✭✭✭
    Website live here: http://settvfree.sky.com/
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djrobmac wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/cwFJ-FkDDnk

Could not be any more excited. This has to be major with a build up like that
    Exactly what is it? And why are you excited?
  • Options
    djrobmacdjrobmac Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Exactly what is it? And why are you excited?

The evolution of Sky. Nobody knows for sure yet but is rumoured to be the biggest announcement for a long long time.
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to think it has to be 4K related.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomvoxx wrote: »
    Got to think it has to be 4K related.

Or setting your TV free, could be to do with Sky Go.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    The evolution of Sky. Nobody knows for sure yet but is rumoured to be the biggest announcement for a long long time.
    I have been waiting for them to allow playback of stored Sky+ recording on devices such as tablets on the home network.

It would be nice if it was this!
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a more 'on demand' on demand like Virgin has rather than a 'download' on demand.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    November 18 is the day that Sky Germany goes DVB-S2 only
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe a more 'on demand' on demand like Virgin has rather than a 'download' on demand.
    Cannot be that due to the wide variety of peoples download speeds! Even now if the download speed is faster than the playback rate (eg. with fibre) it lets you start playback very nearly instantly!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I have been waiting for them to allow playback of stored Sky+ recording on devices such as tablets on the home network.

It would be nice if it was this!

That was a facility that Sky mentioned was under development long ago, but last we heard the idea had been dropped - however, that isn't to say that it might not be a function of the next generation of Sky box (which 'hopefully' is what this might be all about).
  • Options
    Forum Member

Rather a silly suggestion, why would Sky want to move to an inferior system? - and what minor 'advantage' might it give?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cannot be that due to the wide variety of peoples download speeds! Even now if the download speed is faster than the playback rate (eg. with fibre) it lets you start playback very nearly instantly!

It does with decent speed ADSL as well, it just measures for long enough to check the current speed is fast enough, then allows playback pretty well instantly.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you "could not be any more excited" about something that you literally have no clue what it is?
  • Options
    muppetman11muppetman11 Posts: 2,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a facility that Sky mentioned was under development long ago, but last we heard the idea had been dropped - however, that isn't to say that it might not be a function of the next generation of Sky box (which 'hopefully' is what this might be all about).
    I think you'll find that was multiroom streaming ;-) (ie from one PVR to another)
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    Or setting your TV free...
    They are scrapping all charges and going completely FTA.

There would be no bigger announcement than that! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find that was multiroom streaming ;-) (ie from one PVR to another)

Possibly so, but I thought the intention was for both?.

Still, three weeks of wild speculation to come :p
  • Options
    Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The beta was only internal (STB-STB) streaming, no sniff of external or tablet stuff unfortunately. However, when the beta ended, it wasn't 'the end' for the feature. So maybe it'll be back!
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And then we find out whatever it is wasn't worth the hype and will actually be a load of rubbish.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Works fine for Netflix or Amazon or YouTube or basically everyone else.

Only Sky have their weird system (that doesn't work well for everyone, even people on high quality internet connections)
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard all these things before,praps it'll be something good for a change...
  • Options
    djrobmacdjrobmac Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    So you "could not be any more excited" about something that you literally have no clue what it is?

Shut it already lol. Starting an advert with moments in tv history 'first broadcast' 'first colour broadcast' 'satellite TV goes live' etc etc and then what they announce is Sky Atlantic 2? I don't think so. I'm buzzin for something new from Sky, this is it clearly.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Shut it already lol. Starting an advert with moments in tv history 'first broadcast' 'first colour broadcast' 'satellite TV goes live' etc etc and then what they announce is Sky Atlantic 2? I don't think so. I'm buzzin for something new from Sky, this is it clearly.

Well your 'first with' observations rule out 3D TV, UHD TV and Sky Fibre TV delivery, they've been done already!

What else do you reckon could get us all excited?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »

As long as you have a fast internet connection, and/or no concerns about quality.

Only Sky have their weird system (that doesn't work well for everyone, even people on high quality internet connections)

You mean only Sky have a superior system :p

It does work work well for everyone, if it doesn't work for you then you have a problem somewhere? - on a fast connection it starts just as fast as streaming does, which doesn't start instantly either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »

You mean the Sky "weird system" which works far BETTER than Netflix or Amazon - who would almost certainly love to buffer their downloads - but cannot! Sky's downloads are also "exactly as broadcast" DVB quality - not some super-compressed format designed for streaming

With high quality connections (or anything far less than this!) Sky's system takes about 15-30 seconds before deciding that you can start playing the content. Only on VERY low quality connections is it a major issue - as it may have to download all the content when the replay data rate is higher than the download rate.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    As long as you have a fast internet connection, and/or no concerns about quality.

You mean only Sky have a superior system :p

It does work work well for everyone, if it doesn't work for you then you have a problem somewhere? - on a fast connection it starts just as fast as streaming does, which doesn't start instantly either.

Horses for courses, Nige!

Sky catch-up is great for recording to watch later, or from the start on a fast connection, and if you want to skip through adverts.

Normal On-demand (e.g. Youview) is great for watching immediately all in one go (with tea breaks in the adverts like with live TV), or on BBC programmes for skipping rapidly towards the end if that's all you want to see. Sky downloads on my 73Mbps connection at 22-30Mbps which takes 5 minutes for an hour of BBC HD, so Youview is quicker for skipping towards the end.

I use both, depending on what I want to do and when.