Options

True population of the UK is probably 80 million+

Forever ChangesForever Changes Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
I came across this old piece from 2007

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/city-eye-facts-on-a-plate-our-population-is-at-least-77-million-395428.html

I've long suspected that the census is a hopelessly inadequate way of determining population numbers or demographic statistics. As well as the supermarkets, I've also read that utility companies estimate the population to be far higher than the 'official' 65 million based on water usage etc.

I wonder at what number the UK would be considered 'full'?

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if they are using water useage as a benchmark one wonders if they are including the amount of water lost each day that the water companies hush up caused by leaks all over the place .

As for when we are full, possibly when they concrete over the last bit of greenery or cut down the last tree, we are a long way off that and hopefully it will remain that way, we may have plenty of spare land but we do not have the resources to become anywhere near full.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if they are using water useage as a benchmark one wonders if they are including the amount of water lost each day that the water companies hush up caused by leaks all over the place .

I don't know, but I would put more credence on population estimates based on water/energy usage and food consumption than on a deeply flawed once-a-decade survey that many won't bother to fill in, or fill in accurately and truthfully.

of course the politicians won't admit that because it would raise uncomfortable questions for which they have no answers to, so the population question will remain an elephant in the room

and bear in mind that article is from 7 years ago

As for when we are full, possibly when they concrete over the last bit of greenery or cut down the last tree, we are a long way off that and hopefully it will remain that way, we may have plenty of spare land but we do not have the resources to become anywhere near full.

we hardly have 'plenty of spare land'. Australia has plenty of spare land
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does it matter?

If we actually have 100 million or 50 million we're still using whatever we're using in the way of services, resources etc. What exactly would we change?

we hardly have 'plenty of spare land'. Australia has plenty of spare land

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because it hasn't been paved over doesn't mean it's spare. There's wildlife and environmental issues to consider. That's why I prefer we focused on creating densely populated cities, building up like New York as opposed to spreading out everywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Why does it matter?

If we actually have 100 million or 50 million we're still using whatever we're using in the way of services, resources etc. What exactly would we change?

an accurate account of the population and future forecast of pop growth allows the govt to plan public services spending etc, among many other things. I'd say it's very important to know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an accurate account of the population and future forecast of pop growth allows the govt to plan public services spending etc, among many other things. I'd say it's very important to know.

Yeah sorry I'm not explaining very well. Forgive the long winded example...

Say we thought we had 100 people and for that needed 10 doctors. We plan to have 150 people next year so recruit another 5 doctors. We then find out we actually has 120 people all the time (20 were hidden because our census was wrong).

Now when the next year comes around we've got 150 people we know about and 20+5 we don't know about so totals 175, and we have 15 doctors.

But those 10 Doctors were actually supporting 120 not 100, so 15 will cover the 175

What I'm trying to get at is as long as we stay wrong and compare two wrongs doesn't it balance out? I will confess I'm a bit tired and might be missing something obvious here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can sort of see what you're saying but the disparity may not be consistent, it may be accelerating.

I suspect that up until the last 2-3 decades the estimated pop figures were probably close to the reality. what the writer of that article and others are claiming is that the estimate is likely way off now, and I'd specualate that that's happened in the last couple of decades due to various factors.

in any case having an accurate figure is pretty important as is measuring growth and estimating future growth. Remember Labour's infamous 'approx 13,000' will emigrate here from East Europe estimate? Infrastructure and public services become greatly overstretched if you simply have no way of forecasting future population growth
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »
    Just because it hasn't been paved over doesn't mean it's spare. There's wildlife and environmental issues to consider. That's why I prefer we focused on creating densely populated cities, building up like New York as opposed to spreading out everywhere.

building on and redeveloping brownfield sites is always better than paving over the countryside, but very densely populated cities are not nice places to live in - I don't think so anyway, and our major cities are already incredibly dense and overcrowded
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can sort of see what you're saying but the disparity may not be consistent, it may be accelerating.

I suspect that up until the last 2-3 decades the estimated pop figures were probably close to the reality. what the writer of that article and others are claiming is that the estimate is likely way off now, and I'd specualate that that's happened in the last couple of decades due to various factors.

Okay, makes sense now - cheers
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/city-eye-facts-on-a-plate-our-population-is-at-least-77-million-395428.html

I've long suspected that the census is a hopelessly inadequate way of determining population numbers or demographic statistics. As well as the supermarkets, I've also read that utility companies estimate the population to be far higher than the 'official' 65 million based on water usage etc.

A 7 year old link to start an anti immigration thread? Are you that desperate?
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The 80 million estimate is highly suspect and from a unnamed source.
    Based on what we eat, one big supermarket chain reckons there are 80 million people living in the UK. The demand for food is a reliable indicato

The supermarket in question was privately lobbying the Competition Commission to let it grow its market share. The argu- ment, reasonably enough, was that the market was far bigger than the regulator realised, so expanding the network was fair.

A 77 million estimate is also from a unnamed source
    A major, non-commercial agricultural institution reckons there are 77 million of us in the UK.
    as Sir Richard Branson says, you can have all the money in the world but you can only eat onelunch and one dinner.

