Options

How easy is it to get Norwegian FM and DAB in the Scottish Highlands?

Alex CatorAlex Cator Posts: 96
Forum Member
Hello all,
Just out of interest, how easy is it to get Norwegian FM and DAB signals in the Scottish Highlands? The NRK nationals from Bokn have been received by a Bulgarian DXer on a ferry near Fair Isle using a Sangean ATS-909 under flat conditions. I am unsure if the reception from Norway would be better there, or on one of the eastern Cairngorms, the latter due to the high altitude as Fair Isle is nearer to Norway.
On the Suffolk coast at Dunwich, using my Grundig G5, I have received German stations on FM under flat conditions, from the likes of Steinkimmen, Linz, Langenberg, Teutoburg Forest and many others. I have also received stations from Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Belgium, France and even the Wenvoe transmitter in Wales.
The same Bulgarian DXer ('fmdxbg' on YouTube) who received Norwegian stations on a ferry near Fair Isle received nothing from over 300 km at the summit of Snowdon, with the same equipment, which is much higher in altitude than East Anglia or a ferry at sea level, despite the distance from near Fair Isle to Bokn Island in Norway is in the 400-500 km range. The distance from Dunwich to these German transmitters is also in the 400-500 km range, the furthest being Teutoburg Forest at 493 km.

Alex

Comments

• Options
    LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Cator wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Just out of interest, how easy is it to get Norwegian FM and DAB signals in the Scottish Highlands? The NRK nationals from Bokn have been received by a Bulgarian DXer on a ferry near Fair Isle using a Sangean ATS-909 under flat conditions. I am unsure if the reception from Norway would be better there, or on one of the eastern Cairngorms, the latter due to the high altitude as Fair Isle is nearer to Norway.
    On the Suffolk coast at Dunwich, using my Grundig G5, I have received German stations on FM under flat conditions, from the likes of Steinkimmen, Linz, Langenberg, Teutoburg Forest and many others. I have also received stations from Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Belgium, France and even the Wenvoe transmitter in Wales.
    The same Bulgarian DXer ('fmdxbg' on YouTube) who received Norwegian stations on a ferry near Fair Isle received nothing from over 300 km at the summit of Snowdon, with the same equipment, which is much higher in altitude than East Anglia or a ferry at sea level, despite the distance from near Fair Isle to Bokn Island in Norway is in the 400-500 km range. The distance from Dunwich to these German transmitters is also in the 400-500 km range, the furthest being Teutoburg Forest at 493 km.

Alex
    I suspect you will only really receive them during appropriate times of Tropospheric Ducting. Scotland is not physically particularly close to scandanavia.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shetland to Bergen is 200 miles. You *might* be able to recieve them most of the time with an appropiate directional rooftop aerial and good tuner?

Isn't Norway about to dump FM anyway?