Options

TalkRadio

Comments

• Options
    radamfiradamfi Posts: 14,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katia, regular caller to Iain, just called Jake Yapp and Ash, talking about becoming vegan.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Nigel from Maidstone's call last night to the Iain Lee show on talkRADIO. The low-spirited presenter was feeling down already and had just spent about 10 minutes talking openly on-air about his aged mother being in hospital in pretty poor health, .... when Nigel rings in.

I think what followed was Nigel being tested with the most searching questions I've ever heard asked of him. On first hearing it my view was the presenter was too hard on him, but having listened more and thought harder I now don't think he was too harshly dealt with.

Nigel has an agenda when he rings a radio station, he doesn't want to listen to what's being said and have a conversation he just wants to play his songs so my view is you get what's coming if you ring a radio show especially a show like the Iain Lee show.

Just my view and others may think differently.

>>>http://bit.ly/1XUEJGq<<<
    I don't think Iain was anywhere near hard enough on Nigel once he began getting his teeth into him.

Nigel clearly has a very low IQ. He may be a moron or even an imbecile on the IQ level. I think idiot level is just 25.

I suspect he's never been able to get any real job in his life either. I often wonder how he's fixed up financially.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 Mikes Porky Quiz.

Rolls Royce.

>>>http://bit.ly/1TMzCGO<<<
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I don't think Iain was anywhere near hard enough on Nigel once he began getting his teeth into him.

Nigel clearly has a very low IQ. He may be a moron or even an imbecile on the IQ level. I think idiot level is just 25.

I suspect he's never been able to get any real job in his life either. I often wonder how he's fixed up financially.

It's entirely possible Nigel has worked in the past but having heard him speaking on the radio many times over many years I have never once heard him mention anything about it which leads me to think he probably never has worked and just lived off the state and his mother.

Many people do this, I even know one, he is actually a bit like Nigel, absolutely nothing wrong with him physically but mentally not 100% there. But what he has is the gift of conning the job centre people every time they contact him.

When I was made redundant after 40 years in work someone told me to go to the job centre and I would be able to claim something to live on. I went and the lady I spoke to who was really nice apologised to me and said "I'm very sorry but you don't qualify" she then added "it makes my blood boil that I see hundreds of foreign people who all qualify but I can't pay you anything"

I walked out of that building not disappointed but actually pleased to have been told the honest truth by a work & pensions person and I honestly didn't feel bitter at all.
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did find that call between Iain and Nigel pretty unconfortable to listen to to be honest, although I agree with the other posts that Iain dealt with him well. I honestly think he's just not very well-- perhaps for his own sake stations should stop putting him on air to make a fool of himself? It sounds to me like some of his 'friends' on facebook and twitter like to see him shown up, for example asking him to ring Iain and play his Manchester United jingle to him. Even listening to Nigel for 2 minutes, It's clear that he has some sort of condition and I fear that people take advantage of his nature. I have to be honest, I'd be surprised if he's ever been able to work-- I'm not sure how easy he'd have found it to get a job even if he'd wanted one. I don't mean my post to be patronising in any way, I don't mind the guy and wish him all the best I just worry about him a bit.
  • Options
    soma_soma_ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    is galloway on talkradio ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soma_ wrote: »
    is galloway on talkradio ?

He's probably starting in June, after the EU referendum.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I like Penny Smith, but I sometimes wish she'd let her guests speak without interrupting them quite so much... There's a guy here trying to make a point and tell some stories, and she's ruined it on a few occasions by butting in again and again. He's starting to just talk over her interruptions, but she remains apparently blithely unaware!
  • Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Penny Smith also but that Saturday breakfast show seems a bit of a mess to me.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    radamfi wrote: »
    He's probably starting in June, after the EU referendum.
    He's not standing in the Tooting by-election (probably couldn't find enough people to stump up the money so soon after the mayoral race).

Or he's finally realised no one is interested in him any more.

edit: as if!
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Nigel from Maidstone's call last night to the Iain Lee show on talkRADIO. The low-spirited presenter was feeling down already and had just spent about 10 minutes talking openly on-air about his aged mother being in hospital in pretty poor health, .... when Nigel rings in.

I think what followed was Nigel being tested with the most searching questions I've ever heard asked of him. On first hearing it my view was the presenter was too hard on him, but having listened more and thought harder I now don't think he was too harshly dealt with.

Nigel has an agenda when he rings a radio station, he doesn't want to listen to what's being said and have a conversation he just wants to play his songs so my view is you get what's coming if you ring a radio show especially a show like the Iain Lee show.

Just my view and others may think differently.

>>>http://bit.ly/1XUEJGq<<<

I think Nigel has been waiting with baited breath for the return of talkRADIO, as they seem to be the only station that will allow him on air.

Of course, he was a regular on talkSPORT before it became a 24 hour Top 6 Premier League station, but he was obviously bereft when TS stopped doing current affairs because the likes of LBC & the BBC would not entertain him.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I like Penny Smith also but that Saturday breakfast show seems a bit of a mess to me.

I'm really enjoying most of the talkRADIO output in the week (although JHB will always be a turn-off for me), but I haven't really got to grips with the weekend schedule in general. I'm pleased that they have gone for a magazine 'appt to listen' style, but I'm not convinced that the amount of repeats from Saturday to Sunday is a going to attract many listeners. I wonder if this is a temporary measure or a long-term plan? The weekends in general still sound a bit messy to me.