Yeah after all its not like the population of the UK is getting fatter:D
    And its not like a lot of food in the UK gets thrown away by consumers and by shops:D

There is no estimate in the article based on utility company consumption figures. But even if there were arguably we have more gadgets using electricity and more gadgets using water. Maybe we use more as more people are at home with an ageing population or maybe if we are eating more the resulting larger people also use more water, electricity, gas. etc.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    building on and redeveloping brownfield sites is always better than paving over the countryside, but very densely populated cities are not nice places to live in - I don't think so anyway, and our major cities are already incredibly dense and overcrowded
    I would rather we had densely populated cities and preserved countryside though of course I'm also in favour of developing brownfield sites.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member

I wonder how accurate this article is.

Has the fact that people tend to eat a lot more per meal than in the past been taken into account and that this tends to go up and down depending on the state of the economy.

As for water consumption that some people on this thread has mentioned. I would have thought that this would be affected by the fact that most people in the past would have a bath once or (at most) twice a week. However now people have a bath or shower at least every other day if not every day.

As for electricity consumption which has been mentioned. Each person now uses far more electricity than in the past.

As for the argument about the amount of spare space in the UK.

What should be taken into account is that much of Scotland & Wales are made up of mountains which makes is hard to put large numbers of people in those areas.

As for England there are large areas which are also very hilly (The Lake District, The peak District, The Yorkshire Dales, The Yorkshire Moors, Sailsbury Plain, Dartmoor, Exmoor etc) Which also makes is difficult to put large numbers of people in those areas.

In any case I don't think that it would be a good idea to cover up more farmland with houses and so increase our reliance on imported food.

Then we will have the problems of water supply. The larger the population the more water that will be needed. The South of England has had problems with water shortages in the past and will have in the future.

The idea that Britain can have a constantly increasing population is not a sensible proposition.

However I question the calculations in the article concerning the assumptions it is making.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do not know why new houses need building anyway, well not ones to sell. Looking at our local paper there are pages and pages of houses for sale, some of them been in there for weeks, months even. Get all these sold first and think about building new ones. That is unless they are being built to rent as social housing.
  • Options
    DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the true figure lies somewhere in between the official and the estimated. Pressure on the national health and welfare tell the true story, once this story unfolds both sadly will be unsustainable.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not going to be full, but the UK does depend on being part of a world with a far, far lower average density than it has by itself.

Other than that, it depends on how cramped you want to live, and how much you want your water allowance for the day to be.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    "There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers" - Don Van Vliet.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Yes that far right anti immigration paper the Independent?:D

You could address the issues - does the census really pick up all those living in HMOS or 20 to a house in east London. Maybe food and water consumption might well provide a more accurate figure than people filling out census forms - or not if they aren't here legally.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wonder what the true population is seven years later?

I noticed an MP stood up at PMQ's, (I was watching a repeat on the Parliament channel), and asked Cameron about the numbers of people settling here. He then changed the question to numbers of migrants, but permanent settlement is the real issue.

Breaking the link between settlement and how long someone has lived here legally is key to this problem, that and controlling the welfare the state provides to family's with more than two children is key here.
  • Options
    worzilworzil Posts: 4,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree but what constitutes a brown field site?
    Near where I live a school closed down now they are not only building on the land occupied by the school but also the playing fields that have farmland on two sides and a country lane on another side and the fourth side has a children's play area.
    There was also a market garden some years ago that was left derelict for the statutory five years so the owner could claim it was a brownfield site.
    I am told the houses on the school fields will be up market and out of the reach of most locals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes that far right anti immigration paper the Independent?:D

You could address the issues - does the census really pick up all those living in HMOS or 20 to a house in east London. Maybe food and water consumption might well provide a more accurate figure than people filling out census forms - or not if they aren't here legally.

the census is grossly inadequate. It relies on everybody filling it and filling it in honestly and accurately. Even though you're legally supposed to fill it in, the threats of fines are empty and almost nobody is prosecuted for failing to do it.

I dutifully filled mine in, but I'd bet many didn't bother and just binned it, or didn't even know it was mandatory - especially immigrant and lower-educated communities. We live in an age when social responsibility has gone out the window.

and of course it wouldn't take into account people here illegally
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thread about UK population = anti-immigration.

how feeble. stick to the Corbyn threads
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no EVIDENCE that the UK's population was as of 2007, 80million or anything close to it. A journalist writes one unreferenced article and never writes about it again. This about a subject that if it were true would be a political, social, economic etc bombshell.
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    There is no EVIDENCE that the UK's population was as of 2007, 80million or anything close to it. A journalist writes one unreferenced article and never writes about it again. This about a subject that if it were true would be a political, social, economic etc bombshell.

Realistically no one knows how many people are in this country. We have no idea how many people are here illegally, there are various estimates but there is no evidence that each of those estimates has any accuracy. A supermarket or water board estimate on food, lavatory rolls or water usage is as good as any other in estimating a quantity that is unmeasured. What we do know though is that there are people who are in this country with no legal right to be here, to work, or to draw on services.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »

yes it would be a bombshell which is why the govt sweeps it under the carpet and is happy to rely on the extremely unreliable census data. Population has always been a thorny subject that TPTB don't wish to address

as the poster above says there's no real way to know the true figure - this is largely beause of woefully inadequate/non-existant border recordings of who enters and leaves the country - visa overstayers etc, for many years now. Birth/death rates are likely recorded accurately.

consumption of goods and services imply that the official population figure is very likely a significant underestimate, although of course nothing is certain