Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 18)

SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
Forum Member
✭✭✭
ftakeith wrote: »
its great to hear champion again

I hope he is used on live european games and replace Darren fletcher as 2nd choice commentator
Fletcher is a better presenter

A BT line up containing Darke, Drury, Champion & Rae would be really impressive, it only leaves Fletcher as the weak link. Although I do think Fletcher could improve by talking less.

Continuation of: Football Commentators Thread (Part 17)

Comments

• Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely surprised at Champion turning up on BT. He's busy on Saturday afternoons, but is otherwise unoccupied so he'd be ideal for one European competition or the other.

If they follow Sky's lead and have one commentator per English team in the CL a quad of Darke, Fletcher, Champion and (presumably) Drury is 3/4 of the way to being a decent lineup. Rae might also be in the mix if Celtic don't qualify.
  • Options
    SteveMartinSteveMartin Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Champion is a freelance commentator and especially at the time of the season BT are clearly in the market for freelancers. That's all we can say at this stage. He clearly won't be doing any Premier League games for BT because they're all on Saturdays and Champion has a regular gig on Saturdays, but elsewhere, maybe, maybe not.

Yes he has his regular Saturday gig, and seemingly his regular Sunday world feed gig, but it would be fantastic to hear him on the CL/EL coverage.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a slightly related note, it's a bit odd the channel DOG is at the top and the score at the bottom.
  • Options
    Mr NewshoundMr Newshound Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth remembering this isn't Jon Champion's first outing on BT Sport. He's previously made a fleeting appearance on BT's U21 Premier League coverage...

Video at https://mobile.twitter.com/btsportfootball/status/585121767628247040
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    The channel bug in the upper-third also means there's a big blank space in the lower third bugs, which looks crap (shame because BT's graphics are classy)

JC has commentated on a few foreign league games too for BT
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channel bug in the upper-third also means there's a big blank space in the lower third bugs, which looks crap (shame because BT's graphics are classy)

That being the case, it may *well* be the case that this was an error tonight. My thinking is that the channel playout operation deals with the channel bugs (because there are different ones for the SD and HD channels), whilst every other graphic comes from the match OB. The Europa League graphics are usually all on the top (when it's within the UEFA phase of the competition, that is mandated) - thus I expect that playout were not told that this particular match was a BT graphics operation and thus the channel bug should be at the bottom. Them seeing 'Europa League' meant that the channel bug was placed at the top as per usual.

I bet that's what it was.
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A poster over on TV Forum says that C5's Football League Tonight is being produced at Sky Studios - considering it is supposed to have an audience element I wonder will they just do a quick turnaround with the SNF set?

Although that is presuming SNF is sticking with the same format for its final season.
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Stuttgart v Man City- Dan O'Hagan
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,543
    Forum Member
    Sports Illustrated podcast interview with Ian Darke.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/07/30/si-media-podcast-ian-darke
  • Options
    Jonny_Bentley1Jonny_Bentley1 Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Telegraph reports that BT are in pole position to take La Liga rights for the next three years of Sky Sports after the latter pulled out of the bidding process. It means Sky will be left with only the Eredivisie for their European club football coverage while BT would have the main six league's across Europe (including the BPL).
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...ky-Sports.html
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 1st August - BT Sport Europe

2. Bundesliga
    VfL Bochum v MSV Duisburg - Dan Mason

It's an apt way for me to make my first post in the new thread by posting the details of the first live game on BT Sport's new channel at the start of a new season. For those wondering, there was no mention of BT Sport winning rights to La Liga at the start of the broadcast if anyone was expecting a midday announcement.
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://twitter.com/honigstein

matt smith begins on bt sport for german super cup final tonight
  • Options
    CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    @richardajkeys: Interesting that Guardiola has publicly refused to commit himself to Bayern? Congrats BT on stealing La Liga. Why and how?
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Cologne v Stoke City

Premier Sports HD - Alan Fountain
  • Options
    foxintheboxfoxinthebox Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftakeith wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/honigstein

matt smith begins on bt sport for german super cup final tonight

Great news, it would be good if Matt was a regular presenter of the European leagues on a weekend
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 1st August - Sky Sports 1

Live Scottish Premiership: Celtic v Ross County

David Tanner presenting from pitchside at Celtic Park alongside Charlie Mulgrew and Neil McCann

Commentators: Ian Crocker and Andy Walker

Reporter: Luke Shanley
  • Options
    neilwatsonneilwatson Posts: 31,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women's FA Cup Final

Chelsea v Notts County

Presented by Jacqui Oatley from Wembley with Kelly Smith and Lucy Bronze

Commentary by Steve Bower and Sue Smith
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Manish has announced on twitter that he will be hosting the Community Shield highlights on Match of the Day.

On a side note, it is good to have started a part to the thread, good timing with the season about to get underway
  • Options
    neilwatsonneilwatson Posts: 31,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neilwatson wrote: »
    Women's FA Cup Final

Chelsea v Notts County

Presented by Jacqui Oatley from Wembley with Kelly Smith and Lucy Bronze

Commentary by Steve Bower and Sue Smith

Eilidh Barbour doing interviews
  • Options
    D4N1EL11D4N1EL11 Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Looking at matt smiths Twitter he lists BBC as one of the channels he works for. What work has he done for them of late?
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    D4N1EL11 wrote: »
    Looking at matt smiths Twitter he lists BBC as one of the channels he works for. What work has he done for them of late?

I dont think anything yet, i would predict that he may show up on Final Score around at the grounds or maybe acting as an interviewer for live BBC men's matches
  • Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,092
    Forum Member
    D4N1EL11 wrote: »

He was on Five Live regularly for a while.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Setting my recordings for next Saturday, and can't help but see that Soccer Saturday is also to be on Sky 1. Now, I have no interest in watching it, but will this be a regular thing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 1st August - BT Sport Europe

Live DFL-Supercup: VfL Wolfsburg v Bayern Munchen

Matt Smith presenting alongside Owen Hargreaves and Raphael Honigstein

Commentators: Adam Summerton and Kevin Davies

It's Matt Smith's BT Sport debut tonight - I wonder if hosting their coverage of Saturday evening European football could become a regular gig for him? Personally I don't see him being used on their Sunday afternoon European Football Show, Lynsey Hipgrave (afternoons) and James Richardson (evenings) are well ensconced in those roles and recently Matt has been hosting talkSPORT's Sunday 6-8pm show The Press Pass on a consistent basis (he's scheduled to do so tomorrow as well, so it's starting to look increasingly likely that this could become a regular gig for him). BT Sport's Saturday night European football host Paul Dempsey has started getting commentary work, so perhaps he might look to concentrate on commentating at the weekend - especially with the increase in games should they secure La Liga rights - opening up a regular position for Matt.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New York City FC v Montreal Impact (Major League Soccer)

Callum Williams and Stewart Robson for Eurosport 2 International.

This is definitely a word feed, er, feed, as there was total silence from the time the MLS 'sting' began right until kick off, with no mention of the channel at all.
This discussion has been closed.