Options

EE: What would you do?

SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 51,007
Forum Member
If you had been a member of the Beale family tonight and had discovered Bobby killed Lucy what would you have done?

Kept quiet to protect Bobby. Nothing will bring Lucy back, but knowing what happened is enough now.

Reported it to the police. Regardless of age and circumstances Bobby must be punished for his actions. Lucy deserves justice.

Poll requested. :)

If you were part of the Beale family what would you do? 2 votes

Keep the secret and protect Bobby
50%
EveT1991 1 vote
Report it to the police. Lucy deserves justice.
50%
Iggulden 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't hand Bobby in but if I was Ian I'd want some questions answering from Jane - like why she, the woman who supposedly loves him, let him torment himself over what happened.. why she didn't think to tell him that night or in the days following?
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    I'd do the right thing and send them to prison. That way, they get less of a sentence, and they don't have to live with what they have done later in their life.
  • Options
    THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    id string both of them from the nearest lampost with sighns hanging from there necks
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Jane did after was unforgivable.
    She gets away with it by guilt tripping Ian over Bobby.
    The least he could have done was tell Jane to take the boy and leave.
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was in Peter or Ian's situation I would grass Bobby up. The fact that he hit her on purpose and sent Beth the music box as a present means he is one sick individual. I can see easily him turning into the next Nick Cotton and killing numerous people.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd report it to the police. Bobby may well end up coming out damaged from prison but if he knows his family will cover up this for him (yes, I think he knows full well what happened that night), he'll believe he's capable of...er, getting away with murder. I'd also do it for Lucy. She deserves something after her joyride courtesy of Jane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    If I was in Peter or Ian's situation I would grass Bobby up. The fact that he hit her on purpose and sent Beth the music box as a present means he is one sick individual. I can see easily him turning into the next Nick Cotton and killing numerous people.

Good point, they need to start creating a Nick Cotton of the future now. :D
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hand in Bobby you cant protect someone who murdered your own family member plus the truth always comes out in the end and that would mean the whole family would go down as well for covering for the murderer
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was my child id do the time myself
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not having a child of my own I would like to think i would do the right thing by telling the appropriate authorities and letting them decide how best to deal with what had happened BUT I don't know if I would do the right thing........

I am trying to put myself in Janes shoes and it's very hard, she desperately wanted to protect her 10 year old son BUT he has killed someone, ok, it was an accident (I think) but he still took a life, his sisters life

I think that the police should be informed, no matter how hard the situation is for the Beales, justice needs to be served, Lucy is dead because Bobby whacked her around the head with a music box

What if he does it again to some poor child at school or in the street? He needs to know that his actions have consequences
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have protected Bobby, Lucy can't be brought back
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I would have protected Bobby, Lucy can't be brought back

That's right but for me, the words "but Bobby is at least partially responsible for that" always follow. There has to be some justice for that IMO.
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »

But if they grassed him up then after Tuesday's episode Ian wouldn't have any of his children with him.
  • Options
    EveT1991EveT1991 Posts: 12,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would Ian have protected Bobby and got Jane to take Lucy's body to walford common?
  • Options
    R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
    Forum Member
    It's a very thought provoking question and a difficult one as well.

I would have told the truth from the start.

Firstly, I'd have phoned an ambulance and the police as soon as I found Lucy's body on the floor.

Then I'd have spoken to Bobby and asked him exactly what happened and promised him that everything will be sorted out and that it was a mistake and he didn't mean any harm, but he has accidentally hurt his sister and she needs medical attention.

I would have woke Ian, Denise and Cindy up and told them everything I knew and explained what Bobby had told me.

Once the police was there, I'd have told them exactly what I was told by Bobby and exactly what happened when I came over to the house.

I wouldn't have touched the body and certainly wouldn't have dumped it in the woods and covered it all up - son or not!

I would have tried my best to support him and assure him that everything will be alright, but he shouldn't have been so aggressive towards Lucy.
  • Options
    Poplife04Poplife04 Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I would cover for Bobby, I don't think he killed her in cold blood, it was a sibling row that ended badly. Jane is going to be tormented enough.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd protect him. He doesn't know and he's young and doesn't need that kind of burden to overshadow him his whole life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I'd do the right thing and send them to prison. That way, they get less of a sentence, and they don't have to live with what they have done later in their life.

The guilt doesn't just disappear even after serving time, unless you're a certain sort of character lol.

Funny how people think Bobby should go down but Ronnie should not. What she did was worse and definitely more intentional.

Good episode and it has us discussing what we would do in such a situation. Brave from the producers.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I'd report it to the police. Bobby may well end up coming out damaged from prison but if he knows his family will cover up this for him (yes, I think he knows full well what happened that night), he'll believe he's capable of...er, getting away with murder. I'd also do it for Lucy. She deserves something after her joyride courtesy of Jane.

11 year old's don't go to prison! they go to secure units that are like home from home, for a few pampered years.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    I'd protect him. He doesn't know and he's young and doesn't need that kind of burden to overshadow him his whole life.

Interesting attitude. Imagine taking that attitude in real life with Venables and Thompson, who probably just thought they'd use little Jamie as a toy, cos they 'didn't know' they were actually murdering him.

But of course this is just a soap. And I said yesterday that neither Ian or Jane would tell the police, they'd keep it in the family.
    Turned out to be a good guess.

Ian will now just worry for years that Bobby will kill someone else cos he wasn't punished for what he knows he did to Lucy so it wouldn't cross his mind what he did was wrong and he can't do it again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2p wrote: »
    The guilt doesn't just disappear even after serving time, unless you're a certain sort of character lol.

Funny how people think Bobby should go down but Ronnie should not. What she did was worse and definitely more intentional.

Good episode and it has us discussing what we would do in such a situation. Brave from the producers.

That's a very good point indeed. Ronnie is held as some sort of hero for murdering in cold blood, whereas sone on here are baying for Bobby's blood.

I don't believe Bobby did kill her deliberately and it was a sibling row which ended in the worst possible way. As we didn't get to see the exact events play out on screen (which I guess they maybe didn't want a child doing) viewers and the Beales will only ever be able to guess what EXACTLY happened before Jane arrived. It's slightly like the Belle/Gemma story in Emmerdale where an argument ended in the worst possible way, but not through premeditated action.

That said in years to come could Bobby go the same way as Steven and Ben? Will Peter have to come back to be the one to sort him out?