Options

Migrant News and Discussion

ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
Forum Member
Continuation of: The European Migrant Crisis

The Latest: Austrian refugee cap to be reached before summer
2:00 p.m.

Austrian Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner says the country's newly introduced cap on the number of refugees allowed into the country will likely be reached in a few months.

Mikl-Leitner has told German weekly Welt am Sonntag that the maximum number of 37,500 refugees would probably be reached before the summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/latest-activists-greece-let-migrants-cross-border-114928927.html

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    How bizarre. The police arrested someone within hours though, so someone must have recognised him via other means. Always supposing the got the right guy of course.

I assume people on social media posted the unpixelated photo and because of this sharing and trending of what is a laughable story, the offender actually got more exposure than otherwise.

But it highlights a ridiculous situation. And not every situation will get the same coverage, so presumably other offenders are going undetected because nobody has a clue what they look like.

Still, people in Sweden weren't aware of the background of the child who stabbed another in a school last year. They WERE told the person stabbed was foreign (Ukraine) but there was no mention in the mainstream media as to the offender. It was, again, social media that revealed that information.

There's a definite desire to try and cover up the identity of certain offenders, presumably to avoid panic or retaliation. I sort of understand the logic, as nobody wants random people getting attacked for the actions of others, but sweeping things under the carpet CAN NOT and NEVER WILL work in the long run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Germany rejects about 10 percent of migrants
    While Germany is still taking in around 2,000 refugees a day, it is now denying entry to about 200 others daily at its borders, the interior minister said Sunday.
    http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2016/01/germany-rejects-about-10-percent-of-migrants/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another one.

No Go: Belgian Town Mulls Pool Ban for Migrants After Teen Girls Assaulted
    The mayor of a Belgian town said he wants to ban male asylum seekers from public swimming pools after complaints from women that they harassed by migrants, a local newspaper wrote.
    http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160124/1033631776/belgium-pools-ban.html
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS support - please ignore my message - didn't read your explanation in full, sorry :kitty:
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't DS Forum Support normally have a post at the beginning of a new thread saying something along the lines of:
    "This is a continuation of [link to old thread]"
    in situations like this?
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 71,072
    Administrator
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Don't DS Forum Support normally have a post at the beginning of a new thread saying something along the lines of:
    "This is a continuation of [link to old thread]"
    in situations like this?

We have just added this now.
  • Options
    ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    DS support - please ignore my message - didn't read your explanation in full, sorry :kitty:

So this is the thread now?:blush:
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like how the mod has renamed the thread title. It may stop people asking why there are lots of links to various articles relating to this topic :kitty:
  • Options
    fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re. Taking in unaccompanied children from Calais

Push factor: children protection takes unccompanied minors into care in France (where they don't want to be)

Pull factor: minors in Calais are fastracked into UK care/asylum system (where they do want to be)

Where's the sense in that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IOM: Sea Arrivals of Migrants in Italy, Greece Surge about 10 Times Y/Y in January
    Nearly 37,000 migrants and refugees have arrived in Italy and Greece by sea in the first 21 days of 2016 - about 10 times 2015’s total on this date, the International Organsiation for Migration has said.

“For Greece and the Western Balkans, the increase is well over 20 times 2015’s total on this date,” the IOM has said on its website.

http://www.novinite.com/articles/172774/IOM%3A+Sea+Arrivals+of+Migrants+in+Italy,+Greece+Surge+about+10+Times+Y+Y+in+January

When you look at those staggering numbers & see how many deaths there have been (113 so far this year) it's easier to see why the migrants take the risk. 113 out of 37,000 is still pretty good odds of arriving safely.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God that they started a new thread. I didn't know what Electra was going to do with himself. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Latest: Activists to Greece: Let migrants cross border
    1:50 p.m.
    Demonstrators have gathered for a second day near Greece’s border with Turkey, calling on the government to grant safe passage to refugees at the frontier.
    Several hundred protesters traveled to the border town of Orestiada, near a 10.5-kilometer (6 1/2-mile) border fence.

http://www.srnnews.com/the-latest-activists-to-greece-let-migrants-cross-border/

Update
    The Latest: Greek Police Keep Protesters Away From Border
    2:50 p.m.

Police in northern Greece have blocked protesters from reaching a border post on the Greek-Turkish frontier.

Riot police set up the blockade in the border village of Kastanies, where several hundred activists burned a European Union flag and chanted "open the borders."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/latest-activists-greece-migrants-cross-border-36483188
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some dramatic, good quality video of the Calais incursion from Ruptly TV. Best I've seen so far, tbh.
    France: Police arrest 24 after refugees storm Calais ferry
    Police made 24 arrests after a group of 50 refugees and migrants stormed the MS Spirit of Britain ferry in Calais, Saturday.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL-Y4MQd6EA

And from the demonstration beforehand
    France: Tensions flare as Calais resident points gun at pro-refugee rally
    Tensions flared between a small group of local residents and pro-refugee activists during a rally in Calais, Saturday. Both groups threw missiles and shouted insults at each other before one local resident appeared outside his house carrying a gun. The man briefly pointed the gun at the demonstration, which was made up of refugees, migrants and pro-refugee activists, before taking the weapon back into his home.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdZLMUKJOJg

And another arson attack in Germany
    Germany: Suspected arson attack at planned refugee shelter in Barsinghausen
    A planned refugee centre in Barsinghausen was badly damaged after a fire broke out at the facility on Saturday. Police are treating the incident as a deliberate arson attack after multiple gas cylinders were found at the shelter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJM4MNC7od8
  • Options
    ARYMARYM Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FIN-MAN wrote: »
    Thank God that they started a new thread. I didn't know what Electra was going to do with himself. :p

Electra did you have a sex change ?;-)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Continuation of: The European Migrant Crisis

The Latest: Austrian refugee cap to be reached before summer
    2:00 p.m.