That said, I have really enjoyed Jake Yapp's Sunday mornings when I've caught him. It's an ideal start to a Sunday and suitably light-hearted. The weekend show I'm most disappointed in is Bob Mills. I've dipped in and out a few times and tried to have an extended listen, too, but so far, it's felt like eavesdropping on a comedy clique's ramblings and it's been all a bit boring, to tell the truth. Bob sounds like he hasn't planned the show and would rather be somewhere else most of the time.

I was wondering what other people made of the weekends so far?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying most of the talkRADIO output in the week (although JHB will always be a turn-off for me), but I haven't really got to grips with the weekend schedule in general. I'm pleased that they have gone for a magazine 'appt to listen' style, but I'm not convinced that the amount of repeats from Saturday to Sunday is a going to attract many listeners. I wonder if this is a temporary measure or a long-term plan? The weekends in general still sound a bit messy to me.

If I recall, George Galloway will be doing three shows a week. We've longed known he's doing the Friday 7-10pm slot. So the other shows may be at the weekend. People listen to the radio less at the weekend compared to weekdays so perhaps they don't really care that much about the weekends and the repeats fill time at low cost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Nigel has been waiting with baited breath for the return of talkRADIO, as they seem to be the only station that will allow him on air.

Of course, he was a regular on talkSPORT before it became a 24 hour Top 6 Premier League station, but he was obviously bereft when TS stopped doing current affairs because the likes of LBC & the BBC would not entertain him.

To be honest I don't think Iain Lee is all that fussed about him either but lets him on because of the lack of callers at the moment. I don't think Iain likes how he only comes on to plug and play his god damned awful music, should he start getting full switchboards which is obviously what they're after I don't think we'll hear him as much.

Nigel's music is god dammed rotten awful and his voice absolutely grates on my nerves but somehow he thinks he sounds great and has a rare talent he's gotta be nuts. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »

That said, I have really enjoyed Jake Yapp's Sunday mornings when I've caught him. It's an ideal start to a Sunday and suitably light-hearted. The weekend show I'm most disappointed in is Bob Mills. I've dipped in and out a few times and tried to have an extended listen, too, but so far, it's felt like eavesdropping on a comedy clique's ramblings and it's been all a bit boring, to tell the truth. Bob sounds like he hasn't planned the show and would rather be somewhere else most of the time.

I was wondering what other people made of the weekends so far?

My favourite weekend shows are The Radio Hustle with Alexis Conran, Best of The 2 Mikes, Best of Late Nights with Iain Lee and The Unexplained with Howard Hughes I download them all and load them up onto my MP3 player along with tonnes of other stuff on LBC and BBC Radio 5.

I really don't listen very much to live radio all my stuff is recorded and listened to via MP3 player it cuts out all the non-content garbage and I do similar with television.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked Ellie on Twitter if she would be returning to work experience punditry (reviewing hipster nonsense) and she has replied "hopefully soon".
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel from Maidstone!! I haven't heard him since he use to call the great Mike Graham and he wasn't the only night time nutter that phoned in regularly................... MAN UNITED WON THE CUP......LOL LOL :D

I must tune in my DAB to listen more because R5 and LBC have become very lacking lately .

Late night nutters return to Talkradio ...............Just love it.

Howard Hughes just love his nonsense shows just sit back listen think loons and relax.....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just checked the schedule and Jake Yapp is in for Jon Holmes all week as well as next Monday.

I don't remember that being mentioned on Friday and there's nothing about it on Jake's or Jon's Twitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just listened to the end of yesterday morning's show and Jake said he would be covering for Jon on Wednesday.
  • Options
    Mark_Jones13Mark_Jones13 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    If I recall, George Galloway will be doing three shows a week. We've longed known he's doing the Friday 7-10pm slot. So the other shows may be at the weekend. People listen to the radio less at the weekend compared to weekdays so perhaps they don't really care that much about the weekends and the repeats fill time at low cost.
    I thought it was just the one show he was doing and it was meant to start a few weeks back. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was just the one show he was doing and it was meant to start a few weeks back. :confused:

When the talkRADIO schedule was announced before launch, he was down for Fridays only. Subsequently it was mentioned somewhere that he was actually going to be doing three shows a week but I can't find the post. I don't think I dreamed that as there was discussion as to whether the other shows would be at the weekend or on other weekdays at 7pm, replacing Jonny & Ash.

To be honest, I'm now starting to doubt myself and maybe I did dream it. Does anyone else remember anything about Galloway doing more than one show a week?
  • Options
    radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just checked the schedule and Jake Yapp is in for Jon Holmes all week as well as next Monday.

I don't remember that being mentioned on Friday and there's nothing about it on Jake's or Jon's Twitter.

it cant be true then if its not on twitter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The schedule is wrong. Jon is on as usual. Sky News instead of Victoria.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the talkRADIO schedule was announced before launch, he was down for Fridays only. Subsequently it was mentioned somewhere that he was actually going to be doing three shows a week but I can't find the post. I don't think I dreamed that as there was discussion as to whether the other shows would be at the weekend or on other weekdays at 7pm, replacing Jonny & Ash.

To be honest, I'm now starting to doubt myself and maybe I did dream it. Does anyone else remember anything about Galloway doing more than one show a week?

I only remember it being said he was doing Friday nights Rada but I sincerely hope it's three nights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they have no newsreader, the team are going to do the news themselves, enabling them to continue doing headline hijack which would be a bit tricky if they used Sky News/IRN.