Options

Aldi 4K TV for £299.99

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It has the usual 3-year guarantee, but the refresh rate is only 60Hz. How important is this in the real world, rather than to the techie-trainspotter types?

www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-13-sep/product-detail/ps/p/40-4k-ultra-hd-tv/

Comments

• Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does tend to make motion less blurry on LED TVs. I'm not sure whether that's the main issue though. A Blaupunkt/Bush/Techwood or other supermarket/no name 40" TV will be around the £220-£250. Most of those will be 50 or 60Hz refresh as well and have just a 12 month warranty. This is the same screen size and with an extra 2 yrs warranty and it's 4K. How many other corners besides higher refresh rate do you think might have been cut to pay for the 4K screen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that the onboard sound isn't up there with the best, but that's no problem if you already have a sound bar. I noticed that it has a LAN connection, but what's the purpose of that if it's not a smart TV? With a 3-year guarantee it doesn't seem too much of a risk at that price. After reading reviews of what Aldi are selling elsewhere I'm guessing it's a Bauhn model, but I don't know anything about those – not that it really matters, as most TVs seem to have the same components these days.

Edit: after checking the Bauhn website, they don't seem to do a 40" 4K TV.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went to Aldi the other week to get one of the notebooks they had advertised.

Got there 5 mins to 8am. was the only person there for the note book, and they only had ONE in the store, which thankfully I got.

I'm not sure if they'll have many TVs either.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember the old saying, "Buy cheap buy twice". What do you think you will get for that price?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember the old saying, "Buy cheap buy twice". What do you think you will get for that price?
    A 40" 4K TV with a 3-year guarantee for £299.99. The refresh rate is the only thing that concerns me, although I can't imagine that anybody would go to the trouble of making one if its refresh rate made it unwatchable.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    A 40" 4K TV with a 3-year guarantee for £299.99. The refresh rate is the only thing that concerns me, although I can't imagine that anybody would go to the trouble of making one if its refresh rate made it unwatchable.

What version HDMI has it got 1.4 or 2.0, has it got HDCP 2.2, HEVC?

If no to any of the above if will be very limited in what 4k it will show, ie, no Netflix, Amazon (if/ever available via dedicated app) or UHD bluray/broadcasts.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: after checking the Bauhn website, they don't seem to do a 40" 4K TV.
    The sticker on the power consumption label says Bauhn. But isn't Bauhn just Aldi's own brand, so could be made by anyone?
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-13-sep/product-detail/ps/p/40-4k-ultra-hd-tv/
  • Options
    SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    The sticker on the power consumption label says Bauhn. But isn't Bauhn just Aldi's own brand, so could be made by anyone?
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sun-13-sep/product-detail/ps/p/40-4k-ultra-hd-tv/

Aldi's suggestion on other products you might like; TV wall bracket & beer.:)
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you read the review?

★★★★★
    ★★★★★ 1 out of 5 stars. Zaxx · 15 hours ago
    Absolute rubbish
    It is absolute rubbish....

✘ No, I do not recommend this product.
    31 people found this review helpful.61 people did not find this review helpful.
    Helpful?
    Yes · 31 31 people found this review helpful. Click to agree.No · 61 61 people did not find this review helpful. Click to agree.Report
    Response from Aldi Stores Limited:
    Catrina · CSD · 3 hours ago
    Hi Zaxx. Thank you for your rating and review. We are sorry to hear about your experience with our 40" 4K Ultra HD TV. We have taken on board your comments and logged them for the Buying team.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »

★★★★★
    Absolute rubbish
    It is absolute rubbish.....

Not a very helpful review. They could at least say why they thought it was rubbish.

I'm sure they are correct but some people might not mind the reasons why they didn't like it.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother, just save a few hundred more and buy a better one, and that's my opinion BEFORE I even read the one (and only) review on the website, which as above says "it's absolute rubbish"! Not very promising I'd say.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    I've looked at some of the other cheaper 4k options and found the cheapest brand name one to be a Panasonic from Currys PC World for £459.

This has a refresh rate of 200 Hz, but some of the reviews on that mention on other websites mention motion lag on any high speed movement, as well as blurring. Also not all 4k TVs on offer are actually 4k, but UHD http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/feature/a662169/what-is-4k-everything-you-need-to-know-about-ultra-hd-from-what-tv-to-buy-to-available-content.html#~po8QCitkzN3LZY
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I bought one today on the off chance that the Ethernet port would allow me to watch movies located on my pc but I returned it as this was not possible and I couldn't work out why the port was included as even the manual made no mention of its purpose.
    It is a bauhn tv for what it's worth. No smart features.
    I noticed the sound was a bit tinny even for a fairly slim tv. I also thought that while the picture was pretty crisp on standard hd, there was a kind of washed out pink hue to the picture although that could have been some thing that could be corrected by adjusting setting.
    Don't know what the 4k was Like as I don't have any 4k media.
    The one and only review mentioned a few posts above was actuality made before the tv was available.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,601
    Forum Member
    mkultr4 wrote: »
    I bought one today on the off chance that the Ethernet port would allow me to watch movies located on my pc but I returned it as this was not possible and I couldn't work out why the port was included as even the manual made no mention of its purpose.

