✭✭✭
    Looks like you're on your own, there.

..lonely..;-)

I'll catch this on iPlayer, now that you've highlighted it so thank you
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Aye, it's interesting.
    I remember the old chap Bob from Gogglebox, talking about his wife's dementia, when she couldn't remember who he was, left the Goggleboxers in tears.
    It's all very touching, this is the sort of thing they do on Radio 4, nice to see it on BBC One too.

Lonely. It could be you. It could be me. There are millions of us out there.

The headlines call this 'The Age of Loneliness'. They say it's a major public health issue. A silent epidemic that's starting to kill us. But we don't want to talk about it. No-one really wants to admit they are lonely.

Award-winning film-maker Sue Bourne believes loneliness has to be talked about. It affects so many of us in so many different ways and at so many different stages of our lives. So she went out to find people brave enough to go on camera and talk about their loneliness.

The Age of Loneliness has people of all ages in it, from Isobel the 19-year-old student to Olive the feisty 100-year-old, Ben the divorcee, Jaye the 40-year-old singleton, Richard the 72-year-old internet-dating widower, to Martin, Iain and Christine talking about their mental health problems.

Everyone talks with such remarkable honesty and bravery that you can't help but be touched by their stories.
  • Options
    johnny121johnny121 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    This is a tough watch. Lots of heartbreaking stories.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Looks like you're on your own, there.

Was just coming to say that :(
    ..lonely..;-)

I'll catch this on iPlayer, now that you've highlighted it so thank you

No problem.:)
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See, I'm with this woman - I enjoy my solitude and never feel lonely.

Not sure I could handle living somewhere quite that remote though :o
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too depressing for me to watch out lol. I'm sure everyone gets lonely once in a while, some worse than others.

When I get really lonely/depressed I think of all the fun times I had when I was a kid. Back when none of my mental health issues existed, parents were younger and life was mostly just a lot of fun and games. Was way easier to keep friends and we saw more of our family/cousins and what not. Part of me sometimes wishes I could go back
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Number 1 Daughter and I laugh about my lack of friends, I've cleaned them all out of my life pretty much.
    Then again, she's as cold with most people as I am, she can drop them like a bad habit if required.
    Unlikely they'll be anyone a my Funeral bar my Daughters and their Siblings, I'm not bothered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Martin?? the fella who planned out his Suicide, interesting story of how your mind can take you to some strange places.

Anyone remember that BBC aging and lonlieness program with Dickie Bird and Sylvia Sims among others?
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Anyone watching this?

It's really sad. All seem nice people so it's not like they are pushing people away.

I know people who keep themselves to themselves and let others keep contact but that's their choice unlike these on this show who are desperate for companionship.
  • Options
    johnny121johnny121 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Oh bugger that ending was awful. Poor Lady.
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Number 1 Daughter and I laugh about my lack of friends, I've cleaned them all out of my life pretty much.
    Then again, she's as cold with most people as I am, she can drop them like a bad habit if required.
    Unlikely they'll be anyone a my Funeral bar my Daughters and their Siblings, I'm not bothered.

Really?

Difficult watch, you just want to scoop them all up. That woman leaving her body to science because she doesn't want there to be no one at her funeral, and then her son in pretty much the same situation was interesting, so much said about that story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnny121 wrote: »
    Oh bugger that ending was awful. Poor Lady.

Not sure what to think about that, she really didn't seem to be that happy, making the best of her life?? I think was the phrase she used.

I'm a bit conflicted there.

I missed the beginning, not sure if I really want to download that and watch it again.
    Sort of program you feel better for watching, you've added to your knowledge, but do you really want to watch it again.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a bit of a hidden gem.I've been in the same position of some of the people telling their stories.I just wanted to reach out and give them a wee hug.
    I only saw some of it and i'll watch the full show this weekend.
  • Options
    toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    It was a bit of a hidden gem.I've been in the same position of some of the people telling their stories.I just wanted to reach out and give them a wee hug.
    I only saw some of it and i'll watch the full show this weekend.

It was, and I say this without exaggeration, one of the most moving and affirming documentarys I can remember ever watching.
    An absolute gem indeed.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    toofast wrote: »
    It was, and I say this without exaggeration, one of the most moving and affirming documentarys I can remember ever watching.
    An absolute gem indeed.

People are too busy watching Celeb Big Brother and X Factor shite etc to sort out the good TV.Each to their own i guess.
  • Options
    Yorkie64Yorkie64 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    The focus was very much on people who were widowed/separated and were left alone relatively recently. I have lived alone my whole adult life (not through choice it just never happened). Nobody ever appreciates I am lonely, but as soon as someone is left alone, everyone rallies to help them. At least those who have had someone in the past have memories (& more likely hope of meeting someone because if it's happened before it could happen again). Also, I wonder if when they had partners did they reach out or try to help lonely people (I don't want to generalise but in my experience I would say probably not). The only one on the show I could relate to was the 40 year old lady from Leeds.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie64 wrote: »
    The focus was very much on people who were widowed/separated and were left alone relatively recently. I have lived alone my whole adult life (not through choice it just never happened). Nobody ever appreciates I am lonely, but as soon as someone is left alone, everyone rallies to help them. At least those who have had someone in the past have memories (& more likely hope of meeting someone because if it's happened before it could happen again). Also, I wonder if when they had partners did they reach out or try to help lonely people (I don't want to generalise but in my experience I would say probably not). The only one on the show I could relate to was the 40 year old lady from Leeds.

I do see where you're coming from; the focus on loneliness is so often on the elderly, bereaved widows and widowers. But this programme did at least try to re-address the balance up to a point, by looking at the young uni student, the singleton from Leeds, the Kiwi lady, and the 40-something guy who just played video games. (I found it so, so sad that him and his mother were both so lonely and isolated living 150 miles apart - why don't they help each other by moving in together or meeting up more often?)

The elderly lady who lived like a hermit in a remote wilderness was also an interesting case: she said that bereavement and unpleasant life circumstances were the chief cause of loneliness, and that it was quite possible to be alone but not lonely by finding peace in solitude. I agree with her to an extent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yorkie64 wrote: »
    The focus was very much on people who were widowed/separated and were left alone relatively recently. I have lived alone my whole adult life (not through choice it just never happened). Nobody ever appreciates I am lonely, but as soon as someone is left alone, everyone rallies to help them.
    At least those who have had someone in the past have memories (& more likely hope of meeting someone because if it's happened before it could happen again). Also, I wonder if when they had partners did they reach out or try to help lonely people (I don't want to generalise but in my experience I would say probably not). The only one on the show I could relate to was the 40 year old lady from Leeds.

Who is this everyone who rallies round?
    Even if people (friends and family) do rallie round they don't stay, they go back to their own lives quick enough.
    It sounds like you're expecting those with partners to seek out lonely people, why should they, they've got their own lives to lead.
    How does one find these lonely people, to help, in any case, unless their a friend.
    What help do you think these random punters should be giving.