Options

Radio Caroline FM?

CeeOCeeO Posts: 860
Forum Member
✭✭
Picking up Radio Caroline tonight on FM here in West Suffolk on 107.5.
Listening to Barry someone doing a show and reading out dedications and requests.

Wasn't aware they had an FM allocation...........
Is this a test or new thing, or someone relaying possibly?

Comments

• Options
    Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a private relay broadcast, as there's nothing official broadcasting.

There's a private relay on 97.5 in Meir, Stoke-on-Trent, that puts out Radio Caroline, and has done for a number of years now, with a 2-3 mile radius, probably doing 2 or 3 watts ERP.
  • Options
    David_RushmerDavid_Rushmer Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Every Monday evening Barry James (who says he lives near Stowmarket, Suffolk) broadcasts a 3 hour 60's and 70's show for Tulip Radio from Spalding, Lincolnshire (107.5 FM and www.tulip-radio.co.uk) from 18.00 to 21.00. Then on alternate Tuesdays he presents another 60's and 70's show on Radio Caroline and Caroline Flashback from 21.00 to midnight. I can hear him on his Tulip Radio show via FM here in Wisbech although not too clearly so usually listen on the web. He talks freely about each show on the 'other' station and I guess bosses of each station don't mind him publicising the other? I expect you were picking up the Tulip frequency by some kind of skip on Monday evening? I hope you listen again as he does play songs not often heard elsewhere as well as the usual sixties 'pop' stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok that explains it - I'm not far from the fens so I probably get a clear run of signal from Wisbech so Tulip radio might be a normal signal and not skip, Ive only just moved out this way from another part of Suffolk so am just getting familiar with what's on the FM dial in this neck of the woods. The 107.5 was decent mono but not quite good enough for stereo on my Pioneer tuner with the supplied indoor T wire antenna.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why but all ready had Tulip radio in my tunein bookmarks must have added it before some time as adding all UK stations I see.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably a private relay broadcast, as there's nothing official broadcasting.

There's a private relay on 97.5 in Meir, Stoke-on-Trent, that puts out Radio Caroline, and has done for a number of years now, with a 2-3 mile radius, probably doing 2 or 3 watts ERP.

Are private relays legal, or is it someone cheekily doing this?
  • Options
    LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are private relays legal, or is it someone cheekily doing this?
    Private relays are legal if you are talking about the super low powered ones intended for in car use to transmit just to you car radio, I know that's not really what you were talking about. All other private relays of higher power such as those mentioned are not legal in the UK. While not legal I'm sure there are quite a few about in the UK that use lowish power FM tx that exceed the legal requirements that cause no interference and are never prosecuted. I used to use one a year or two back particularly in summer when i was out and about in the garden to relay stations like Caroline or my own selection from mp3 player to an FM radio in the garden. Providing people could stand my selection, most unlikely, they could definitely hear it quite a distance, on checking I know it went for a bit over a mile in radius so quite a few covered. This last year the locality was largely deprived due to unlimited data on the mobile which has allowed me to use this and various apps to get good reception anywhere in the car when it has a reasonable mobile signal. This and better WiFi coverage in the garden has led me to make the FM tx pretty much redundant this last year.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for explaining :)
  • Options
    ShimanoShimano Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Every Monday evening Barry James (who says he lives near Stowmarket, Suffolk) broadcasts a 3 hour 60's and 70's show for Tulip Radio from Spalding, Lincolnshire (107.5 FM and www.tulip-radio.co.uk) from 18.00 to 21.00. Then on alternate Tuesdays he presents another 60's and 70's show on Radio Caroline and Caroline Flashback from 21.00 to midnight. I can hear him on his Tulip Radio show via FM here in Wisbech although not too clearly so usually listen on the web. He talks freely about each show on the 'other' station and I guess bosses of each station don't mind him publicising the other? I expect you were picking up the Tulip frequency by some kind of skip on Monday evening? I hope you listen again as he does play songs not often heard elsewhere as well as the usual sixties 'pop' stuff.

Bull. It's a private unofficial relay on 107.5 of Caroline by someone in the Brandon / Lakenheath area, been going for ages and at fairly low power. Not causing any problems.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Caroline relay in Norwich as well, on 87.5. I hear it near ASDA but the signal quickly fades as I drive away from there. Took me ages to work out that it was Caroline, due to the choppy signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still going, weak but ok here - will have to take a drive around to research how far it covers.
  • Options
    RossPatzeltRossPatzelt Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    There's a Caroline relay in Norwich as well, on 87.5. I hear it near ASDA but the signal quickly fades as I drive away from there. Took me ages to work out that it was Caroline, due to the choppy signal.

I live in Norwich and that is quite high up the hill there so may be why you picked It up. Maybe someone in the towers relaying it?
  • Options
    tommytemprastommytempras Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Still a pirate then?