Might be for software updates?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the sound was a bit tinny even for a fairly slim tv. I also thought that while the picture was pretty crisp on standard hd, there was a kind of washed out pink hue to the picture although that could have been some thing that could be corrected by adjusting setting.
    The one and only review mentioned a few posts above was actuality made before the tv was available.

So it was crap then, no surprises there!!:p

Don't get me wrong, might be good for a second bedroom TV or something, but not a everyday living room one
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »

★★★★★
    Absolute rubbish
    It is absolute rubbish....
    You might have been wise to wait a little longer, rather than relying on a review written before it was even available. :D

I'll wait until there are a few more before reaching any conclusions. It seems odd that somebody else reviewed in when they hadn't even looked at the menu. In my experience, most TVs are appalling when viewed in their original factory settings. I'm slightly more concerned about the sound; I wouldn't need it produce massive volume, but a nicely balanced tone is important. I don't have a sound bar and it would partly cancel out the low price if it was necessary to buy one.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    But as has been said before as the 4K broadcast spec has not been finalised it is rather pointless.
    Except it's not pointless at all. 4K will initially be for subscription services first, then maybe (and that is a huge maybe, as Freeview have stated they have no plans to broadcast 4K in the near future) free to view at some point in the future, by which point most of the 4K sets in circulation now, especially the dirt cheep ones like this, are probably going to have been replaced anyway.
    Almost all the 4K in the immediate future will be streamed content from a provider like BT, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc or possibly a Sky 4K/Virgin 4K box, none of which require integrated 4K tuners in the TV.
  • Options
    skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If the set is Freeview HD, an Ethernet port is a requirement. It's to allow over the top content to be streamed by the broadcasters such as iPlayer via the RedButton on BBC.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    You might have been wise to wait a little longer, rather than relying on a review written before it was even available. :D

I'll wait until there are a few more before reaching any conclusions. It seems odd that somebody else reviewed in when they hadn't even looked at the menu. In my experience, most TVs are appalling when viewed in their original factory settings. I'm slightly more concerned about the sound; I wouldn't need it produce massive volume, but a nicely balanced tone is important. I don't have a sound bar and it would partly cancel out the low price if it was necessary to buy one.

The best advice is not to rush out now and by a 4k TV unless you TV is about to go wrong. I doubt very much whether the on Aldi have on offer is the full 4k TV anyhow, much in the way you can get HD and Full HD TVs

It's worth reading this DS article of 4k TVs It says that unless your TV is due for retirement, it's best to wait until the main broadcasters/sky get on board with 4k, along with TV's that have built in DVB-UHDTV tuners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So there's "4k ready" and "full 4k" TVs? I thought they were either "4k" meaning full 4k or "UHD" or "SUHD", they all mean the same thing no?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfie wrote: »
    I doubt very much whether the on Aldi have on offer is the full 4k TV anyhow, much in the way you can get HD and Full HD TVs
    The Aldi TV is 3840 x 2160 resolution.

Quote from TechRadar:
    Difference between Ultra HD and 4K

Technically, "Ultra High Definition" is actually a derivation of the 4K digital cinema standard. However while your local multiplex shows images in native 4096 x 2160 4K resolution, the new Ultra HD consumer format has a slightly lower resolution of 3840 X 2160.

This is one reason why some brands prefer not to use the 4K label at all, sticking with Ultra HD or UHD instead. However, the numerical shorthand looks likely to stick. As a broad brush label it's so much snappier!
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been better if Tech Radar had done some basic research by looking up current feature films on IMDb. Most films are still released from a 2K digital intermediate with a resolution of 2048X1080 and will not be re post produced in 4K. Most will be shot "shoot and protect for HD TV release" so can be shown in HD by simply trimming the width by about 128 pixels to that format without loss of required picture information or resolution. Some cinema projectors upscale to 4K.

This site shows the current releases in 4K by Sony Pictures.

http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/products/digital-cinema-4k-movie-releases
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I'm slightly at a loss as to why anyone would want a 40" 4k display, even assuming it was a good quality one.

Just how close to a bog standard 40" full HD screen would you have to sit in order to find it lacking in resolution? Probably too close for comfort. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    I'm slightly at a loss as to why anyone would want a 40" 4k display, even assuming it was a good quality one.

Just how close to a bog standard 40" full HD screen would you have to sit in order to find it lacking in resolution? Probably too close for comfort. :)
    If you view them in any shop display, there is a startling difference between them from about 15 to 20 feet away.