all poor SD quality.
  • VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callmediva wrote: »

Yeah it does use WiFi (if that is how you connect your Xbox to the internet).

To use Sky Go on your Xbox you will need to have a Sky Go Extra subscription.
    If you have Sky Multiroom/Multiscreen you will already have Extra.
    If you do not have Multiroom/Multiscreen you will not be able to view it on your Xbox.
    When Microsoft stopped needing you to have an XBox Live Gold Subscription to use the online app (like Sky Go), Sky made it so you need a Sky Go Extra subscription to use Sky Go. Basically so using a games console in a second room wasn't a lot cheaper than their multiroom service.

The picture isn't that great either, and if you do anything else online it usually knocks the video quality down. Although it has been a couple of years since I last used Sky Go on a console, not even on my PS4 because I don't have the necessary subscription.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to laugh though, Force India were one of the midfield teams last season shouting at the lack of help from the big teams and talking about possible boycotts of races to prove points...and now there they are as the "bigger" team helping snuff out a smaller team.

As ever, all that "united team front" thing is only ever true until the point when it becomes advantageous for one/some of them to take an advantage from it.

Piranha club still remains
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    You've got to laugh though, Force India were one of the midfield teams last season shouting at the lack of help from the big teams and talking about possible boycotts of races to prove points...and now there they are as the "bigger" team helping snuff out a smaller team.

As ever, all that "united team front" thing is only ever true until the point when it becomes advantageous for one/some of them to take an advantage from it.

According to Maurice Hamilton, if Marussia's money was split between all teams, it would give them $3 million each, which isn't much in the grand scheme of things, so he comes to the conclusion that it's not *all* about money. I'd rather a grid was made up of 18 current cars, rather than have an extra 2 out of date ones trundling around getting in people's way at the back... It's... messy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FOM Fan wrote: »
    I'd rather a grid was made up of 18 current cars, rather than have an extra 2 out of date ones trundling around getting in people's way at the back... It's... messy.

It's a fair point, but...there's always cars trundling round at the back getting in people's way. Some of the most popular teams in the sport's history have been the cars trundling round at the back getting in people's way.

Anyway, ultimately, Marussia's plight is not Force India's fault. - they're in the mess they're in for other reasons. But as ever you cannot rely on the teams to work together for a positive outcome.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fair point, but...there's always cars trundling round at the back getting in people's way. Some of the most popular teams in the sport's history have been the cars trundling round at the back getting in people's way.

Anyway, ultimately, Marussia's plight is not Force India's fault. - they're in the mess they're in for other reasons. But as ever you cannot rely on the teams to work together for a positive outcome.

Going forward If Force India hit trouble, they wouldn't have much of a case requesting sport from other teams.
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member

I suspect Force India have been made a scapegoat in all of this. I read somewhere that only Mercedes and Ferrari agreed to their request.

The prize money should really be dished out at the end of a successful season, not come in part way through the next one.
    Forum Member
    I suspect Force India have been made a scapegoat in all of this. I read somewhere that only Mercedes and Ferrari agreed to their request.

The prize money should really be dished out at the end of a successful season, not come in part way through the next one.
    I think maybe it's an attempt to stop one-off entries, like a billionare forking out oodles for development etc. then winning it in their only year then pissing off again.

The less said about my views on personal vanity teams like Force India (on the part of Vijay Mallaya) the better lol.

Apparently Grahame Lowden is now saying that in early January, the strategy group consented to them running a 2014 car for 2015, until they can get their 2015 car ready.
    But Marussia claims it was granted permission by the F1 Stratgey Group on January 5 to run a 2014 car complying with all the 2015 technical regulations with the exception of Articles 3.7.9, 15.4.3, 15.4.4 and 16.2, and has confirmed it has a car that can do so. It is also planning to run its 2015 car as soon as possible.
    I don't know what to think now.... Honestly as long as they're not spending the entire season in a 2014 car (which IMO I will still personally consider illegal, just not of the performance-enhancing illegal kind lol).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Possibly. They're the only ones so far to admit their part. Accounts seem to differ on the voting rules, but if it was simply a motion that required unanimous support it seems more than possible that other teams agreed with Force India but were happy to let them be the ones to kill it, and then pretend that they did or didn't have a specific opinion either way - and even if they did, look, it doesn't matter because FI killed it. So yeah, they could be scapegoats. The statement from Fernley saying something along the lines of "it wasn't about money but yeah there was a financial element to it" isn't the world's greatest defence, though.

If nothing else, if we're only going to have 18 cars this season, I'd like to see them at least alter qualifying. They'll go for 4 out in each of Q1 and Q2 before the top 10 shootout, but I think it would be more interesting knocking 5 out in each of the first two and then having a top 8 shootout. Better balanced that way in my opinion. Won't happen, but there you go.
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seems a fair point.
This discussion has been closed.