Austrian Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner says the country's newly introduced cap on the number of refugees allowed into the country will likely be reached in a few months.

Mikl-Leitner has told German weekly Welt am Sonntag that the maximum number of 37,500 refugees would probably be reached before the summer.

http://news.yahoo.com/latest-activists-greece-let-migrants-cross-border-114928927.html

one has to ask why are you so enthralled with the migrant crisis and links to news articles about it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ARYM wrote: »

Not that I remember :kitty:
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ARYM wrote: »
    one has to ask why are you so enthralled with the migrant crisis and links to news articles about it?

I think SHE :) is providing a great service. By the amount of posts in the other thread I would say that many would agree with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Are you talking to me, or everyone?

It's a very wide ranging subject with many different facets - humanitarian, social, political etc. To really get an understanding of it, we need information from many different sources, as one thing can very much impact on another. Something that happens in one country today, may affect how things happen elsewhere in a day or two & while some stories provoke more of a reaction than others, they all fit together to make the whole. It's a bit like a jigsaw. We need as many pieces as possible to see the picture.

It seems all the regular contributors to the thread are 'enthralled' with the subject but some of us have a bit more time to provide news links as talking points.
    I think SHE :) is providing a great service. By the amount of posts in the other thread I would say that many would agree with me.

Thank you. :) I appreciate what you say but I'm not the only one doing it.
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member

Maybe because the level of MSM reporting via the usual media channels is woefully inadequate and in some cases censored and has been documented as such.

Maybe because there is more open honest discussion from every corner of the spectrum here and despite some views coming from what appear to be 'far right' and 'far left' the majority are fairly centered, and the thread (previous threads) self regulate quite well. Even the most crazy of people have a point to make which can and is on occasion salient (that is subjective for each individual of course).

Maybe because the European migrant crisis has the potential to be the most defining moment for Europe and the European Union that we will see in our lifetimes and will certainly affect the lifetimes of the immediate generations to follow.

Maybe..........

Edit: ......... further to Electra's reply (always typing quicker than me :))
  • Options
    OxygenatedOxygenated Posts: 1,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Electra, and all the other people who contribute to providing information on the migrant crises, are just fantastic IMHO :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wrong Time to Party: German Night Clubs Ban Refugees From Entry
    A number of entertainment facilities in the German city of Freiburg have banned refugees from entry amid several cases of sexual harassment, the German newspaper Badische Zeitung reported.

According to the newspaper, "the refugees are either not allowed or restricted to enter clubs and discos in the city." Earlier it was reported about several incidents when asylum seekers were said to have sexually harassed and robbed the visitors.

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160124/1033633953/wrong-time-to-party.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Germany’s Merkel Admits Some Refugees Are From ‘Countries Where Hatred of Israel and Jews Is Widespread’
    After allowing more than one million migrants to enter Germany last year, Chancellor Angela Merkel now warns that some asylum seekers have come from countries “where hatred of Israel and anti-Semitism is widespread.”

“We must take care, specifically also in youth [from] countries where hatred of Israel and Jews is widespread,” Merkel said in an interview posted on her government website Saturday, according to translated quotes published in the Times of Israel.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/01/24/germanys-merkel-admits-some-refugees-are-from-countries-where-hatred-of-israel-and-jews-is-widespread/

Well, this is.......unexpected. Has it taken her this long to notice, or just to admit it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Berlin's plan to build Tempelhof refugee district beset with problems
    One and a half years ago, the people of Berlin voted in a referendum to keep their beloved Tempelhof

Thursday, the same people turned out to hear the government's plans to annul the referendum temporarily in order to build the largest refugee camp in Germany, a plan that has incited rage among opposition politicians and citizens' groups.

Berlin's government, a coalition of the centre-left Social Democratics (SPD) and the centre-right Christian Democratic Union (CDU), is looking to use the huge plot of open land to house up to 7,000 refugees in former airplane hangars and newly built containers near the main airport building.

https://about.hr/news/europe/berlins-plan-build-tempelhof-refugee-district-beset-problems-7543
  • Options
    NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Germany’s Merkel Admits Some Refugees Are From ‘Countries Where Hatred of Israel and Jews Is Widespread’
    After allowing more than one million migrants to enter Germany last year, Chancellor Angela Merkel now warns that some asylum seekers have come from countries “where hatred of Israel and anti-Semitism is widespread.”

“We must take care, specifically also in youth [from] countries where hatred of Israel and Jews is widespread,” Merkel said in an interview posted on her government website Saturday, according to translated quotes published in the Times of Israel.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/01/24/germanys-merkel-admits-some-refugees-are-from-countries-where-hatred-of-israel-and-jews-is-widespread/

Well, this is.......unexpected. Has it taken her this long to notice, or just to admit it?

Baby steps......
This discussion has been closed.